Sign in to follow this  
IAF747

24 Hour Airports in the USA and Canada

Sydney Australia is not a 24 hour airport, nor is RJAA.

Are there any airports in the US that are not 24 hour ops?

There are plenty of non 24 hours airports, depends on what type of airport you are talking about? Restrictions come from various reasons, noise and terrain are the first two which come to mind.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

San Fran? KSFO

KATL

KMIA

KORD

KDCA

I would say KLAX is 24 hours.

Just asking. Mainly big airports out of interest. Stuff that takes International flights.

KDFW?

KORD

The O'Hare Tower is definitely staffed 24 hours a day.  

KSFO is also opened 24 hours a day from what I know.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

There are a lot of smaller airports in the US which do not necessarily close but ATC services are only available during the day. For instance KSFB, a hub for Allegiant Air, only has tower and ground from 0630 to 2300 local. IIRC all primary airports in the US are open 24/7.

While KAPF doesn't close, it does have voluntary restrictions from 10pm - 7am local time where you are not supposed to use the airfield. Restrictions are going to be much more common then closing. Then you have KTEX which IS closed from 9pm - 6am local time. KORD being a 24/7 facility does have noise abatement procedures in place from 10pm - 7am local time.

Tom

I can think of a number of smaller regional airports that the control tower is closed from 10 pm to 6 am but the runway is open 24 hours. The pilot turns on the runway lights by tuning into a frequency and pushing the push to talk. Communications after hours is on the tower frequency but you just do an uncontrolled traffic pattern.

Most of the major ones the tower is 24 hours but their isn't as many departures after midnight until about 6 am. mostly arrivals.

I remember departing from Honolulu airport to Auckland at 2 or 3 am and the pilot was required to make a turn south away from the city after taking off for noise reasons at that time of night.

Matthew Kane

I can think of a number of smaller regional airports that the control tower is closed from 10 pm to 6 am but the runway is open 24 hours. The pilot turns on the runway lights by tuning into a frequency and pushing the push to talk. Communications after hours is on the tower frequency but you just do an uncontrolled traffic pattern.

It should also be noted that at many airports which become uncontrolled at night, only one runway is open. This information can be found within the AFD.

Tom

The O'Hare Tower is definitely staffed 24 hours a day.  

That's for sure, the only difference is that instead of seeing pax aircraft lining up for takeoff you will see long lines consisting of cargo planes. Around 3-4 a.m. it gets really slow but you have the occasional freighter or heavily delayed international arrival coming in.