Sign in to follow this  
thepilot

Crash to desktop due to d3d9.dll and util.dll

Hello all,

I've had my FS9 crash to desktop twice in the last three flights I did. The other one went by fine. The bad news is that each CTD occurred during different phases of flight, flying different aircraft in different parts of the world. My FS installation is still pretty fresh, and I'm trying to keep it "slim" for reasons such as this... however, I have no idea where to start looking for the cause(s). I don't know if the CTDs at hand are caused by the same problem. The program seems therefore very unstable to me, so might want to reinstall everything from scratch. Any suggestions?

Do an avsim search for " large aware address"

It fixed all of my ctd's

Good luck

What are you running in addition to FS9?..... addon scenery/Ai aircraft etc.

What have you changed recently on your computer......video drivers/system restore ?

Do you have it patched to FS9.1 ?

Try to repeat one of the crashes.... same user aircraft/same day/same time.

Then you can start troubleshooting.

Peter

Peter Schluter

Running AISmooth, ActiveSky, TOPCAT and charts in the background.

No crucial changes to my system recently.

I just tried to reproduce the crash I just had (util.dll) and feel the scenery I installed might be causing it. I also got an OOM along with the CTD this time! :blink: So I'll go ahead and deinstall it and hope that will fix it.

util.dll is usually a gauge problem, I believe, so the obvious question is whether this problem happens flying a specific aircraft.

d3d9.dll is not an FS file, it relates to DirectX. Not sure if this may help:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/problems-with-directx-and-d3d9dll/c4b7875f-4b59-4025-9b6d-a1746281354e

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

I would not do a reinstall. I would try and identify the problem.

Do you have the 9.1 patch ?  Also what are your computer specs?

If you can do a repeatable flight that always gives you a crash with any user aircraft you can then narrow down the problem.  Start by disabling all addon scenery and AI traffic. Test to see if you still get the crash.

Peter

Peter Schluter

d3d9.dll is not an FS file, it relates to DirectX

Unless you've installed ENB/SweetFX/SMAA/any other postprocessing injector. You'll remember that, or at least find a d3d9.dll in your FS9 folder.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Not using any of those. Thanks for the hint with util.dll being related to gauges, I simply reinstalled the addon in question and haven't been able to reproduce it ever since.

However, now my FS crashed again due to d3d9.dll :mellow: The odd thing is that I simply started FS, loaded the aircraft and some scenery and just let it run without doing anything at all (went away from my desk). I haven't made any changes to DirectX (or anything related to that) either and so far my FS has been running great.

My system is AMD Athlon II X2 250, Nvidia GTS 450, 4GB 1333MHz DDR-3 RAM and I am running FS 9.1 on WindowsXP 32bit Service Pack 3.

Maybe it would be good idea to recreate the FS9.cfg firstly?

As DirectX is not a Flight Simulator component, that isn't the direction I would go.

I would start by running dxdiag to check your version of DirectX is up to date and running correctly.

John

PS - a quick boogle found this:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/fsx-crashing-with-d39dll-or-g3ddll-error_topic35152.html

and put it down to a video driver problem.

Well, I reinstalled DirectX 9.0c just to be safe and I ran dxdiag in addition to that. Result = no problems found.

Still FS crashes after a couple of minutes due to the d3d9.dll. I also reinstalled the video driver from Nvidia (that has worked fine since I installed it for the first time).

Really clueless right now...

Now I also had a crash due to g2d.dll. At this point I'm not even sure if it makes sense to reinstall just the simulator. :(

Now I also had a crash due to g2d.dll. At this point I'm not even sure if it makes sense to reinstall just the simulator. :(

Although I generally say this shouldn't be necessary, it may be worth trying this to see whether or not the fault lies with FS itself.

Peter's suggestion of disabling all add-on scenery and AI traffic is a good step but it doesn't necessarily give you a 100% clean setup as many addons place files into the default structure.

You could move your existing setup away (just renaming the default directory will do), take a copy of the FS9.cfg file, and then do a clean install and see how things work. You can easily put it all back later.

John

This the next thing I am going to try, but I haven't installed any AI aircraft ever since I installed FS9 itself. And I've had all sceneries that are active now in use before without any issues.

I will also try flying different addon aircraft.

It's odd that I can fly for about 30 minutes and then the sim suddenly crashes.

This the next thing I am going to try, but I haven't installed any AI aircraft ever since I installed FS9 itself. And I've had all sceneries that are active now in use before without any issues.

I will also try flying different addon aircraft.

It's odd that I can fly for about 30 minutes and then the sim suddenly crashes.

You cannot rule out changes going on you haven't noticed - new hardware or driver updates can give problems and anti-virus software can surreptitiously remove a file it doesn't like the look of. Faulty discs can damage files. Testing with a clean install and testing it without add-ons will help you point the finger in the right direction.

John

Do an avsim search for " large aware address"

It fixed all of my ctd's

Good luck

Marius

Not sure if you got this figured out yet? When I responded to this post I was sitting in an airport getting ready to leave on holidays and wasn't able to give the complete response that I wanted to.......... follow this link http://forum.avsim.net/topic/252387-out-of-memery-with-vista/ and read through the thread, a ways down the thread you will find a link  to "4_GB patch" download it and run it......I was getting CTD's on every second flight, sometimes within 5 min and other times after an hour(or 2) long flight on short final of an ILS approach in minimum IMC at 500'agl........and CTD (extremely frustrating!!!)

After installing this little utility I have had nothing fun all the way to the end of each and every flight, and I think you will find that it will solve your problems.

Hope it helps you.

Cheers

Rom