Sign in to follow this  
Bobykim

Deleting FSX keybindings

Hello,

After flying FS for 12 years i have a noob question :)

Im using the registered FSUIPC version for my control mappings. I use PMDG with AES and Pro Flight Emulator. Those three demand a lot of key bindings. To make sure i do not have any FSX binding conflict i want to delete all default FSX key bindings. However...when i manually delete them the re-apear after a FSX restart. Is there a way to permanently  get rid of the default bindings?

Greetings from a nice summerday Holland

Boby

Locate and open the Standard.xml file with an editor.

Remove all entries of this kind (just delete all four rows for each key):

<Entry>
            <Key>CTRL+SHIFT+P</Key>
            <Down>TOGGLE_AIRPORT_NAME_DISPLAY</Down>
 </Entry>

But leave the rest untouched. Also make a backup of this file, sometimes after a crash it is set back to default.

Every now and then I get a pop-up asking me if I wish to "keep my key bindings".  I didn't even know that I had "key bindings".  What are they anyway, and should I say Yes or No to keeping them ?

Hi,

It's my guess that some program other than FSX is restoring the original key assignments. I've deleted many of the defaults and have never had one re-assigned.

Jim F.

Locate and open the Standard.xml file with an editor.

Remove all entries of this kind (just delete all four rows for each key):

<Entry>
            <Key>CTRL+SHIFT+P</Key>
            <Down>TOGGLE_AIRPORT_NAME_DISPLAY</Down>
 </Entry>

But leave the rest untouched. Also make a backup of this file, sometimes after a crash it is set back to default.

Thanks, ill give that a try!!

A couple things. First, there are two standard.xml files, the default one in the main fsx folder and the active one in the fsx.cfg controls subfolder. I don't know about the keyboard, but I have seen instances where fsx has copied joystick settings from the default file to the active one. So you might want to back up the default one and copy your active one back into the default file. Second, it is possible to rename the control files from standard.xml in fsx.cfg, and then create (or copy) new files. If you do this I would create both the default and active files and use the same (new) filename for each (still in the normal locations). I have done this in the past along with the ability to specify different fsx.cfg files in the fsx command line switch to have different setups available depending on aircraft (I have since switched to using fsuipc for all).

scott s.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the great explanation! Probably that was the reason i got all defaults back after a fsx restart. Im going to backup the files anyways and i'll let you know if it worked out for me.

Boby

should I say Yes or No to keeping them ?

Always say no to key bindings children. Key bindings are bad m'kay?

HI, I tried out to delete all entires in FSX/Standard.XML (default) and in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Standard.XML but everytime I restart FSX all default keys revert back.

And I noted that in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ has been created a new file called Standard.XMLX

This is very annoying problem, does someone knows how to fix it?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Hi,

Are you deleting all of the default key assignments one at a time or using some other method?

Jim F

Hi Jim, if I delete pne by one inside FSX and click OK works fine, but if I open Standard.XML and delete all entries, save and exit and then restart FSX mothing happen, all default keys are there, perfectly untouched.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Hi,

My guess is that when you delete all the entries from Standard.xml, FSX sees something it doesn't like and copies the template Standard.xml in its place.

That "Standard.xmlx" is not created by FSX so another programs is creating that. I don't know much trouble it would be to disable the addon programs that effect the mapping but that seems to be the best option. I Googled "Standard.xmlx" and didn'tget any results.

Jim F.

Ok guys, I solved the problem. Do this:

1) open FSX and delete all keys you don't want (one by one) then click ok. Do the same with axis if you want

2) close FSX

3) open FSX again. Stop. Look at the folder USERNAME, now you will see a modified Standard.xml file, you note it because its size is smaller than original one in FSX main folder

4) this is the file you modified and want to keep, so make a copy of this file.

5) close FSX and overwrite Standard.xml in the FSX main folder (do a backup copy before) with your modified one

6) that's all

7) now if you try to delete Standar.xml in USERNAME folder, FSX rebuild it from Standar.xml file in FSX main folder, but this file is your modified template and no the stock one!

Now everytime you install a fresh copy of FSX or need a preformatted Standard.xml file that meet your need simply use your "modified" file as a template for that in USERNAME.

I find usefull information here:

http://www.jimspage.co.nz/fsxinputs.htm

And take the espiration to try and works fine for me.

Let me know.

Ciao

Riccardo

Ok guys, I solved the problem. Do this:

1) open FSX and delete all keys you don't want (one by one) then click ok. Do the same with axis if you want

2) close FSX

3) open FSX again. Stop. Look at the folder USERNAME, now you will see a modified Standard.xml file, you note it because its size is smaller than original one in FSX main folder

4) this is the file you modified and want to keep, so make a copy of this file.

5) close FSX and overwrite Standard.xml in the FSX main folder (do a backup copy before) with your modified one

6) that's all

7) now if you try to delete Standar.xml in USERNAME folder, FSX rebuild it from Standar.xml file in FSX main folder, but this file is your modified template and no the stock one!

Now everytime you install a fresh copy of FSX or need a preformatted Standard.xml file that meet your need simply use your "modified" file as a template for that in USERNAME.

I find usefull information here:

http://www.jimspage.co.nz/fsxinputs.htm

And take the espiration to try and works fine for me.

Let me know.

Ciao

As bad luck would have it, for the first time, my FSX keymappings are defaulting for unknown reasons.  Jim says they default for "various reasons".  Luckily, I saw this thread and your solution, and I thank you for your expertise.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Dennis you are wellcome, I'm glad you solve your problem.

Now every time will be more simple to handle keys with EZCA or others addons.

Personally I don't use noone default FSX keys, so my template is usefull for install/reinstal purpose of EZCA, and maybe other addons that could conflict with default FSX keys.

Riccardo