Hi guys,

I currently have an E8600 3.10ghz with 3gb ram and 550ti. I've had it for about 5yrs now and am looking to either build a new computer or have one built for fs9. I know many are saying why fs9 and not fsx? Well, with all my addons it looks and runs great! However, when I add complex aircraft and use nvidia inspecter with high settings, I get loss of perfomance. Ultimately, I would like to run fs9 at 60fps no problems. I've been out of the loop with computer specs for some time, so I really don't know what kind of computer I should be looking for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Budget is around $800.00- $1000.00. Thanks in advaced.

You'll want as fast a CPU as you can get but no need to look into hyperthreading unless you also do lots of photo and video work.

A basic Z87 motherboard and a i5 4670K Haswell CPU, GTX 760 with aftermarket cooler, 8 or 16GB of RAM (speed not so important, but get the fastest your budget allows) and

finally a SSD big enough to fit Windows and FS9, or perhaps one smaller for WIndows and a larger for FS9.

Having FS9 on a SSD is in no way necessary, but the loading times are great and should reduce hickups while flying as well.

Having Windows on an SSD however is a must these days.

Ultimately, I would like to run fs9

Well there is your biggest problem right there.

I forgot to mention a PSU. Well, I went to newegg and quickly put together something below $1000 that should work nicely.

Here's a suggestion:

GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-2GD GeForce GTX 760 2GB - $259.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W - $89.99

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) - $76.99

ASRock Z87 Extreme3 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 - $137.99

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz - $239.99

SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SSD - $174.99

Total: $979.94

Perhaps you can use your old case and some other components from your old computer.

This system btw will run FSX and P3D pretty nicely as well.

If you're into overclocking (which you should be with a setup like this) then you'll need an aftermarket CPU cooler as well.

I run currently FS9

My PC is Windows 7 , 4 Gb of RAM ,  i5 650 CPU at 3.20 Ghz

My current experience of FS9 is not great,

I'd like to improve it

The scenary looks always very blocky , and basic , 

I have several options I guess,  but I just want the game to look someway realistic without spending a lot of money on addons -  I understand from reading that the REX add ons are a great investment but with my PC Spec will they make a great deal of difference?

I look at FS9 and I see the system spec ,  and my PC seems to fit the bill,  however, still it looks very basic

My Hard disk - is 320GB ,  with windows running on it

From what I read above

I need to have FS9 running on its own disk?

Are there any tweaks I can make in the Config file to make the game look better straight away without spending any money?

I've just installed it and have not added any other addons as yet , so it's a clean install

Any help greatly received

I forgot to mention a PSU. Well, I went to newegg and quickly put together something below $1000 that should work nicely.

Here's a suggestion:

GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-2GD GeForce GTX 760 2GB - $259.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W - $89.99

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) - $76.99

ASRock Z87 Extreme3 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 - $137.99

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz - $239.99

SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SSD - $174.99

Total: $979.94

Perhaps you can use your old case and some other components from your old computer.

This system btw will run FSX and P3D pretty nicely as well.

If you're into overclocking (which you should be with a setup like this) then you'll need an aftermarket CPU cooler as well.

Hey thanks Neumanix, I will check into that at newegg. That is ideally what I'm looking for. Don't want an outdated computer. Thanks for taking the time looking into this.

The scenary looks always very blocky , and basic ,

There isn't much you can do about this in FS9. The following will improve things a bit compared to default:

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1

You can also set TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=100 (or at least increase the value a little from the default)

I need to have FS9 running on its own disk?

It's not necessary but it is recommended. Windows always has some background activity going on, so placing FS9 on its own disk will help.

On an SSD you wouldn't notice any difference though I think.

Thanks for your assistance on this , I shall make these adjustments

Do you know anything about the REX scenery add ons , I'm considering getting these for my FS9 , but will they really make it spectactular looking, or will I end up disappointed?

I do know they are a lot better than default textures. But I'd suggest you download the freeware HDEv2 cloud,sky and ground detail textures from the library here at avsim and maybe try out some free water texture replacements as well. Many would agree with me that the HDE clouds are better than REX.

I do know they are a lot better than default textures. But I'd suggest you download the freeware HDEv2 cloud,sky and ground detail textures from the library here at avsim and maybe try out some free water texture replacements as well. Many would agree with me that the HDE clouds are better than REX.

Ok, thanks again,  I'll do that aswell

It'll keep me busy for a while :)

Thank you

There isn't much you can do about this in FS9. The following will improve things a bit compared to default:

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1

You can also set TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=100 (or at least increase the value a little from the default)

It's not necessary but it is recommended. Windows always has some background activity going on, so placing FS9 on its own disk will help.

On an SSD you wouldn't notice any difference though I think.

Next question

Where do I find this file in the FS9 folder?

It's not in your FS9 folder. Please learn to search before asking these FAQs.

It's not in your FS9 folder. Please learn to search before asking these FAQs.

oK,  I've find where it is now , I found the answer elsewhere