Sign in to follow this  
IAF747

Asiana crash probe: South Korea not happy with NTSB disclosures--LA Times

Look... Deb Hersman told it like it was; she's not known for mincing words.

If the South Koreans didn't like it well, too bad. This isn't about 'saving face', or political correctness... this is about an avoidable aircraft accident which could have been much worse than it was.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Lets be mature here people. The thread is about South Korea not being happy with the NTSB, not FOX making a stupid mistake (which I don't really want to talk about).

Either start another thread to talk about at or if it doesn't stop I'll ask Tom to lock it.

News is moving fast and with my second post I had two windows up one showing Asiana prepped to sue the TV Station and your thread here.  We totally took this thread toward Asiana as they are actually trying to sue someone in a time like this.  Maybe they think that'll lesson the financial burden of over 300 law suites.  All of this ties together but frankly South Korea mad about this event when we just saved their #*#* from North Korea is a lesser story at this point.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I see this kind of 'hey, we're the real victims in all of this' rot in Japan as well although I can't imagine they'd show the poor taste to actually litigate at a time like this.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Check rides by FAA/CAA etc should be mandatory

I'm sure they have their hands full in checking the US crews let alone the plethora of foreign pilots flying in and out.

I'm sure they have their hands full in checking the US crews let alone the plethora of foreign pilots flying in and out.

No excuse. Check rides should be mandatory.

Asiana should be banned from US and European airspace until it provides evidence that it has upped its pilot and crew training.

I could only find one other fatal passenger crash in 1993 under Asiana passenger operations while I could list at least 20 if not more pilot error crashes between 93 and today from US based airlines. Only 2 crashes in the span of 20 years is a rather impressive record.

Well then the FAA would probably need to do a mass hiring of check airmen but then again I don't think they would have such jurisdiction on pilots who are licensed by a governing body that is other than the FAA.

The FAA cannot, it's not under it's juristiction, in the same way the IAA cannot check every single pilot flying intro Ireland, we have to trust the other regulators to do their job.

The FAA has no authority over foreign carriers. Personally, I am an Irish citizen, licensed by the IAA, in command of an aircraft flying under the Irish Flag, the FAA doesn't come into it other than for their differences document. The have no authority to revoke my license or inspect me, that is the job of the IAA. They can make clear the laws that differ in US airspace from the ICAO convention, and I'll obey then, but that's it. The FAA is there to oversee American Operators, not foreign ones.

What needs to be done here is the Korean Aviation Authority (or whatever the correct name is) needs to conduct more thorough checks, and the airline itself needs to be implement proper CRM procedures. If the FAA does not trust the judgement of the KAA then they may ban airlines from Korea from their airspace. If they're not happy with Asiana they can ban them from their airspace, but they cannot revoke licences or inspect pilots of foreign carriers. It's not their remit. They don't have the staff for it.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Thanks Ro for clearing that up! Europe at some stage banned carriers like Garuda for a while or was it Birgenair? I could be wrong.

I know Garuda has done more silly things than accidents. Like trying to land on highways..... Or towns one hindered kilometres away......

Yes, thanks for that information, Ro.

I wonder if the FAA/CAA/IAA have processes in place upon which they can make an informed decision on whether or not to 'trust' the KAA. Somehow I doubt it.

Supporter.png

John