Sign in to follow this  
Bjoern

DDS Mass Texture Converter

Can you write the batch converter so it does not convert the night "L" textures.  I have been told those textures should not be converted.

\Robert Hamlich/

I'm not trying to mess with (much of) FSX' internals. It's more a means of putting huge amounts of textures from add-ons into a uniform format.

But why would you want to do that if there is a chance of causing problems and the performance wont be increased?

If a texture is supposed to be in .bmp format per the design of the addon, why would you want to change that? Not only that but mass texture converting isn't a good idea if you dont first go through all the textures and sort out all the DXT1's prior to making everything DXT3/5. Sometimes addon a/c and sceneries have DXT1 textures mixed in with DXT3/5's and you certainly dont want to up-convert DXT1's to DXT3/5's.

Dont get me wrong, sometimes developers do things by accident or not as well as they should be done, but for the most part the only things that need to be done with addons is adding mip-maps, alphas, or converting a 32bit textures to DXT5 or lower. Making textures that were ,bmp to .dds isn't going to help anything unless it should have been .dds in the first place due to developer design error.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Fair enough.

Can you write the batch converter so it does not convert the night "L" textures.  I have been told those textures should not be converted.

If you don't want to have them converted, just blacklist them.

But why would you want to do that if there is a chance of causing problems and the performance wont be increased?

Why did we go to the moon?

Because we could.

And as I've said, it was primarily an exercise in complex batch file programming. Use it or don't.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Okay I have done My Traffic, Addon scenery, and UK2000(lots of airports in there).

No problems thus far, I didn't measure performance before I did it, but nothing is (so far) broken.

We'll see if any additional stability problems pop up, I have backups of all the folders.

So I guess I can thus far conclude that your Batch file does not completely destroy everything it touches LOL.  Thank you.

Okay I have done My Traffic, Addon scenery, and UK2000(lots of airports in there).

No problems thus far, I didn't measure performance before I did it, but nothing is (so far) broken.

We'll see if any additional stability problems pop up, I have backups of all the folders.

So I guess I can thus far conclude that your Batch file does not completely destroy everything it touches LOL. Thank you.

Excellent, thanks for the feedback!

Some stuff used in this tool is also usable for a repaint installer. I'm not done with that one yet though.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days