Sign in to follow this  

Hey guys

My current config is the 2500k along with the maximus v Gene from Asus.The cpu is clocked to 4.7 ghz along with a gtx 570.I have a kingston v300 240 gb and 8 gb of corsair ram.

I have decided that i need an upgrade and thought of upgrading the cpu to a 4770k and get a similar board from asus.However now after checking the price in my local market, iam a little confused and would need your help for the same.

Firstly whats the performance difference between the 3770k and the 4770k ?

Would i still be ok with the 4670k i5 variant over the 3770 k ?

One thing is that if i go for the 3770k, i would not need a new board and might think about upgrading the gpu.

I would really love to hear your suggestions.Thanks.

Clinton Royston Fernandes.

Vabb-Mumbai India.

If you have your 2500 OC'd to 4.7GHz it's doubtful you'll have any significant performance improvement by upgrading. The 3xxx and 4xxxx generations are maybe 10-15% faster when comparing clock vs clock to 2xxx. They are more energy efficient, but that's basically it.They are also not so good at overclocking, so 4.5GHz is a reasonable limit. Basically you won't gain anything.

If you need to upgrade I would consider the graphics card. The GTX570 is now 2 generations old and the GTX770 is roughly 50% faster. But off course if you use the computer only for FSX the graphic card doesn't matter so much - it matters but GTX570 is more than enough.

Summing up I wouldn't upgrade yet in your situation. You have a very powerful setup and there is not much you can gain by upgrading. If you have an urge to spend money (like I have sometimes ;) ) then I would spend it on some nice hardware controller - like a professional yoke or something.

Hi..thanks for your reply

No the computer would be used for gaming and fsx as well.So iam contemplating the gpu upgrade.So how does a 3770K and a 670 sound ?

I understand that I might not see any improvement in fsx in fps.but what about overall performance ?

Vabb-Mumbai India.

My friend and I upgraded. He went from GTX570 oc to a 680. I went from AMD 6950 to GTX 660ti and then to AMD 7970. We both have smoother and more steady fps when the weather rolls in. Was it worth $400 less the sale of the old card? That's up to you. I lock at 40 now instead of 30 as does he.

Landing at KSEA or KPDX in PMDG aircraft in poor weather still means FPS in the 20's. I want Haswell now.

C.

Hi..thanks for your reply

No the computer would be used for gaming and fsx as well.So iam contemplating the gpu upgrade.So how does a 3770K and a 670 sound ?

I understand that I might not see any improvement in fsx in fps.but what about overall performance ?

I would for now park the MB and CPU upgrade and just buy a new graphics card in your case. I would recommend the new GTX770 (maybe Palit Jetstream). It has very good value for money. Performs similar to the old GTX680 with less power consumption.

Guys Thanks for your suggestions.

However i would still like to know...just for my information

4770k=4670k=3770k ? Which is better ?

Vabb-Mumbai India.

4770K / DDR3 3000MHz The fastest FSX platform.....by far!

HLJAMES

HLJAMES

hey thanks for your reply.Would u hence suggest that i could be fine with the 4670k as well ?

Vabb-Mumbai India.

Its ok with 4670k better than a 3770K for FSX.

HLJAMES

new set on the way 2800 9 12 12 28 1T ^_^

Hasse

Its ok with 4670k better than a 3770K for FSX.

new set on the way 2800 9 12 12 28 1T ^_^

Hasse

WOW! 6.4ns thats the best I have ever seen.

When memory comes out with Haswell timing tables then we will see the full potential of Haswell.

HLJAMES