Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

So you got your XPX all set up? GOOD! Back up your system!

Just a reminder fellow aviation junkies,....use this post as a friendly reminder...back up your entire system. After each major change (adding, deleting..etc programs and files) I always now as a good habit,use the create system image, available within W7 Ultimate to do just that. To show you how much work and effort (if you can even track down all your programs and files...licenses, etc!) would have to be put into rebuilding my software footprint for XPX and everything else...

...it takes over 2.5 hours to download an image to my USB 3 back-up WD 2 TB external!

Imagine the hours to weeks of effort needed, if I even could rebuild my XPX,FSX.FS9 set ups as they now are, installed.  Shudder!

So, fellow XPX flyers,  back up your entire system, whether an incremental back up, or easier-than-pie total system image to an external medium. If you ever have a crash (that don't come with warning, a virus input, or home break in-theft of your system (you lock away and hide your external for this very reason, right?!?....) you only have to use your created repair disks ( you already did that, right?!?) to bring back your entire system/software footprint onto the new computer, or new SSD, hard drive, whatever... You bring back your image, and 2.5 hours (in my case...) later, you are back up and running.  Ahhhhhh...relief...

Maybe my post today is FATE...maybe, you are reading this for a reason, and Murphy is cutting ya a break.... (large smile...)  Mr. Murphy as you all know is not known for cutting you a break, if at all....so make good use of this post...  Happy non-ulcer flying to all! :)

Mitch

Post Edit:  Not five minutes after I posted this...and went back to my in-session XPX flight...there was a total power loss to my house, which came back 5 seconds later. I have my system protected by a battery back-up, and surge protector.  This incident is a known system-killer!  You get line voltage surge spike when the power comes back on...and can kiss your system, TV, fridge, air conditioner....possibly goodbye...see ya....

So, not only back up your system regularly, but invest in a good back-up battery, and surge/spike protector....buy these items before your next GPU purchase....the money should go there....if you have not already done so.

Apple + Time Machine = headache free simming

back up and archive on any platform gives headache free simming, lol.

Human nature...procrastinate. I don't have the time to back up my system, or go out and buy the software to do so...but after the fact?   "Man..what a lazy fool I was....now look....$**@((@(!"   No XPX...not anything...   "...where's my Ipod...back to listening to music...."...  Flight simulation is on...hold...

:)

It's a great advice, since last week I was thinking on buying an additional external usb hard drive to make a full system backup using Acronis. Now I will accelerate that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Alexander Colka

It's a great advice, since last week I was thinking on buying an additional external usb hard drive to make a full system backup using Acronis. Now I will accelerate that.

Peace-of-mind,...you'll be so glad that you did. Also, new hard-drive migration with a system image is so painless.

1. You make system repair discs using that feature inside W7

2. You use those discs to bring up the system image retreival software.

3. You bring back your latest system image onto your new empty disk drive or S.S.D....and a few minutes or hours later, viola....your entire system is there, the desktop you know....the software all installed.

There are way too many things that can go wrong, and wipe out your entire system on only the next second of computer operation. Lightning flash in the sky near your home , line voltage spike, M.T. F. of your hard drive or S.S.D. Poof....like a magician's wand wave.... W7 and entire installed software......GONE!

A System Image of your computer is the very best friend you can have. I have called upon it a few times....

Just a tip, before you create your image, do an entire defrag. That way, any time you call back that image, you will also get the benefit of a full system defrag coming back with it.

Happy System Imaging!

Thanks sesquashtoo, I'll save this info for later.

Alexander Colka

Thanks sesquashtoo, I'll save this info for later.

You are most welcome! :)