Sign in to follow this  
gfd

Remote Software

Greetings

First a note to moderator. Re: no hardware in this forum, I must reference hardware to clarify my question. Thanks for your kindness and patience.

I have used FSX now for some time. The first stage was learning how to use the software and the rudiments of flying. I acquired flight controls and TrackIR.

This is my chosen hobby into retirement (not too many years away). I want to take the hobby a bit further. I will be purchasing a new computer to better keep up with FSX (I have a very powerful notebook, but with AI, etc,FSX eats it), a hardware MCP/EFIS/Radio unit, a tablet computer and a touch screen monitor to attach to the notebook. The notebook and tablet will be on a network with the main FSX machine.

Thank you for your indulgence.

I value realism, so I would like to create the following setup:

-I have FSUIPC, LINDA; and could add WideFS if for no other reason than the ability to create software buttons for control purposes.

-I have FS-Force for force feedback joystick

-mesh (probably FSGlobal)

-textures (probably FTX Global)

-landclass (probably Ultimate Terrain X)

-I have REX for water and sky textures

-weather engine (probably OpusFSX)

-airport ground services (probably Ground Services X)

-I have MyTraffic X 5.4B

-I have MyTrafficBoard

-possibly a flight planning add on or electronic flight bag (FlightSimSoft, FsBuild, AivlaSoft)

-ATC (probably Pro-ATC/X)

-I have EZDok for cameras

-I have Accu Feel for effects

-captain to first officer interaction. Haven't decided on whether to use this type of addon. Pro-ATC/X will have voice interaction, but Multi Crew Experience may be better.

-the tablet will host Virtual CDU for 737NGX, and the Airbus X Extended web interface.

Thank you for reading to this point. I want to offload as much of the non-direct FSX processing to my notebook and tablet as possible.

I would like to know which of the above applications can be moved off the main FSX machine and run via network. I realize the tablet is limited. It is a purpose driven thing. My main interest is the notebook with the connected touch screen monitor. I have listed my impressions as to what I think could be my best choices of software, not to start a debate on the merits of competing packages. Rather, I have done so, in case different packages, doing the same job, would have different network requirements and/or possiblities. Were I to list all of the alternatives, I would expect many of you to try and locate me so that you could punish me as severely as possible  :lol:  As important, I have been detailed, to show the structure, in case I am making a fundamental error in my approach, which will cost me a lot of wasted dollars.

Are there networking software packages other than WideFS, which would allow more applications to be moved of the main machine, or operate more effectively once moved? The network will be main FSX(ethernet), notebook(ethernet), tablet(wifi).

I have another question. At my age, even using a 32 inch LED TV as a monitor; If I get near enough to the monitor so that certain gauges are large enough to decipher, they are out of focus. When I get back far enough to focus, they are too small to see :blush: Is it possible in general, to move critical gauges (and even better...controls) from the main FSX machine to the touch screen monitor which will be attached to the notebook? Will it depend on whether the view is 2D or virtual? Will there be a hole where the gauge/control was? Could I still run FSX in full screen mode? Does that matter?

Finally, AVSIM is populated by individuals whose knowledge of flight simulation is both deep and broad. I would like to thank any and all, who read this. I will thank you further for your help and guidance. I hope never to never again write so long a post. More important, I hope never to burden you with one so long.

Thanks again!!

Note to moderator: If you determine that I have posted in the wrong forum, please accept my apologies. Delete the post if you must, or if you decide it should be moved, please PM me so I know where to find it. Thank you.

I have both REX and SuperTrafficBoard, as well as Plan-G and Latitude running on a second machine through SimConnect.

I don't have WideFS and haven't made the jump into an EFB or some of the other stuff you mentioned, so others will have to reply

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Last I was aware. opus weather engine wasnt able to run over a network. either Simconnect or WideFS. Now that may have changed. That is why I use Active sky for the weather engine. Nice to have a weather engine you can view at all times without minimizing or running in windowed mode.

I run Aivlasoft EFB, SB4 and FS Global Real Weather, Navigraph Charts, TopCat, my VA's ACARS all on a laptop networked via Simconnect / FSUIPC4/WideFS (PTT button for SB on my Saitek yoke is mapped via WideFS) to my FSX rig. Best "tweak" I have ever done, it makes a world of difference when the main rig is left alone with FSX only.

23.png

I run Aivlasoft EFB, SB4 and FS Global Real Weather, Navigraph Charts, TopCat, my VA's ACARS all on a laptop networked via Simconnect / FSUIPC4/WideFS (PTT button for SB on my Saitek yoke is mapped via WideFS) to my FSX rig. Best "tweak" I have ever done, it makes a world of difference when the main rig is left alone with FSX only.

One day I sat down determined to do just this but couldn't get it to work. Did you follow any tutorials? The ones I did didn't help I guess. Maybe it was cause one PC was windows 7 and one was Vista? Maybe cause they're both just on wireless? I don't know but it something I'd like to do eventually.

Lee

Last I was aware. opus weather engine wasnt able to run over a network. either Simconnect or WideFS. Now that may have changed. That is why I use Active sky for the weather engine. Nice to have a weather engine you can view at all times without minimizing or running in windowed mode.

