Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Do military jets have FMC?

I spend most of my time flying commercial jets like the Airbuses and Boeings. But was curious to know if there are any FMC available on military jets like F16, F15E, FA-18?

Can I enter in and make flight plans like I do on lets say a 737? And does it support LOC and GS capturing for ILS approaches?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I spend most of my time flying commercial jets like the Airbuses and Boeings. But was curious to know if there are any FMC available on military jets like F16, F15E, FA-18?

Can I enter in and make flight plans like I do on lets say a 737? And does it support LOC and GS capturing for ILS approaches?

Now I'm kinda rusty on the VRS F/A-18 but you don't really get a FMC like you do in an airliner, you can use ILS and TACAN approaches but the flight plan itself I believe is created by a mission planner who gives the cartridge or whatever to the pilot to upload it into the plane. 

Nope, you're not likely to get LOC and GS capture, ie, autoland in a fighter. That said, some can tune in to these frequencies, such as the VRS F18. This helps with landing the plane normally (note the word normally - not automatically. In the real world, autolands are not used that often).

Fighters use what is knows as TACAN navigation - in FSX, these are VORs. Check out the Wiki on the VRS site - its explains pretty much everything on this topic, including one of the best tutorial flights i have ever followed.

http://forums.vrsimulations.com/support/index.php/TacPack_Documentation

One thing I know about the F/A-18 is that auto throttles are recommended for carrier landings and IIRC they are coupled with the ILS or something (really rusty in the plane) to help you maintain your AOA. 

A more direct link that aburley pointed you to is here:

http://forums.vrsimulations.com/support/index.php/Navigation_Systems

If you are interested in how other military aircraft (outside of MSFS) navigate, you can check out the flight manual for the A-10 here:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/

If you'd like to see an actual flight manual for an A-10A, you can download it here (the internal navigation computer stuff starts on page 1-91 or 115 if you go by the acrobat counter):
http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=42

Now I'm kinda rusty on the VRS F/A-18 but you don't really get a FMC like you do in an airliner, you can use ILS and TACAN approaches but the flight plan itself I believe is created by a mission planner who gives the cartridge or whatever to the pilot to upload it into the plane. 

The  cartridge your  talking  about  that they fit  in the fa-18s  is used  for  debrief  purposes, after  the mission they play back  the whole  flight so they can work out  what they did wrong  etc.,   they  use  the ufc (up front  control unit)  to  imput  their  flight  plan in manually during  pre flight

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg