Sign in to follow this  
Airbus Commander

Virgin Australia & Qantas in Adelaide Incident

Ró,

What is the fuel burn of the A330-300? As far as I can remember it is something like 5.6 tonne an hour? What would be the 737-800 burn rate?

Daniel

It depends on a number of things, weight, atmospheric conditions, altitude, whether you're climbing, cruising, descending or holding.

In the case of holding, a rough figure for the -300 would be in and around 2,600-2,900 kg for 1/2 an hour.

For the 737CLs we used take a figure of 1,200kg per half hour, so I'd assume the NGs would be somewhere close to that, I'm not entirely sure of the exact fuel savings they brought about.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Thanks Ro,

I think it was the approximate value of the flight (total amount divided by flight trip time) on an A330-300 on CPA between YPPH and VHHH.

Regards

Daniel

Scary stuff:

http://avherald.com/h?article=46588ddb&opt=0

http://avherald.com/h?article=465890d1&opt=0

Being forced to chose between descending below MDA or running out of fuel must have made for one really stressful day in the office! :O

Regards,

Ró.

Just got a photo, the crew are receiving awards (Virgin Stars of the Year) by Sir Richard Branson at a ceremony in the UK.

Well done that crew and great recognition by their employer.

Sent from my Mobile thing

Indeed, very admirable to let the jet with less endurance go ahead of you even when you yourself are low. He deserves a commendation.

Regards,

Ró.

If I remember correctly there was some miscommunication, the Virgin jet actually had less fuel, but they thought they had more than the Qantas plane.