Sign in to follow this  
Arismac

Good news from LM

In answer to a question in the Prepar3D Forum about P3D Ver 2.0 being backwards compatible

QUOTE:

Aircraft and scenery build for 1.x should work fine with 2.0. We will have a new model format version with some added capabilities though, so models built for 2.x won't work with 1.x unless they are exported seperately in the 1.x format.

There might be some visual issues with old FS8/9 models that worked in 1.x. (Some models are marketed as FSX/P3D models but still use the the legacy bgl opcodes for rendering.)

We've got most of the old bgl stuff working in the new d3d11 rendering system but we can't regression test it against every add-on out there so we likely won't officially support bgl models even though most of them should work.

Thanks, Beau

Prepar3D Software Engineer

Cool. At least they are making a valiant effort  for some compatibility but balancing it with advancement and progress of what FSX was. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Is 2.0 still scheduled to come out this year? 

in 2013 whatever that means and assuming big problems dont show up. I would be surprised if there was anything before the fall. More than likely it heads into 2014

CYVR LSZH 

in 2013 whatever that means and assuming big problems dont show up. I would be surprised if there was anything before the fall. More than likely it heads into 2014

Who said 2013 ? Do have a link ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Who said 2013 ? Do have a link ?

Yea couldnt remember where I saw it. The link above is the interview. Here is the quote...

• Performance - As we mentioned earlier, feedback from developers and users in the community indicate that performance is a high priority. We're excited about the future of Prepar3D's new rendering capability and are eager to be able to release it to the community in 2013.

I would take that with a grain of salt. They retract any release date comments in the prepar3d forum. Understandably so. 

CYVR LSZH 

What this is saying to me is that one can still use v 1.4 even after they release 2.0.  You are not forced to upgrade.  Why you wouldn't would be a different story, of course.

Hope they take their time and work out most of the kinks before releasing, even if that means moving the release to 2014.  A lot is riding on this release.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Hi folks,

I read a thread over at Avsim where a P3D software director was interviewed.  Nice interview, but two times in the interview he made reference to this November, almost like a

"slip of the tongue".  I have tried to find the article to no avail.....hope he's right.

Any word on the long-term viability for the non-commercial community?

spacer.png

Any word on the long-term viability for the non-commercial community?

I wouldnt go there again. This will turn into another heated EULA argument thread

ORBX appears to have a very strong backing for it. Take that as you will and keep it to yourself and hope for the best. 

CYVR LSZH 

Good news, though it still doesn't guarantee that all newer FSX add-ons will continue to work. Add-ons that do a lot of stuff outside the box (A2A, Majestic Software etc.) might not work since they probably hook into specific memory locations etc. OrbX stuff will probably have to be updated too for the various "Flow" features to continue working.

There will probably be a transitional period when we need to have both 1.4 and 2.0 installed to enjoy all our add-ons.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Lockheed Martin said "Aircraft and scenery build for 1.x should work fine with 2.0" - not that it will. There's a difference.

Fantastic News

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick