Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Freeware Appreciation Week

Hey AVSIM,

I saw a post in a thread that got me to the point I thought I would drop a line here as a suggestion...  "Freeware Appreciation Week".  The post actually suggested a Freeware Appreciation Day, but then I thought, heck, why not make it a whole week?

AVSIM could be "ground zero" the effort here, maybe even payware developers would help sponser in some way (I'm sure many of them started as freeware developers).  I forsee a week of AVSIM articles on freeware developer interviews, tips on freeware design, freeware reviews, freeware tips & tools,  Hardware "how-to's", etc.,  I could go on and on.   Sure it would take sever months to plan but maybe could be also used as a recruiting tool for new members and even promote to get new people into the hobby (something I fear is severely lacking).

Just wanted to throw it out there and see if it stuck on somethin'

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Clutch, the FS9 Kia Tak Scenery you did has got to be the best scenery ever, in my book. If there's an award available then, you should get it!  Well done and thank you.  Now how about FSX ;-)

Who do I appreciate and value in this category? SunSkyJet and in my experience there is no equal!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I fly (and land on) a ton of FSX military freeware - my sim would be empty without it. Then there's all the other stuff: the Bluesky photo-scenery, the 40+ AN2 paints, all my wonderful AI packages, the list just goes on and on...

Basically, yes - I think a Freeware Week is an awesome idea. :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Frankly it would take a month to do it justice, possibly September with a featured producer each day and interviews with the teams behind some of the large AI , repaint outfits and prolific producers , and some Legendary names like Milton , Dino , Dimetry ..

Best CJ

I posted an earlier response to this in another thread. Do I have four volunteers to be "Freeware Evangelists"?

Here's a shout out for a few others, especially for the FS 9 crowd...

Tim Conrad, Brian Gladden, Kaz Ito, Mike Stone and Tom Gibson for their many airplane contributions, Glenn Copeland and Kirk Mitchell for their Gauges and Panels, Tom Fica and Frank Betts for their many AK and CA scenery packages, and Holger Sandmann for his work with Mesh... Also, we cannot omit the many freeware contributions our dear departed comrade David 'Opa' Marshall made while he was with us (RIP).

Showcase and Review some current and 'classic' freeware airplanes, Repainting tips, a Scenery Design tutorial for Dummies (like me)... the list can go on and on.

Tom... what duties would a "Freeware Evangelist" have? Got the Polyester leisure suit, and the Good Book; anything else?

:P

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Tom... what duties would a "Freeware Evangelist" have? Got the Polyester leisure suit, and the Good Book; anything else?

Here is what my thoughts were... We would create a special forum where only selected freeware reviewers would be allowed to start topics. Those topics would be reviews of freeware placed in the AVSIM Library (just AVSIM's, no others. After all, we don't want to advertise other libraries, now do we?). These reviewers (otherwise known as "evangelists") would do a in-depth review of the freeware add-on, plane, scenery, util, etc. The point would be to give fellow community members a chance to see a review of these selected freeware and an opportunity to comment on the review and the freeware itself.

A lot of great freeware goes un-noticed or unseen by members and the reviews would give members a single location to view the reviews of the "best of the best", so to speak.

The evangelists would have to have thick skins, a good deal of experience in both simulators and add-on's and be willing to put in a review once or twice a month. They would have a special user group membership and would be the only ones to start topics in that forum.

If interested and willing to put in the time to do it right, review with total objectivity, then let me know via PM your interest. Keep in mind that we don't want negative reviews; we only want reviews that address "the best of the best". Anyone can write a negative review. We want to highlight to the community the best and why they should add it to their collection and by doing so, recognize the freeware contributors that attain that status.

Sounds very good! I'd like to join, but I don't have time to write 2 reviews per month or so, and I wanna place my reviews on another site/sites as well. But I'm looking fwd to this!

It's a very good idea, for sure!

Unfortunately, I only have FS 9 installed, and the majority of the Freeware releases I suspect would be for FSX, with an occasional exception (TDS 787). I also don't have any experience with airliners, so... :(

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Here is what my thoughts were... We would create a special forum where only selected freeware reviewers would be allowed to start topics. Those topics would be reviews of freeware placed in the AVSIM Library (just AVSIM's, no others. After all, we don't want to advertise other libraries, now do we?). These reviewers (otherwise known as "evangelists") would do a in-depth review of the freeware add-on, plane, scenery, util, etc. The point would be to give fellow community members a chance to see a review of these selected freeware and an opportunity to comment on the review and the freeware itself.

A lot of great freeware goes un-noticed or unseen by members and the reviews would give members a single location to view the reviews of the "best of the best", so to speak.

The evangelists would have to have thick skins, a good deal of experience in both simulators and add-on's and be willing to put in a review once or twice a month. They would have a special user group membership and would be the only ones to start topics in that forum.

If interested and willing to put in the time to do it right, review with total objectivity, then let me know via PM your interest. Keep in mind that we don't want negative reviews; we only want reviews that address "the best of the best". Anyone can write a negative review. We want to highlight to the community the best and why they should add it to their collection and by doing so, recognize the freeware contributors that attain that status.

I would be delighted to help. I'm always on the lookout for new freeware, since it doesn't break the bank.

EDIT: Sent you a PM.

It's a very good idea, for sure!

Unfortunately, I only have FS 9 installed, and the majority of the Freeware releases I suspect would be for FSX, with an occasional exception (TDS 787). I also don't have any experience with airliners, so... :(

Alan, actually there is quite a bit of FS9 freeware released daily. Check the library. If you are interested, send me a PM and we'll work it out.

AND TO EVERYONE ELSE! We would like reviews of FREEWARE for ALL platforms, Flight, P3D, X-Plane, etc. All platforms are welcome.

Hey AVSIM,

I saw a post in a thread that got me to the point I thought I would drop a line here as a suggestion...  "Freeware Appreciation Week".  The post actually suggested a Freeware Appreciation Day, but then I thought, heck, why not make it a whole week?

AVSIM could be "ground zero" the effort here, maybe even payware developers would help sponser in some way (I'm sure many of them started as freeware developers).  I forsee a week of AVSIM articles on freeware developer interviews, tips on freeware design, freeware reviews, freeware tips & tools,  Hardware "how-to's", etc.,  I could go on and on.   Sure it would take sever months to plan but maybe could be also used as a recruiting tool for new members and even promote to get new people into the hobby (something I fear is severely lacking).

Just wanted to throw it out there and see if it stuck on somethin'

Clutch

I think that is a fantastic idea that we could incorporate into our upcoming Freeware Reviews Forum. We could add interviews, how-tos etc. and then as they may warrant, publish them to front page articles. Do we have any volunteers to help in the areas that Clutch suggests?

I'd love to help, but I have no idea how to compose a full length review as I've never done one. I guess I'll just sit on the side lines.  :huh:

We learn by doing. Do.