Sign in to follow this  
bic

people on board

I have stopped flying as often, but recently I flew Virgin Atlantic from Newark to Heathrow.  They announced how many people and staff were on board.  Is this something new?  Why is it done?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

As a crew member.... I can see some reason behind it.

The pax count: if they included the number of passengers, and the number of total seats (I don't know if they did), you can get an idea if it's worthwhile asking for an other seat. (Ie. when travelling as a family and you are separated,...)

The crew count: I guess they inform you about how many different faces you can whine to.

All kidding aside, I think this makes it all a bit more personal, and it often depends on the guys up front. We have captains who introduce the entire crew by their first name (on 737, not on a plane with 20 crew members). I have to say I like it.

I have stopped flying as often, but recently I flew Virgin Atlantic from Newark to Heathrow.  They announced how many people and staff were on board.  Is this something new?  Why is it done?

It's a good delay tactic to distract passengers for a while if you think you'e going to be delayed by a couple minutes, you'll find us adding in fuel figures, facts about the aircraft, as Thomas mentions, we'll introduce the crew, and if really needing to distract the passengers I've even gone as far to talk about how long some of the crew have been working for us...  :mellow:  All just part of the service to keep you occupied and happy while we're sitting on the ramp.

The general impression I get from passengers is that they prefer getting too much information from the pilots than too little, keeps them in the loop.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

The general impression I get from passengers is that they prefer getting too much information from the pilots than too little, keeps them in the loop.

That also helps some of the fearful fliers out there.

Last year I flew from San Francisco to London Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic. The FA on the PA told us all about the aircraft, what type of engines it has, the amount of thrust in each engine and the total number of PAX onboard the aircraft. Virgin Atlantic are a great way to fly, and I would definitely fly with them again! 

Air France won me over with their food, way better than US carriers.

Air France won me over with their food, way better than US carriers.

I have noticed that myself, although I got fed well on American from LHR to JFK back in 08.

For the first time in a long time when I flew Virgin I came off the aircraft feeling full (it takes a lot to fill me ^_^ ), they serve you and keep on serving you its really great service, and I wasn't in First or Business.

I have to try and stop leaving the airplane feeling full, our food tastes great (we get business class food on long haul, though sometimes we go for the economy option to add a little variety, it tastes good too), but that can be a problem when you're doing an 8 hour oceanic crossing and the only thing you have to occupy you is eating food... :(

I could easily munch my way through a punnet of grapes, 3-4 scones, 5 cups of tea, a bottle of water, a fruit salad, half a pack of biscuits, a dinner, a breakfast, a desert and then some more over the course of a crossing.... It's not even funny how much I could eat on one flight... Luckily I don't tend to gain any weight, but that much food can't be any good for one person... :mellow:

Regards,
Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

On Sunday flew ATL-MAN and the Delta crew only announced number of flight deck crew, and number of FAs all ATL-based. No mention of number of pax, but did at passengers request near where they were seated in the aisles. approve moving seats to get a nap/stretch out as the flight was less than half full. On the outbound flight, all they said was flight was full with regards to stowage in lockers and under-seat..

The Capt on the LAS-ATL sector was very informative, that we'd hit bad weather until Dallas, cruise levels, because less fuel was taken on board could not drop below 33k, etc, etc.

Luckily I don't tend to gain any weight,

I'm the same way, able to gorge to my heart's content and not gain single pound.

I have to try and stop leaving the airplane feeling full, our food tastes great (we get business class food on long haul, though sometimes we go for the economy option to add a little variety, it tastes good too), but that can be a problem when you're doing an 8 hour oceanic crossing and the only thing you have to occupy you is eating food... :(

I could easily munch my way through a punnet of grapes, 3-4 scones, 5 cups of tea, a bottle of water, a fruit salad, half a pack of biscuits, a dinner, a breakfast, a desert and then some more over the course of a crossing.... It's not even funny how much I could eat on one flight... Luckily I don't tend to gain any weight, but that much food can't be any good for one person... :mellow:

Regards,

Ró.

Just steer clear of sodas like coke and fanta etc. they are loaded with sugar, toxic carbs. Also I have seen a man die who drank coke all the time. I suppose it isn't healthy if you neglect fruit and vegetables......

On Sunday flew ATL-MAN and the Delta crew only announced number of flight deck crew, and number of FAs all ATL-based. No mention of number of pax, but did at passengers request near where they were seated in the aisles. approve moving seats to get a nap/stretch out as the flight was less than half full. On the outbound flight, all they said was flight was full with regards to stowage in lockers and under-seat..

The Capt on the LAS-ATL sector was very informative, that we'd hit bad weather until Dallas, cruise levels, because less fuel was taken on board could not drop below 33k, etc, etc.

I asked on the new Thai A380 Narita service how full the aircraft was. You learn a lot from asking. Unfortunately you can no longer ride the FD with pilots and ask the flying questions which crew usually have no idea of.

Daniel

Unfortunately you can no longer ride the FD with pilots and ask the flying questions

I was lucky when we landed KATL-KLAS in a Delta 757-300, that the Capt quite willingly answered my questions as regards the SID, the STAR, vApp. I discovered the same on the SWA flights too.The FAs did not shoo me towards the exit when I asked if I could speak to the FD. Don't think that would happen here.I found US aircrew much more accommodating.

Same willingness to answer questions on the EGCC-KATL A330-200.

I'm the same way, able to gorge to my heart's content and not gain single pound.

I used to be that way, too.  Don't expect it to last a lifetime, though.

We flew Swissair to Italy last year.  It was the first time I've enjoyed airplane food in 20 years.  But, I would recommend NOT putting the chocolate bars in your pocket for later.  I had to explain the brown stains on the customs form....

This was my second time on VA Premium Economy.   My wife didn't care for the food, I thought it was ok.  Nothing spectacular.  I ended up putting my coat on, which is what I've done on every flight I've ever taken.  Apparently the very young looking FA noticed and asked if I wanted another blanket and she'd check to see if they could change the temperature.  This never happened before.  We did not get the usual socks, pen, lip balm.

Previous VA flights we were in economy and the food was ok.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060