Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What's the best overall GA plane for VFR/Sightseeing?

Guys, I would like to know what the best plane is for vfr and sight seeing is for FSX? When I say best I mean, best looking graphics for exterior and interior, especially amazingly detailed virtual cockpit since thats the view I use most. And also sounds, and in terms on airplane features like glass cockpits, modern and advanced avionics.

I currently use Carenado Cirrus SR22GTX, and the 182T Skylane. Nice planes, but I feel there is something better out there. I love all glass cockpits, and would like a plane with an unobstructed view while I am flying in the vc. I like to be able to see  as much of the outside world as possible, not only what's in front of me, but to my left and right as well. So the front window of this plane would have to be nicely wide and shaped without anything interfering or blocking my view.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Realair Legacy. Modern, fast, looks awesome and has one of the best flight dynamics I've ever seen on any FSX GA aircraft. 

It doesn't have a glass cockpit though and some high wing aircraft might have better view outside and so, still it's no doubt one of the very best GA birds made for FSX, the immersion is just amazing.

I like the Baytower RV7, or for low and slow, the RealAir Scout...

I'm sure you'll get many more   :P 

Bert

Awesome guys, thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely give these a try! Feel free to add more to the list.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hi Aaron, 

There is a thread http://forum.avsim.net/topic/412969-fast-and-easy-ga-plane/ that discussed this as well.

JKH

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Another vote for the Baytower RV7.  It doesn't meet all your standards (no glass cockpit) but it's fast and responsive, and has a fighter-style canopy, so the view is unparalleled.

You might also like the RealAir SF260.  It's long in the tooth and has mostly been supplanted by their Legacy, but it's a great, fast flyer and, like the RV7, has a clear canopy with an unobstructed view all around.

For sightseeing, my choice is the A2A Piper J-3 Cub with Accu-sim, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.  Sightseeing is great because it's so slow that you can really get a look at things.  View is wonderful if you open the door.  But no electrical system, so no glass.  And at a 70-80 mph cruise, you really have to be in the right mood for it.

<p>And of course, the A2A Cub with window/ door open.  Tad slow, but if you want to sight-see,  I think that would be a plus.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Not sure if you can fit it with a glass cockpit, though.  ;)    </p>

<p> </p>

<p>(Beat me to it!)</p>

What happened?

What happened?

Edit with the "full editor" if you want the formatting characters to disappear..

Bert

I like the Carenado C337H. Being an in-line, high-wing twin, it gives you great visibility and excellent speed.

Sure the RAS Legacy has a more realistic flight model. But the low-wing design makes it less suitable for sightseeing.

Cheers,

Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Because you want sightseeing (slower) GA planes, and because you said you like glass, you might want to have a look at the rather nice C162 Skycatcher from Flight 1.

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=flt1c162

The P92 Eaglet from Ant's Airplanes is also an absolute winner; beautiful quality, and like the above, High Wing so you get the best view for sightseeing :-

http://www.antsairplanes.com/eaglet.html

Ahhhhh the Eaglet - beautiful VC.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Default trike. Slow enough that you can smell the roses, and a pretty much unparalleled view. Doesn't have a fancy cockpit, but if looking out the window is more important that doesn't really matter. Doesn't cost you cent more either. If you want a little more cockpit, the A2A Cub, without question. Open the door and you can see down. Then there is the Milviz Sabre. It's got a low wing but it's well behind you and you're perched up high in a bubble canopy. Not glass though - 50s tech. Won't fly too well under 200kts either. And short field is erm... marginal. But it has a good view.

My favorites GA singles.

RV-7 would be my top choice, it is my 'jack of all trades' GA plane, that it is speedy (good slow speed handling too), great STOL, aerobatic, good for IFR/VFR X-country. Great visibility from the cockpit, and the short wings don't block view too much. It's only 'downside' for me is that it has very fighter like sensitive controls, making hand flown instrument approaches a challenge. (not impossible tho, in fact good practice for high precision flying) The RV does have a simple autopilot to assist tho which is nice.

Legacy is also awesome, controls less sensitive than the RV make for great handflyer on instrument approaches. The Legacy is quite fast, good visibility great VC. It will get in to most GA airports, just not the real short ones more suited for the RV, Scout, Cub...etc

Classics Hangar BF-108. Vintage German beauty, great atmosphere in the cockpit, it feels like sitting in a vintage Mercedes. Great systems simulated specific to this airplane. Great STOL, cruises around 130-140kts

A2A Accusim Civil P-51, very fast, very deep systems, learn to properly operate and manage a big V-12. The Civil version doesn't have a gunsight, so visibility in flight is quite good actually. It is a warbird so it will keep you on your toes, but very rewarding plane to master. Airstrips under 2500' are challenging in the P-51.

C337 is one of Carenado's better creations, good FDE, nice visibility from cockpit, system depth not particularly deep, but still enjoyable to fly.

Alabeo Waco YMF is an excellent biplane with good FDE, and fun to fly.

As far as high wing vs low wing visibility, I find on average a lot of the low wings have better forward visibility while the high wings have better side. visibility

This is great! I will definitely look into all these planes mentioned in this thread. Quick question for you GA flyers. When flying for scenic viewing, what's a good speed and altitude to fly at? I have been flying commercial airliners most of my time and haven't really gotten into GA flying much and I'm use to flying at FL030+ at speeds around Mach 0.70+. Do helicopters and GA pilots usually fly around the same altitudes? I'm guessing an altitude of 2000 ft and above and around a speed of 120kts?

Is GA and bush flying basically the same thing?

Thanks for everyone's input on here! I greatly appreciate it.