Sign in to follow this  
rsperge

what do you suggest me to update with my current setup for fsx

Its time for me to update my computer:

my current setup is the following:  by the way c drive/operating system is on, windows 7, 64 bits,  on G drive/just FSX about 85 gb's worth.

3770k 4.2ghz

P8Z77-V Pro

1866- cas 9   9,10,9,27 -Corsair

H80 - Corsair

Evga gtx 580, 1.5 gigs memory

1,000 watts, power

Dell - 2709 flat panel

I have been using FSX since 1998, familiar with all the tweeks,  yes I still get some stutters, lets face it fsx, never will be perfect.  I have all the usual addons, utx, gex, rex, fs dreamteam airports, KJFK vol2.0, KFLL, kLAX, KORD, KDFW, CYVR, Fly Tampa, KBOS, KBUF, KTPA, CYUL, Latin VFR, KSAN, KMIA vol2.1, Flightbeam, KIAD, PMDG, Queens of the Skies, 747-400, 737, ngx, j4100, Captain Sim 707, 727, L10-11, level-d767,  Carenado, c337, c340, realair, duke b60 and turbine, Lancaster legacy,coolsky dc-9 classic, and md-80 professional.  Orbx scenery I know missing.

So what should I update on my computer, I have about $700.00 to play with

A new processor and motherboard I believe won't make much of a difference, such as Haswell, correct me if I am wrong

I was thinking about possiblby getting a new video card, such as nivida, 770 or 780, what are the difference between these 2 cards, and how would they help or improve performance of FSX ???

Also how much of an improvement would either card give me over my current gtx 580 in FSX ????

Or maybe getting faster memory like 2400 with 9,11,11,  31, would this improve my performance in current setup for fsx  ???

Well, their you have it, help me out folks on how to upgrade fsx, by the way I don't need anymore planes for addons or scenery,  just talking about my computer.

looks good, to me man but just my opinion the dell 27 runs its native resolution 1920x1200 or  the 2560x1440, will be must hungry on fps@ that res but looks good for those specs man .. regards fernando...

how about upgrading the video cards to either 770 0r 780 and what is the difference between the two, and what improvement would you see from fsx based on performance or aa, and frames......  I guess my memory is okay for this setup????  no sense in jumping to 2133 or 2400,?????

thanks Ronny

You can't get your processor up to 4.5-4.7?  Even then what will 300 mhz really net you?  I'd agree the 770 or 780 would be nice.  It will allow you to increase cloud cover and resolution and anti-aliasing.  With no bufferpools you can offload to the video card and it will handle it no problem.  I have a similar system to yours and I'm looking at a 780 gtx as my next upgrade.  I'm pretty happy with my fsx performance.  It runs smooth if I'm realistic with what I throw at it.  I usually skip a processor cycle between upgrades.  My last cpu was the first i7, i7-920.  I play other games as well so I've got plenty of cpu.  Vid card is my only real upgrade for those games.

dcgatpr29 - we seem to have similar systems

How about a new ssd drive for 150 or 200 gb's - I am very unfmailar with these hardrives, since I have your classic Velcoraptor/  7,200 rpms's with the C drive for the operating system, windows 7 64 bit, and fsx on g drive by itself., with another Velcopstor.

thus could I ;leave the c drive alone with the os, and uninstall fsx completely with my addons, and then buy a 200gb ssd drive for fsx on the reinstall, for the G Drive.  I know this would be a long process, unistalling and reinstalling my fsx, but I am willing to do it with an sssd drive.

Could this be done??, and secondly what advantes does a ssd drive give over the v

elcoraptor, besides loading quicker,  could this improve performance??.

by the way the reason why I am stuck on 4.2 ghz, and not 4.5 ghz, having a problem with the multiplier, does not change from 4.2, and also using block 101.0

I'm running FSX on a Samsung 840 SSD and am happy with it.

Loads quickly and is QUIET...

No need to uninstall anything - move your entire FSX directory to the new drive

and then change the Drive Names, so the SSD is the G: drive.

Bert

that simple, Bert, I always believed keep it sas, simple and straight not complicated, 

will the ssd drive improve performance in fsx besides loading quickly and less noise ??

thus, if I was going to update, would put fsx on its own ssd drive, and get a new video card

like the 770 gtx, or is their a major advantage visually and get the 780 instead.   let me know folks,    thanks, Ronny

You will not get a performance improvement - smoothness.. maybe..

Bert

SSD won't improve fps.  It's just better tech imo.  No moving parts, longer life, less or no heat, no sound, longevity, maintenance (no defrag necessary).  It may improve texture loading.  How much better over a 10k raptor?  I don't know.  I may get another soon and try FSX on it.

On the vid card, when I upgrade, I UPGRADE, but I play other games so the 780 is worth it for me.  The 770 has less ram (2 vs 3gb on 780) and is slower.  Your 580 has 1.5 right?  Is FSX all you play?  Will you get $400 worth of performance in FSX buying the 770?  Is the 780 worth an extra $200?  These are decisions everyone makes when they upgrade any component in their system.  Is it worth it?  Personally I think we've reached the pinnacle of FSX performance.  Nothing is going to give us huge increases atm.  It's just too old to really take advantage of these top of the line DX11 cards and 4 and 6 core processors.  Maybe Prepare3D will change all that with a DX11 based engine and/or 64 bit.

Google search comparisons between 770 and 780.  I believe there are some FSX users who have posted comments about their 780's performance; Word Not Allowed maybe or nickn.  Just have to find it.  Here's nvidia's site.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780/specifications

Not familiar with that board but do your homework on your bios something may need to be shut off to up the multiplier, my ssd drive was one of the best purchases I made - just feels right and so quick - day and night performance - get one its amazing. Oh use it for your operating system waste if you don't  - I also have fsx on it.

Rich Sennett

You will not get a performance improvement - smoothness.. maybe..

I completely agree with Bert here

I run a 3930K @ 4.8ghz with Gskill 16gig @ 2400 and things were jumpy onthe HDD

Switching to the samsung 840 240gig SSD I still average 15-18 fps inthe NGX at Orbx YBBN but its vastly smooth and if I didn't check the fps counter i'd would have guessed I was getiing mid to high 20's!!

Cheers Josh Cliff