Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Garmin GNS430/530 - exciting news!

Yeah I'm not buying the RXP bashing either...... Regarding the 'non-existant support' ; The products are so mature that it's unlikely any user support would be required (except for issues such as payment etc, which can of course be handled through vendors).

As for the integration support with other developers.    Well, that comes down to the developer! ......... All they need to do is provide a model (or an option for a model) that avoids 3D positions for stock GPS units, that conflict with the RXP knob dimensions. And provide "gauge space" within the model, for the RXP units.....

Any user can then add a RXP unit perfectly.

The likes of RealAir (and even tiny outfits like Ants Airplanes) have done this, but also have gone the extra mile, and used their programming skills to offer GUIs that will allow the RXP units to be slotted in, at the click of a mouse   - and I bet they did not require "support from RXP" to achieve that. :wink:

Are people who have invested in RXPs 430/530 products (and enjoy 99+% functionality as the real units) really going to "flush them down the toilet" and buy some more from Mindstar?

I know I ain't.

Mindstar really need to invest some time and money in their website and front end. Their website is very '2006' and doesn't inspire me to hand over my cash (not to mention the aforementioned lack of PayPal support; a popular and safe transaction method these days).

I love RXP but the only reason I'd get these is p3d. I really miss the RXP units :(

Guest Mik75

The 2011 navdata is the only downside with the RXP gauges. All other aspects are completely positive for me! One shouldn't forget that the basic "gauge" on which the RXP GNS is built on, is the original Garmin GNS 430/530 training software. So, nothing can be closer to the real deal, right? ;-)

I echo Scott's statements completely. Will i be able to do everything I can do with RXP already PLUS updatable Navdata subscription?

Then I'm sold.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Not really competition ... More like (hopefully) revolution if they can get it right.

Most the people who will buy RXP already have. I'm betting RXP hardly gets any new sales these days.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Good points here guys, especially that last one Ryan

Hopefully this comes quickly (yes I realize what I just said lol) P3d needs this.

Maybe they should've done one of the newer Garmins, for those folks with RXP who don't want to update, which is understandable.

Do you think they'll make it with the same approach as RXP? ie, from the trainer?

For those wondering Oshkosh ends August 4. So I wonder of maybe if it'll be here later in August.

Unless they preview it at Oshkosh and release it shortly after, which would make sense.

I hope it's like the trainers. If its just default with mods for navdata that could be an issue.

Pretty sure you can't do STARs / SIDS with stock GPS. (Yes I know you can manually enter them).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Can you make flight plans just like you do on a FMC for lets say a 737 with this RXP GPS system? And ILS, glideslope, landing, capturing as well?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Being that Mindstar primarily develops their avionics for commercial users, I'll be shocked if they're not fully functional.  And yes, LPV will be modeled later this year. These guys deliver on their promises.

Todd

Can you make flight plans just like you do on a FMC for lets say a 737 with this RXP GPS system? And ILS, glideslope, landing, capturing as well?

You can make flight plans and do all sorts of other things, they're quite powerful units.

I'm not sure what you mean with the approach and landing though, if your asking about SID/STAR and approaches then yes.

Aaron, the existing RXP units do exactly as a real-world 530 or 430 does - they're based on Garmin's own trainer.  Yes, you can enter flightplans, complete with SIDs and STARs if you like, and yes you can couple these, depending on the AP implemented in the airplane you're using it in, including glideslope (and virtual glideslope for LPV approaches).  There is no auto land, and there is no VNAV control (though you can set up some VNAV guidance) and, of course, power settings are up to the pilot, not the system.

You can look at manuals here: http://www8.garmin.com/products/manual.jsp?product=010-00416-01 .  A quick google will give you a lot of 430/530 tutorials as well if you're interested.

Hope that helps,

Scott

These guys deliver on their promises.

Todd,

That's good to hear and I don't think anyone's implying otherwise, absent good information.  It's just that at this point we don't know what those promises are, and many of us have limited exposure to Mindstar as a developer.  I've looked at their G1000 in the past as a potential solution to other vendor's G1000 limitations, but have always stopped consideration based on integration concerns and limited information on both their site and in the general community.

Right now, the RXP units are a known quantity for the 430/530 crowd with a lot of upsides, and only a handful of downsides.  Don't misunderstand - I'm very interested, but excitement will only come with those all-important implementation details.

Scott

Scott,

Your criticisms are fair. And certainly RXP is a known quantity. But that known quantity isn't all good as of late if you spend any time in their forums. I think MindStar's biggest weakness is not having a good website, which on the flight sim side of things is the best way to market. Documentation is another area of weakness, as a lot of folks expect a large manual to tell them how to edit their panel.cfg file. Well, with the G1000 you get a single text document on how to edit the panel.cfg file. It's straight forward but could be better written. One thing I will say, they are very responsive if you email them a question.

There are a lot of questions about the function of these GPS units. Understand that you won't get a manual on how to use these GPS units. For the G1000, for example, you have to download the actual 600-plus page Garmin manual. This developer's major business focus is commercial customers, where the gauges better replicate the real thing. They are constantly updating/improving their gauges. So, when you need the actual manual to understand operation, that should tell you something about what you are getting. Remember, crossfill and navdata updates are supported. Hardly something you get in a lite model.

FYI, I don't work for these guys and I am not a beta tester. I just like their G1000 product a lot, and am pumped about this GNS package. I'm glad to see a Garmin alternative to RXP. Competition makes everyone better. And that can only be good for our hobby.

Todd