Sign in to follow this  
IAF747

Asiana crash probe: South Korea not happy with NTSB disclosures--LA Times

South Korea not happy. Wonder why?

"It's true that captains acted in an authoritarian way in the cockpit in the past, but that's almost nonexistent now," South Korea's top daily newspaper, Chosun Ilbo, quoted an unidentified airline captain as saying Thursday. "It's unimaginable for a captain to ignore the first officer in an emergency." 

And the 2nd quote near the beginning of the article. Why would South Korea be unhappy? I wonder how cosy their regulator is with Asiana and KAL?

Herman said analysis of the cockpit voice recorder indicated that until only shortly before impact, the pilots were unaware that the jet was flying far below the target speed and altitude for a safe landing. She added that there was no malfunction of the autopilot, auto-throttle or flight director systems. 

South Korean officials are not happy with the NTSB's presentation of that information, or its disclosure that the pilots ordered the passengers to remain seated for 90 seconds after the plane came to a halt, until the cabin crew noticed a fire.  

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-asiana-crash-investigation-20130712,0,1413037.story

Daniel

South Korea not happy. Wonder why?

"It's true that captains acted in an authoritarian way in the cockpit in the past, but that's almost nonexistent now," South Korea's top daily newspaper, Chosun Ilbo, quoted an unidentified airline captain as saying Thursday. "It's unimaginable for a captain to ignore the first officer in an emergency."

And the 2nd quote near the beginning of the article. Why would South Korea be unhappy? I wonder how cosy their regulator is with Asiana and KAL?

Herman said analysis of the cockpit voice recorder indicated that until only shortly before impact, the pilots were unaware that the jet was flying far below the target speed and altitude for a safe landing. She added that there was no malfunction of the autopilot, auto-throttle or flight director systems.

South Korean officials are not happy with the NTSB's presentation of that information, or its disclosure that the pilots ordered the passengers to remain seated for 90 seconds after the plane came to a halt, until the cabin crew noticed a fire.

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-asiana-crash-investigation-20130712,0,1413037.story

Daniel

Who cares if their happy or not the truth is the truth. What the heck do they want, keep this all a secrete so they can save face? This is exactly the problem, three guys sitting in the cockpit two afraid to speak up to save face. You have a jumbo jet plowed into a KSFO runway with three lives lost, there's no face to save. Addressing the issue head on and kill the age old cockpit culture is the best face they can put on and actually be serious about the issue...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Incompetence usually does cause embarrassment. They should be more concerned with the quality of training and who is really qualified.

They are suing the TV station for defamation? Really???? I think the defamation is sitting out there in the middle of the KSFO air field (or was) and in a bazillion copies of video on the net that they pretty much brought on themselves. What a bunch of sophomoric management newbs these guys are. They are just further embarrassing themselves. And the U.S. lawyers advising them must be right from the Florida Attorney's General's office; this is about deflection, obscuring, diversion, hide the pea, not defamation. Good grief.

Guest BeaverDriver

Uhhh, I think this  (http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/15/wit-tu-lo-asiana-to-sue-san-francisco-tv-station-that-aired-phoney-racially-offensive-names/) is what they are suing over. And for good reason. Regardless of what else Asiana may have done, the TV station (and the moron who fed them the false info) is guilty of extremely poor taste and offensive behavior. I'm sure the people seriously hurt and the families of those who didn't survive didn't see much humour in this  :huh:

Glenn

They are suing the TV station for defamation? Really???? I think the defamation is sitting out there in the middle of the KSFO air field (or was) and in a bazillion copies of video on the net that they pretty much brought on themselves. What a bunch of sophomoric management newbs these guys are. They are just further embarrassing themselves. And the U.S. lawyers advising them must be right from the Florida Attorney's General's office; this is about deflection, obscuring, diversion, hide the pea, not defamation. Good grief.

Why Florida might I ask???

FS2020 

Uhhh, I think this  (http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/15/wit-tu-lo-asiana-to-sue-san-francisco-tv-station-that-aired-phoney-racially-offensive-names/) is what they are suing over. And for good reason. Regardless of what else Asiana may have done, the TV station (and the moron who fed them the false info) is guilty of extremely poor taste and offensive behavior. I'm sure the people seriously hurt and the families of those who didn't survive didn't see much humour in this  :huh:

Glenn

Actually I think the families feel the pilots are morons as well and should be ostracized.  Fun was not made of the passengers but the moronic pilots who had every opportunity to avert this disaster.

FS2020 

Actually I think the families feel the pilots are morons as well and should be ostracized.  Fun was not made of the passengers but the moronic pilots who had every opportunity to avert this disaster.

Agreed.

Better not to go there. B)

I'm curious because there's a few different court cases that are questionable.  The results of this last one not so much...

FS2020 

I'm curious because there's a few different court cases that are questionable.  The results of this last one not so much...

Like I said, let's not go there.

Glenn

Totally agree!

But it just goes to show that some new casters are just a pretty face put in front of a camera to blurt out whatever the teleprompter scrolls in front of them.  

I mean....if you watched the video, after the 3rd name.....most people watching probably realized that they were not real names.  I mean they had someone create a graphic with the burned out fuse next to the names... he/she had to type in those names.....

Let's see...

1. Sum Tee Wong

2. Wi Tu Lo

By the time I got to number 3, I would have been bringing it to the editor and saying "Do you think all 4 of these names are legit?  If we don't verify our source before we broadcast this, we might look like idiots."

They of course were in a rush to be the 1st to release the pilot names...and boy...did they get...won't even say it out of respect to the tragedy associated with this "news" report.

Regards,

Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Asiana should be banned from US and European airspace until it provides evidence that it has upped its pilot and crew training. Check rides by FAA/CAA etc should be mandatory. 

Supporter.png

John

Lets be mature here people. The thread is about South Korea not being happy with the NTSB, not FOX making a stupid mistake (which I don't really want to talk about).

Either start another thread to talk about at or if it doesn't stop I'll ask Tom to lock it.