Sign in to follow this  
red259

Vox Atc vs pro atc

I'm trying to decide which of the two atc programs to get. I am looking for an offline ATC so vatsim etc is out. I tried vox atc, but it took awhile to setup so I only had time to run one successful flight using vox before the trial expired. Pro atc does not have a trial at all. I am flying jets and am looking for an atc for ifr. I run pmdg 737 ngx, UT2, Rex w OD, fs2crew and am using a trial version of EFB. I understand there is some concern that development has slowed with pro atc. It seems like the voices sound more realistic with pro atc.

Between the two programs which one is less taxing on a computer system? I understand that vox is popular given the ability to speak directly with ATC. In what ways is pro atc better than vox? I was told vox would direct traffic on the ground, although I keep having a cessna end up on the holding ramp waiting for the runway but never going anywhere. In addition with vox it seems like the bulk of planes it generates is cessnas and not jets which is odd at kjfk. 

Radar Contact v4.3 should be added to your short list. It has no appreciable affect on FS. It communicates with Ai which Pro-ATCX doesn't I believe.

There's no trial version but it's one of the most popular ATC programs so many will be able to give you an opinion on it. http://www.jdtllc.com/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I dont use ProATC but I do use VOXATC, as a RW CPL and working in UK ATC here is my views in a nutshell.

VOXATC is easy and quick to setup, setup your buttons, run the Indexer and that is it really apart from loading a flight with a saved flight plan.

Traffic? I used UT2 and gave up due to large amount of Deadlus painted aircraft IMO ... pants, also i think you still need UT Bridge which means VOXATC can see your UT2 aircraft to inject, may account for your lack of traffic.

I now use Traffic X 5.4 and am very happy with the results.

Closestive come to a ProATC type of ATC is Radar Contact, liked that but not very good at controlling traffic also pressing buttons and listening to your reply is not very real world. Chatter is good and think ProATC does a good job at that, am i happy to press buttons or use a on screen GUI to talk to ATC .. No.

If you want to 'talk' to ATC the is only one choice right now .. VOXATC, it isnt perfect (no ATC program is right now) but it does two things very well, it lets you talk with your voice and it realalisticley adds to the cockpit workload just as in real life (if you want you can have your co-pilot handle the coms).

I think the biggest drawback with VOXATC is the cost, nearly £90 (uk) but that does come with 4 TTS voices which sound good and much better than robotic ones used by most of the other offerings. Other TSS voices can be added BUT they cost! Be prepaired to spend nearly £160 for VOXATC and 3 Ivona voices ... Ivona voices are the best by far IMO.

I think PROATC will get a talking upgrade in the future but when and how good/real is to be seen.

VOXATC dosent really tax ur system and you can (if you want/need to) tell it to use a spacfic CPU core, ive never needed to.

If i didnt fly in real life and work in ATC what would i buy? Prob PROATC.

Knowing what I know and wanting to get as close as I can what would i buy? VOXATC.

When ur flying, navigating, managing your aircrafts systems, talking to ur co-pilot (inc case of NGX & FS2Crew) and having to talk to ATC being vectored for an ILS, prob in IMC ... Maybe at night and RAAS starts talking to you along with the GPWS .. Is it close to real? .. Yep .. do i want to press buttons? No.

Anyway ... gone ob a bit here, what ever choice you make .... Welcome to the world of ATC and most of all enjoy.

Rich

I tried the VOX ATC demo but it baffled me and installing the panel into my aircraft was problematic. Next...

Radar Contact is old and clunky but does what it says on the tin.

PFE is good for immersion (has lots of different accents - German controllers are German, Alitalia pilots are Italian etc - but is a chore to set up and is temperamental in its operation. Great when it works though.

Pro ATC X isn't there yet. It could be great - dynamic SIDS and STARS, a doddle to set up and use but the actual ATC instructions are so screwy it's unreal. You'll get cleared to random intersections and VORs that are not along your flightplan (indeed not even in the FMC!) and you're often left flailing about in a descent miles away from the airport. Pity, because it really could be a winner.

You should also look at MCE (Multi Crew Experience). It allows you to talks to default FSX ATC or Radar Contact in a much more natural and less rigid way than VoxATC requires.

I registered vox atc. I'm still trying to sort out the setup issues. There is either a ton of cessnas or very few jets. I am using ut2 with it and ran the bridge program. I set the ut2 traffic to 0 and I don't see any traffic at the gates and maybe one jet taxi. I have traffic under vox set at 50% as I was worried about killing my frame rates. I will try to tinker with it some more to see if more jets appear. The program recognizes my voice for the most part now, although I am not certain how to setup approaches using stars or to get it to use sids. 

You should also look at MCE (Multi Crew Experience). It allows you to talks to default FSX ATC or Radar Contact in a much more natural and less rigid way than VoxATC requires.

In fact, MCE let's you also talk to PFE. I think either of the lot, Radar Contact, PFE, or VoxATC does what they say, all of them have their quirks, but lately I tend to use more PFE than the other programs (I own all three and sometimes being able to use a different ATC module is refreshing).

Regarding workload on a jetliner, usually the pilot not flying handles the comms if I am not mistaken. So, you could set up PFE as handling the comms automatically (like through a co-pilot) and button pressing will be reduced to a minimum.

I registered vox atc. I'm still trying to sort out the setup issues. There is either a ton of cessnas or very few jets. I am using ut2 with it and ran the bridge program. I set the ut2 traffic to 0 and I don't see any traffic at the gates and maybe one jet taxi. I have traffic under vox set at 50% as I was worried about killing my frame rates. I will try to tinker with it some more to see if more jets appear. The program recognizes my voice for the most part now, although I am not certain how to setup approaches using stars or to get it to use sids.

I tried the Vox demo over a year ago and it was exactly this problem with UT2 that stopped me from buying. The dev would not assure me that if I switched to MT X 5.4, it would work and wouldn't extend my demo time to try, so that was that.

Ironically enough I am now using My Traffic X 5.4. Who knows, if I had been on MTX at the time, I could be using Vox ATC today.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I believe the bridge is strictly for UT2. I use Vox with MTX with no problem in P3D.

NAX669.png

After reading this thread I am so confused...so not buying any. 

I had tried RC and VOX a long time ago.. I can;t remember what it was like

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter