Sign in to follow this  
jetsflier

Split-Scimitar Winglet Modeling on the NGX?

What airline?

I know Sunwing has pretty much all scimitar now, saw a bunch in SXM.

When I asked this question last year, Ryan explained that a visual model would be the easiest way to do it, while creating new flight dynamics would take longer.  I would be happy with just switching between the old and new winglets, even if it doesn't reflect the improved economics.  Looking forward to SP2, regardless..

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

It's only a 2% saver so modeling would be nice for me.  

Reg,

John

Like it's been said, it's not only 2% fuel savings. There's a lot of flight dynamics modifications too. Maybe it's not something that you'd definitely feel, but i really doubt PMDG would let it slide.

Cristi Neagu

There's a lot of flight dynamics modifications too. Maybe it's not something that you'd definitely feel, but i really doubt PMDG would let it slide.

They slid the 747-400 flight dynamics over to the 747-8 pretty easily!

Adding the new style winglets as a visual model upgrade only is a no-brainer to me...but there's probably no money in it unless they wrap it up with a BBJ/ -ER expansion pack to make it worth purchasing.

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

4i2bkn.jpg

Haha, that is hilarious!

But maybe PMDG is going "100% realistic" from here out though :)

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

The reason why the -8 was a visual model only has been explained countless time...

People wanted it very badly, but no flight model information was available, and would be available for quite some time. PMDG decided to model the visual,extension only, and call it quits until 747v2.

Quite a logical decision, if you ask me.

The reason why the -8 was a visual model only has been explained countless time...

People wanted it very badly, but no flight model information was available, and would be available for quite some time. PMDG decided to model the visual,extension only, and call it quits until 747v2.

Quite a logical decision, if you ask me.

Indeed. My only point here is that the Earth did not stop turning and/or burst into flame when PMDG released a 'visual model only' for the 747 and likely would not do so if they repeated that with the 737 :)

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

i still think they just have to model the wings for the -800 and not  the whole plane. doing the whole plane is a waste of time... They should do they wings and then while they are at it fix the acars so it is capable to work with ASN, Opus, and custom Acars tracking systems that VA make you download perhaps an addon exe file like the livery manager but its to connect the custom Acars system for the VAs to the NGX.

i still think they just have to model the wings for the -800 and not the whole plane. doing the whole plane is a waste of time... They should do they wings and then while they are at it fix the acars so it is capable to work with ASN, Opus, and custom Acars tracking systems that VA make you download perhaps an addon exe file like the livery manager but its to connect the custom Acars system for the VAs to the NGX.

There's only a few hundred different ACARS add-ons out there, and they'll probably all work somewhat differently. Getting this to work would be a huge pain in the butt.

What exactly would you like from an ACARS system? There's nobody on the other side to answer your requests, that's the biggest problem. PMDG could make a networked ACARS feature, but if there's nobody there to answer, you're not going to get much of a response.

The only place where it might be useful and doable, is METAR information, but even then, it might be too much of a hassle for a very small benefit. Getting ATIS info in FSX is pretty much a no go, there's far too many parameters for it, and no central source to pull the data from.

On topic of the Split Scimitar winglets: those are being installed not pretty much standard NG wings. There's some extra strengthening inside going on, but nothing that would influence the external model. The biggest issue is probably the performance data. Since the APB winglets are still rather new, I'm willing to bet performance data is still very hard to come by, legally.

In essence, there is no "new plane" at all, just the winglets. If you intend for them to make the MAX by referring to "new plane", keep dreaming... The design isn't finalised, nobody even knows what the final cockpit will look like. Boeing has a pretty good idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if we'd still see some minor changes between now and the first flight. The performance data just doesn't exist, the flight model is probably still being simulated and adjusted on a computer somewhere.

There's no way PMDG could start making a realistic 737 MAX right now, without having to start from scratch within three years time, when the actual MAX rolls out of the paint hanger for the first time.

There's only a few hundred different ACARS add-ons out there, and they'll probably all work somewhat differently. Getting this to work would be a huge pain in the butt.

What exactly would you like from an ACARS system? There's nobody on the other side to answer your requests, that's the biggest problem. PMDG could make a networked ACARS feature, but if there's nobody there to answer, you're not going to get much of a response.

The only place where it might be useful and doable, is METAR information, but even then, it might be too much of a hassle for a very small benefit. Getting ATIS info in FSX is pretty much a no go, there's far too many parameters for it, and no central source to pull the data from.

On topic of the Split Scimitar winglets: those are being installed not pretty much standard NG wings. There's some extra strengthening inside going on, but nothing that would influence the external model. The biggest issue is probably the performance data. Since the APB winglets are still rather new, I'm willing to bet performance data is still very hard to come by, legally.

In essence, there is no "new plane" at all, just the winglets. If you intend for them to make the MAX by referring to "new plane", keep dreaming... The design isn't finalised, nobody even knows what the final cockpit will look like. Boeing has a pretty good idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if we'd still see some minor changes between now and the first flight. The performance data just doesn't exist, the flight model is probably still being simulated and adjusted on a computer somewhere.

There's no way PMDG could start making a realistic 737 MAX right now, without having to start from scratch within three years time, when the actual MAX rolls out of the paint hanger for the first time.

I think your right but they should have a fmc option for scimitar winglets on the -800 

I believe PMDG should just add the external part as the performance and fuel use vary only minimally. They provided the 747-8i/f using only the external model, pending V2 when performance data would be readily available. I feel like this is a similar situation, where performance data isn't available easily so just the external modelling would be warranted.