Sign in to follow this  
davidzill

Future developments for the MD-11

I was curious if there was going to be future developments for the MD-11, perhaps a MD-11 2.0 with a more HD cockpit comparable to that of the NGX. Thanks for your input!

I was about to post the exact same thread.

Yeah, unfortunately this has already been discussed.

Kyle Rodgers

Several of us would love to see even a minor update to the MD-11 David, but unfortunately it's not going to happen

Chris Sunseri

One problem is, it's not Boeing.

Best regards,

Robin.

So how come they did the JS41, and are still developing the DC-6 and the Dash 8?

So how come they did the JS41, and are still developing the DC-6 and the Dash 8?

...because it seems those around here don't understand the world is not black and white.

Because PMDG has a relationship with Boeing, it means that they cannot develop anything else, clearly.

Kyle Rodgers

...because it seems those around here don't understand the world is not black and white.

Because PMDG has a relationship with Boeing, it means that they cannot develop anything else, clearly.

Actually, from what I understand, there are legal issues around the MD-11 (something to do with Lefteris being the main developer and subsequently leaving to form FSLabs).

Actually, from what I understand, there are legal issues around the MD-11 (something to do with Lefteris being the main developer and subsequently leaving to form FSLabs).

I was simply addressing the quoted post asking why the aircraft not being from Boeing was a problem, not why the MD-11 would not continue to be developed.

Kyle Rodgers

Well if Lefteris' departure from PMDG is the reason, that really is a disaster.

Best regards,

Robin.

The real reason, as members of PMDG have stated, is that it didn't sell well enough. Even though Rob has said that they sold more MD11's than McDonnell Douglas ever did  :lol: (so more than 200 then). 

Steve Caffey

Yes, It seems that MD11 was one of the worst-selling products from the PMDG line of products.

A pity, it seems. It's such a great plane to fly. (If only there were more operators of the type.)

I have had great fun operating KLM routes in this aircraft over the years on Vatsim. PMDG MD11, NL2000's Netherlands, Aerosoft EHAM, various Caribbean and American destinations (America the Continent, North and South) and the odd visit to the Middle East and Africa have been great fun in the sim. 

Before I purchased the MD11, I hadn't ever flown any KLM flights, after the first year of flying, KLM was the second most used airline out of my callsigns on Vatsim. This was mainly due to a weekly longhaul whereby over about 8 months, I flew every route the MD11 operated for KLM on vatsim. 2 Cross the Pond flyins, and to this day, 20/07/2013, the MD11 is still my favourite long haul widebody aircraft in FSX.

I already know the PMDG 777 will surpass the MD11, but at this point, there are NO widebody long range aircraft in FSX that have systems as accurately detailed and simulated as the PMDG MD11.

I love flying the MD-11, it so 'different'. Its like seeing a line of generic Cessnas and Pipers at your local airport, then spotting something like a rare Bellanca Super Viking or SF-260 in the mix, very refreshing to see something different now and then. Variety is the spice of life.

I know it seems very probable that PMDG will do a 777-200ER expansion pack, which is fine, I have no problem with that, its what folks want. However I hope that the DC-6 and 747v2 will be tended to before visiting the 777 expansions, or at least after the first one. That way we get a wider variety of airplane types sooner, The expansions will still come and everybody can be happy.

I do really hope the DC-6 sells well. While vintage aircraft don't seem as popular here at Avsim, they are quite popular at other sim sites such as SOH and A2A. I know folks there are really looking forward to the 6.

Cheers

TJ