That is correct you cannot. But you can view your weather report via network, upper winds FP etc, just like AS2012

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Rudder pedals are a must have, if you don't have them. I also added a saitek throttle quadrant recently and it's made a world of difference to my setup. Plus a yoke for flying Boeings, keep the joystick for Airbus and fighter stuff.

Software wise you've got a good list. I prefer Activesky for the nicer interface and the in-game ATIS, but you'll never get a consensus on that one over Opus. Pro ATC X isn't there yet, save your money. It lacks voices and the ATC vectors are completely weird. You get vectored off to all manner of weird and wonderful waypoints, none of which are in your flightplan. Radar Contact is old and clunky but works better or PFE if you have a lot of patience and want a 'fuller' experience.

Also take Aivlasoft EFB over the others. It's pricey (not helped by being priced in Swiss Francs!!) but is incredibly feature rich, has a very nice user interface, good support and is really all the planner/ moving map/chart program you'll ever need.

Just my 0.2p.

One day I sat down determined to do just this but couldn't get it to work. Did you follow any tutorials? The ones I did didn't help I guess. Maybe it was cause one PC was windows 7 and one was Vista? Maybe cause they're both just on wireless? I don't know but it something I'd like to do eventually.

Lee

Yes, it can be a bit of a drag to get Simconnect to work. It's been a while but I remember cracking the code when I found a Simconnect guide made by the guys making Active Sky, do a few searches here and you'll most certainly find it. The same with FSUIPC / WideFS, but that is easier to get to work, as it is not linked to the versions of FSX / FSX SDK as Simconnect is.

What I would strongly suggest though, run your network wired through a router and both PC's should have a static IP. Don't be tempted to go wireless. If you get connection issues, they will be much more difficult to isolate when you add possibility of wireless drops into the equation.

23.png

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I am so far ahead in my understanding.

LeeL, regarding simconnect and widefs, could you give a step by step as to how you got them to talk over the network? It looks as though you have been able to move just about everything off the main machine.

bennyboy75...I have the Logitech G940. Kinda buggy, but hard to find a stand alone force feedback joystick; and a yoke, well I don't have 2,000 dollars lying around to buy one. I understand your advice regarding Pro-ATC/X. I will either consider an alternative, or wait til it gets there.

Is wideview and option to move the peripheral software off the main machine? Iread where you have to have a copy of FSX on all machines, but maybe that's a small price to pay to get to the objective.

Yes, it can be a bit of a drag to get Simconnect to work. It's been a while but I remember cracking the code when I found a Simconnect guide made by the guys making Active Sky, do a few searches here and you'll most certainly find it. The same with FSUIPC / WideFS, but that is easier to get to work, as it is not linked to the versions of FSX / FSX SDK as Simconnect is.

What I would strongly suggest though, run your network wired through a router and both PC's should have a static IP. Don't be tempted to go wireless. If you get connection issues, they will be much more difficult to isolate when you add possibility of wireless drops into the equation.

Unfortunately I can't as I'm in an older house and the modem is three storeys down. Which is unfortunate.

gfd, you'll want to ask Mosteen about that not me I'm afraid

bennyboy75...I have the Logitech G940. Kinda buggy, but hard to find a stand alone force feedback joystick; and a yoke, well I don't have 2,000 dollars lying around to buy one. I understand your advice regarding Pro-ATC/X. I will either consider an alternative, or wait til it gets there.

Nothing wrong with the Logitech but you could pick up a Saitek or CH yoke for less than a couple of hundred bucks. Much more realistic for flying stuff that puts a yoke between your legs and no need for it to have force feedback. The only time a Boeing yoke will push against you is if you try to stall it. Other than that personally I find force feedback joysticks are unhelpful in their control surface loading but that's simply based on my own experience of Level D 737 and A320 sims and they way they handle. As always, YMMV.

I do feel bad pouring cold water on Pro ATC X as it could be fantastic. The user interface is nice and simple, it handles SIDS and stars dynamically on the fly and if there were more voices and less oddities in there it could be superb. As it is, it's one for the future.

bennyboy75...don't feel bad at all. I have learned a reasonable bit about FSUIPC and the other software I use, but I haven't used customized ATC. I am interested in Pro-ATC because i believe the developer(s) are progresseive and will take the time to further develop the product. You sort of aluded to that yourself.

Perhaps someone can speak to network alternatives, even at a price. Is there an addon that will make it easier or more logical to move non-core FSX items off the main machine? I don't mean to repeat myself, but I'm not sure I asked the question properly in the first place.

Don't mean to bump my own post, but I was wondering if anybody might have the time to consider my second question:

I have another question. At my age, even using a 32 inch LED TV as a monitor; If I get near enough to the monitor so that certain gauges are large enough to decipher, they are out of focus. When I get back far enough to focus, they are too small to see :blush: Is it possible in general, to move critical gauges (and even better...controls) from the main FSX machine to the touch screen monitor which will be attached to the notebook? Will it depend on whether the view is 2D or virtual? Will there be a hole where the gauge/control was? Could I still run FSX in full screen mode? Does that matter?

Thanks again, in advance.

One other little 'tit-bit' you may find helpful...  I run a small network for my FSX (fully wired as that's important).

I have a small utility called Synergy installed.  Microsoft also supply a simmilar app.  Both are free.  They allow you complete control of all PCs and laptops via just the ONE keyboard and mouse.  I couldn't survive without it now;-)

Good luck with your endevours

thanks dougal. i'll definetely look into that.