Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Why don't piston planes have mufflers?

Who would want to muffle the beautiful sound of a big V-12 or Radial...that is pure airplane music.

Sorry GE90, you sound great spooling up, but you cant touch a Merlin in the sound department IMHO :P

Who would want to muffle the beautiful sound of a big V-12 or Radial...that is pure airplane music.

Non-aviation enthusiasts  living under its flight path certainly would - they'd say it was pure noise and annoyance.

Are those same non aviation enthusiasts living near freeways, and usual urban noise which is frequently louder than the airplanes? We live with much more annoying urban noise than avation noise. Guys overcompensating with their big loud trucks, ghetto kids in their cars with loud stereos, construction noise, the guy who runs his lawnmower at 7AM on Saturday.

Do these people also move near an airport or under a flight path, know this before hand and then complain about airplane noise?

Prescott, AZ Airport is located about 7 miles out of town. City builds municipal golf course near airport because the land is cheap. Land developers see golf course and get the idea to build houses around it. People move into those houses, then complain about the aircraft noise. They really started to complain during the summer months when forestry aircraft were based there.

Some idiot there even decided to have a revival tent put up right under the departure end of the main runway, then had the gall to ask the Forestry service to suspend operations on Sunday. Maybe if the forest fires can be asked to suspend operations on Sunday, then maybe the Forestry service would LOL

Saying people shouldn't object Is futile. The reality is that they will object and their objections will be listened to.  Burying one's head in the sand and ignoring the problem is a sure way to  reduce the extent private flying.

The reality is that In the UK it is becoming increasing difficult to get consent to improve any facilities at small airfields because of the objections to the increased number of movements and consequential  noise. Consent may be refused outright or, at best, granted with restrictions that effectively nullify it. The result is that airfield owners begin to look around for more profitable uses and the airfield is lost.

Who says they don't have mufflers? Pretty sure there hasn't been a Cessna or Piper built in the last 50 yrs that doesn't have a muffler of some sort and I've been an A&P for 29 yrs so I've been under the cowl of a few. Where else would you get your cabin heat? Most of the noise you hear from a plane overhead comes from the prop BTW...

Bingo! Even at idle most piston planes are making as much prop noise as they do engine noise.

Maybe you could all argue over why dogs don't have tails :smile:

Some people would argue with a fence post.

Scott

Its not like Spitfires and Hurricanes are flying over the UK every day now. I bet during WW2 those folks weren't complaining about airplane noise LOL, at least not that of Allied aircraft. Ironic, without those beautiful sounding Merlin engines 70 years ago, the people of the UK would be under a different kind of government. Do folks there really call up a place like Duxford and object to the noise of historical aircraft there?

I can understand why someone would object to a louder GA plane departing at 4AM over a neighborhood. However they have no basis for their complaints when the GA traffic is mixed with the daily urban noise. Sure they will complain, and it is unfortunate that their complaints carry weight with city councils. I didn't like noise abatement procedures when I was actively flying, but I did follow them as a courtesy...to a point. I would not land with a 15kt tailwind just because some yuppie didn't like the sound of a Lycoming O-360.

Sure they will complain, and it is unfortunate that their complaints carry weight with city councils.

But that is the reality. Those who love near an airfield generally vote for the local councillors. Those who fly from an airfield generally don't. Which group do you think the the council will listen to?

I didn't like noise abatement procedures when I was actively flying, but I did follow them as a courtesy...to a point. I would not land with a 15kt tailwind just because some yuppie didn't like the sound of a Lycoming O-360.

So you did your bit to create complaints and put private aviation under threat. With friends like you who needs enemies?

yes when safety is a factor, it always takes a major priority over some yuppie's serenity

From memory something reminds me that a large amount of noise comes from the prop alone, org Harvard the prop tip was close to super-sonic until modified, also also when you measure db's sound is exponential

yes when safety is a factor, it always takes a major priority over some yuppie's serenity

Just because you think something is unsafe mean it actually is. Also not everyone who objects to aircraft noise is a yuppie.

Your attitude is the sort that damages the long-term prospects for private flying..

Landing with a 15kt tailwind is generally regarded as unsafe by many pilots, especially if its a smaller airport.  Go land a Lancair Legacy on a 2000ft runway with a big tailwind and see what fun it is. Taildraggers like tailwinds even less. 10kts is my limit for a tailwind.  I am sorry my attitude makes me an a-hole but I will not sacrifice the safety of the people on the ground, passengers, myself, nor risk damage to property and aircraft for the sake of peace and quiet for those who chose to live next to an airport.  I will observe established noise abatements until they encroach on aircraft safety.  I think you will find that attitude prevalent among many pilots.

Cheers

TJ

why, therefore, fit hush kits to turbine engined aircraft? The same reasoning applies.

Since I listed that as the 4th most important consideration, I can't really argue with you, except to say that turbine-powered aircraft generally carry more passengers ($$) and it makes sense to keep the flight experience quieter. But for a Cub or a 152, really what's the point of a fancy muffler?

But for a Cub or a 152, really what's the point of a fancy muffler?

Well, maybe with a fancy muffler one could try this while flying: :lol:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Most small GA airplanes do not have mufflers. The heating system uses a "muff" that fits around the exhaust pipe. Fresh air into the muff, and heated air out. Naturally, no heated air mixes with the exhaust. There usually isn't enough room to pack an exhaust muffler into the cowl. The two or three cylinders on each side, will connect to one exaust pipe. And two exhaust pipes will exit at an angle behind the cowl. There are different arrangements used, such as cross over pipes. As a rule, when mufflers are used, they have to hang under the airplane. They're ugly, add drag, and can have pressure effects as previously mentioned.<br /><br />Except for some "geared" engines that have a high pitched whine, I like the sounds of over flying aircraft. I lived next door to an airport for nearly 14 years. And as far as I'm concerned, the P-51 Merlin is the best sound in the world!

Sorry GE90, you sound great spooling up, but you cant touch a Merlin in the sound department IMHO

Man - chills up and down the spine - LOVE that sound!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick