Sign in to follow this  
red259

Sids/Stars and Vox

I'm having a lot of difficulty setting up my flight plans. I never receive sids/star options from vox. On takeoff I am told to fly direct to the first waypoint. If I can just fly direct to the first waypoint then what is the purpose of using a sid?  I make a FP with FSC and then cut and paste it into EFB. Do I need to purchase navdata in order for vox to use sids/stars? I tried a flight from KLAX to KLAS today and I didn't get told the runway assignment until I was almost on top of it, which resulted in a missed approach. Are most people planning their runway landing before takeoff, or waiting until vox assigns a runway? I'm flying the 737 ngx and using rex for weather. 

@ I make a FP with FSC and then cut and paste it into EFB.

EFB can process FSC generated FPs. Perhaps the problem is copy/paste related.

@ Do I need to purchase navdata in order for vox to use sids/stars? You have to make sure that all 3 apps (EFB, FSC, Vox) are using the same cycle.

@ Are most people planning their runway landing before takeoff, or waiting until vox assigns a runway? Vox should assign a runway and (if apprpriate) a STAR.

Can you post the FSC generated FP?

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

PS

The reason I was asking for your FSC FP is that FPs have to be set up properly so a SID/STAR can be attached to it.

FSC sometimes needs a bit of editing. Since you have EFB you can do everything in EFB. Use RouteFinder. This gives the following FP for your flight:

KLAX (SID) DAG (STAR) KLAS

In fact DAG is the end of a SID and the beginning of a STAR.

I hope Vox can handle that. (Assuming rwy 25R on both ends that would probably be SEBBY7 and CRESO3)

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

PS

The reason I was asking for your FSC FP is that FPs have to be set up properly so a SID/STAR can be attached to it.

FSC sometimes needs a bit of editing. Since you have EFB you can do everything in EFB. Use RouteFinder. This gives the following FP for your flight:

KLAX (SID) DAG (STAR) KLAS

In fact DAG is the end of a SID and the beginning of a STAR.

I hope Vox can handle that. (Assuming rwy 25R on both ends that would probably be SEBBY7 and CRESO3)

On FSC I get KLAX BOILE J50 PDZ J60 CIVET J107 BLD KLAS.   When I use route finder through efb I get klax dag klas. I purchased a cycle of navdata and I notice vox now assigning me sids, although its a bit confusing because they assign me a sid going the opposite direction and then want me to vector on my own to the first flight point so i'm not sure the point of giving me a specific sid with no direct transitions. Trying to fly from montreal to kjfk I got a direction to fly kingston niner. I had no idea how to do that. I did an internet search and found a flight chart so I am assuming I need to punch in the waypoints on that approach plan (for example, ign to lolly to doore to lendy to lga to final). Is there an easier way? I need to try the flight again and see if they gave me a runway assignment at the time and then I could try to select the ign star in fmc to pull up this approach? The first time it happened I had no idea what they were talking about and I spent like five minutes trying to type kingston into the fmc. 

I used the creso3 star on a recent klas flight , although the vox atc was directing me off the path a bit, which I did not understand since the landing route laid out by my fmc seemed to be perfect.

"kingston niner" is IGN9 (It's all in EFB!)

No need to punch, your FMC's (same airac cycle?) DEP/ARR page will certainly display IGN9.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller