Sign in to follow this  
jjjallen

More RAM Can Save Your SSD

Did I just skim over that article too quickly or is it just me finding that Toms are saying that if you run applications that require your system to do a lot of paging to disk it is good to invest in more RAM. Hardly anything new.

How many people here have had their SSDs to die of age from writing too much data to them? None

Mines 3 months old now. Not sure what to expect. Sticking with 8GB ram.

C.

If this really concerns you, use/get a HD (rotating media) for your paging file.  It's that simple, though it will be a substantial performance hit in comparison to paging on the SSD (assuming that you are using apps that really are page swapping).

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I think that the point of the article is that you can prevent a substantial number of writes to your SSD (with a gain in performance) if you have more ram.  

Regards

jja 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

To me it seems logical that more RAM will result in decreased writes to a SSD. I'm assembling a new Haswell based system and intend to have OS installed on a 240GB Intel 520 SSD. 16GB RAM.

What's your opinon on how I should setup Windows swapfile. Leave it as it is or setup a static 1GB swapfile, or...?

I quit flying FSX a couple of years ago and mainly use my pc for photo editing with Photshop and Lightroom. But with my new Haswell buld I'm a little bit tempted to install FSX once again :-)

Sounds like a great new build.  I always recommend letting the OS manage the swap file otherwise it is like gilding the Lily (IOW leave well enough alone)

Regards

jja 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Thanks jja,

I'll let Windows Operating System Forces manage the swapfile ^_^

I think that the point of the article is that you can prevent a substantial number of writes to your SSD (with a gain in performance) if you have more ram.  

Regards

jja 

That's not really all that different than minimizing writes to a hard drive in order to improve performance. If your system is heavily using the paging file (and the tests in that article used some pretty RAM heavy applications), then one should really look into more RAM. On the other hand, if the system is just being used for email and web browsing, I can't see 4 vs. 16 GB of RAM making much difference. I haven't heard of anyone wearing out a SSD yet.

Agreed. this is like suggesting you should  buy a helmet and wear it at all times just in case you decide to club yourself in the head at some point.

I mean, if you're using RAM intensive apps, absolutely get as much RAM as you need, SSD or not

Agreed. this is like suggesting you should buy a helmet and wear it at all times just in case you decide to club yourself in the head at some point.

... Or that you should wear seatbelts in a car in case you crash. Crazy, right?

Bicycle helmets are mandated by law in Australia.

Sheez, it's not like RAM is that expensive nowadays.

... Or that you should wear seatbelts in a car in case you crash. Crazy, right?

Bicycle helmets are mandated by law in Australia.

Sheez, it's not like RAM is that expensive nowadays.

I don't think you got my point. All I'm saying is that you can't run a super RAM intensive benchmark on 4GB and suggest that anyone would benefit from upgrading to 16GB. I'd much rather have just enough fast RAM for my needs than amounts of slow RAM I don't need, just like I wear my helmet when I ride my road bike because that's where I have a use for it

From what I have read lately:

1.) You don't gain anything from having more than 8GB of RAM for most games . . . UNLESS you are running a 64-bit game, such as the 64-bit version of X-Plane 10. (32-bit Windows can only use a maximum of 4GB per process.)

2.) Faster RAM is also important, even though most gaming benchmarks won't show that it increases performance. That is because most only show maximum FPS, and the biggest difference is in the increase of the lowest FPS (the low-performance spikes). Faster RAM will make some game/sims run smoother (Such as Skyrim, CIV 5, FSX, and X-Plane). +1600MHz RAM also has a more noticeable effect with faster CPUs . . . the more you overclock your CPU, the more benefit you will see with faster RAM. Plus there are other programs that will benefit from more than 8GB.

I'm getting a new PC this summer, and it is going to have 16GB of 2133MHz CL-10 RAM. Upgrading from 8GB @1600 added less than $100 to my build.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE