Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Freeware Appreciation Week

If you need someone to "manage" the Freeware forum I could do that. I'll write reviews, try to arrange for interviews with various Freeware builders and anything you might need. PM me and let me know if you'd like for me to do that, I'd really be happy to help out with this forum!

Very nice idea.....

Our freeware developers don't get enough recognition for all their hard work and efforts..... :Applause: :Applause: :Applause: :Applause:

This is a fantastic idea, with two young children am time limited.

Covering all freeware though would increase the draw to avsim as there are some awesome freeware releases that are not uploaded here. It's your site though.

This is a fantastic idea, with two young children am time limited.

Covering all freeware though would increase the draw to avsim as there are some awesome freeware releases that are not uploaded here. It's your site though.

As I recall, a lot of files were lost when the site was hacked.  Tom will correct me if I'm wrong on that.  AVSIM did a great job to recover what they did, but sadly, a lot of files were never able to be replaced.  Either AVSIM didn't have access to them or the original owner didn't put them back into the library. I have hundreds of files that I downloaded from the library backed up on dvd's, just in case anything should ever happen again, so I won't lose my favorites.  I know some freeware developers don't put their stuff on AVSIM and that is truly a shame.

Here is what my thoughts were... We would create a special forum where only selected freeware reviewers would be allowed to start topics. Those topics would be reviews of freeware placed in the AVSIM Library (just AVSIM's, no others. After all, we don't want to advertise other libraries, now do we?).

Really nice idea, as it can be very hard to find the really good freeware in the huge amount there is.

And I get the point about restricting it to the AVSIM library - but won't we miss an awful lot of brilliant stuff that way? E.g. Manfred Jahn's C-47, just sayin...

Hm... actually all of Dinos stuff! Thanks to your post I discovered the three beautiful plane's he's already done! (F-35, F-14 and T-45).

Then there's stuff like SimLauncher, SceneryEditor, WaterConfigurator, ...

May I make a plug for the TDS offerings from the last few months... the 787-8, the 737-700 and the recently released -800. 

Yes, they don't have VC's; aside from that, they are very well designed airplane Models, there are many Repaints available,

and some very good Panels that can be merged. They fly quite well, also.

Alan  Hobbes_cartoon-emoticon-0011.gif

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I suggest not to limit the freeweare week subjects to content add-ons in the AVSIM library, because I am nos sure one finds actual applications there.

For Example, consideration should be given to Plan-G 3.0, a full blown freeware app which is what serves me better for VFR Flight plan and moving map solution in FSX. For me, Plan-G 3.0 is to VFR almost as FlightSim Commander is for IFR.

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

Don't forget to have a place where we can donate to our favorites, if they well accept........I still have a lot of John Loney's sceneries on my FSX, altho made for FS9........and, a long while back, there was a Mark Smith (/) who did a terrific Bremerton for FS9..........I would dearly love to have that for FSX if it is still around.............Great Idea!! B42L8

Hey AVSIM,

I saw a post in a thread that got me to the point I thought I would drop a line here as a suggestion...  "Freeware Appreciation Week".  The post actually suggested a Freeware Appreciation Day, but then I thought, heck, why not make it a whole week?

AVSIM could be "ground zero" the effort here, maybe even payware developers would help sponser in some way (I'm sure many of them started as freeware developers).  I forsee a week of AVSIM articles on freeware developer interviews, tips on freeware design, freeware reviews, freeware tips & tools,  Hardware "how-to's", etc.,  I could go on and on.   Sure it would take sever months to plan but maybe could be also used as a recruiting tool for new members and even promote to get new people into the hobby (something I fear is severely lacking).

Just wanted to throw it out there and see if it stuck on somethin'

Clutch

Clutch, thanks for this great idea!!  Over in the FS9 forum, we have a few "Best of" freeware topics pinned to the top of the forum, with more on the way.  It would be great if folks could stop by, if they haven't already, and let everyone know about their favorites for FS9.  I'm finding that there are some that I've missed over the years and I'm having a blast this weekend with some of the fantastic stuff that's been mentioned.

Cheers,

Jeff

And another one I only stumbled upon this week: Tim Conrad's PT 19

Very nice model, a fun little open trainer when you're in one of those moods...