Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What's the best overall GA plane for VFR/Sightseeing?

This is great! I will definitely look into all these planes mentioned in this thread. Quick question for you GA flyers. When flying for scenic viewing, what's a good speed and altitude to fly at? I have been flying commercial airliners most of my time and haven't really gotten into GA flying much and I'm use to flying at FL030+ at speeds around Mach 0.70+. Do helicopters and GA pilots usually fly around the same altitudes? I'm guessing an altitude of 2000 ft and above and around a speed of 120kts?

Is GA and bush flying basically the same thing?

Thanks for everyone's input on here! I greatly appreciate it.

Totally depends on winds, turbulence, type of engine or how many etc

Helo's tend to fly 500 AGL up to 10,000 MSL depending on winds aloft.

Small piston planes about the same, of course there are rules for how low you can fly over populated areas.  But for sightseeing usually 1000 AGL as a minimum upwards to 10,500.  High performance props which usually are turbocharged like the Cirrus, Columbia (corvalis), Lancairs etc can go well into the teens and above but then require Oxygen.  Twins usually the same but they arent normally used for sightseeing as the wings and engines block the view.  But you're about right for most slow planes, Cessnas, Pipers, Beechcraft do anywhere from 500 AGl to 3000 AGL for sight seeing.

General aviation is basically anything other than airlines and air taxi services/hired services....  You can fly general aviation in a B747 or a Piper Cub.

Bush flying mostly would be like an air taxi service (used as transportation in Alaska or back country), but bush flying certainly can be part of GA.

I'd also go for the RV7... pretty fast (around 180 KTAS), very low stall speed (think short fields here), manueverable, and excellent vis with short stubby low wings.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I like the Baytower RV7, or for low and slow, the RealAir Scout...

Ditto. These would have been my two favorites.

The Baytower is fantastic! I fly an aircraft in real life that looks a lot like it, and it feels right the way the BayTower flies! One of the best GA in FSX. Too bad it seems the developer has stopped development of this or any other addon.

Alexis Mefano

I uploaded a plane some time back that might be worth looking at. It's a somewhat rare home-built design from the 70's known as the Mini-Imp. It has the visibility of a sailplane, but is able to cruise at around 180 mph at sea level. The model is highly detailed and includes 3d gauges.

post-109872-0-67343000-1374112177.jpg

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=171567

Didnt even know it was released!  Thanks Robert!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

C-172 or Cub good for vfr flying very forgiving. Sometimes just fly Carendo C-172 or SR-22 if speed and altitude is needed

It's funny how most people think about high wing planes when they think about sight seeing. Imho a plane like the Legacy (with low wings and a canopy) is the best plane for sightseeing. It gives you a wide open panoramic view on everything! With high wings you never get such a wide open view. The problem with high wings is (according to me) that I can't really see the sky (which is also worth sightseeing) and I feel boxed in a tiny VC with a too low ceiling... I almost get claustrophobic. ;) Also when turning your view is blocked by the high wings which is very annoying during approaches/circuits and totally not suited for sightseeing (where you would make turns often).

I really get >10 times more feeling of FREEDOM and 'being able to see it all' with a low wing plane like the Legacy with a canopy! Yes, of course the low wings blocks the view straight down but not as much as you would think: you can see more then enough ahead of the wing.

I used to only buy planes with high wings because I am a sightseeing pilot, but not anymore: nowadays I never would buy a plane with high wings anymore! (I hardly buy planes btw because the Legacy offers all I need.)

Well, there are pros and cons, obviously. Agree with your arguments, but anyway, I still think high wing aircraft is a little bit better for sight seeing. :smile:

I'd recommend either the J3 (default or A2A with Accusim for a better experience) or the RealAir Legacy - so one high-wing, and one low-wing aircraft.

The Cub is great, because it is really slow, which is an advantage for that purpose, especially if you're about to go sightseeing in a city. On the other hand the high wings will limit your view when you need to turn, and you'll eventually have to turn to take a closer look or have a 360° view of a certain landmark.

The Legacy is nice, because it is quite fast, so it makes flights between distant landmarks/points of your interest more comfortable, besides it has a certain level of automation which gives you the opportunity to enjoy more of the scenery and concentrate less on the flying (since it's only a sim I guess it's OK to do that -_-).

While a high-wing aircraft does offer a better view of the ground, it also (for me, at least) feels more confined because the wing is like a low ceiling hanging right over my head.  Not quite claustrophobic, but close to that.  A low-wing gives me a feeling of open air and boundless views, even if the wing is obscuring more of the ground.  So, a low wing offers (me) a more enjoyable view even if it's not as effective a view.

However, I'm definitely going to check out that Mini-Imp...  it looks like a fantastic plane for sightseeing.  With the wing that far back, how it's mounted is a total non-issue.

Most people that are into sightseeing from the air are into looking down.  Either trying to find their home or other geographical feature. 

Low wings are great for 'big picture viewing', such as horizons, looking at stars, landscapes, etc.

So, you really need to define what you mean by sightseeing, because at some point you're going to have a wing obstructing your view.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Try the Alabeo Staggerwing!! its awsome!!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Try the Alabeo Staggerwing!

That's a great idea - stop worrying about the wings, they'll block you view in that one anyway :lol:. (Sorry for the joke, I just couldn't resist, given
 the above discussion about high-/low-wing aircraft)

Out of all the planes in my hanger, the Carenado Grand Caravan is absolutely perfect for GA sight seeing. High wing, good speed and yet you can drop her like a stone if you wish. However, most of all, the thing that makes this a perfect choice is it's amazing unobstructed all round view from the VC.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776