Sign in to follow this  
roroma

Programming Language of FSX

Hello 

Would anyone happen to know the programming language of FSX and Microsoft Flight? I have practically no programming experience, but my best guess would be C or C++.

Just curious to know, and any responses would be appreciated. If anyone knows the language of any other modern simulators (well FSX is not too modern - 2006!) such as X-plane 10 a response for those sims would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ara M.

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

C++ has been the standard programming language for games for a long time.  C might still be in use as well.  And i believe visual C++ is also widespread.  Engines like Unreal, Source, or Frostbite may be coded with a lower level assembly language that works with Directx or OpenGL API's.  Not sure though.

The interface between FSX and the programming language is Microsofts simconnect.

Other than the mentioned languages you can use any .Net language such as C#. 

FSX is a DirectX game and so I'd be almost certain it uses C++ (if you ever read the SDK for DirectX you will notice that everything is written for C++).

Interesting to note that many of the cfg files for FSX are written in XML format.

XPlane uses OpenGL (I believe). Other languages can be used to write for OpenGL but again the most common would be C++

www.antsairplanes.com

Because of Flight Simulator's long history I understand there are still some items that were written in assembler as well as C.