Sign in to follow this  
Constantine

Choosing A System for the Future

I have been using Windows 7 64bits  8GB laptop to run my PMDG B747-4 Queen of the skies FS9  along with 8-10 Add-ons  Mega Airports as well as Weather  etc  and  in the future would like to obtain FSX and other Add-ons

I am now going to puirchase a Desktop computer with a graphic card, I am not a computer expert so I would appreciate your words of wisdom on particular specifications I should be looking for to give me the best performance, this will NOT be a custom made one, only manufacturer made product,  please could you advice on all specifications for example:

1.  memory bites

2.CPU

3. type of graphic card

4. Any other essential elements

Thank You very Much !

Richard (Nagoya)

If you would use the system only for FSX, you should get an faster processor, around 8gb ram, and a good GPU (Graphic card)

If you would use it for other games such as battlefield 3, 4 later these options are fine for you.

I would go for:

Cpu: Intel i5 or i7, depends on your budget. If you want to overclock you should go for the K series (Ie i5 2500k) and some cooling on it other than the stock cooler.

Ram: 12GB.

GPU: Gtx670.

Motherboard: ??, imo it doesnt really matter as long as it has some pci-e slots, and some nice features such as usb3, eSata. This all depends on your budget again. Personally i use a H61-M US by asrock an it works perfectly fine for me.

HDD: I would go for an 750 HDD, and an nice SSD of around 128gb. To install your windows on and maybe even FSX. Ssd's are alot faster than hdd's

Also you should say an budget here as it's easier for us to tell you what would be good. Also telling where you would use it for would be useful aswell :3

There are plenty of sites where you can customize your PC desktop and they will build it for you.

Weecow 

Thank you so much will take your good advice and words on board, 

Thank You

Richard (Nagoya)

Hello Weecow,  I don't wish to milk this too much but you should remember to sign your full name in the forum posts..  Richard Welsh.

CPU: i5 4670k or 3570k

RAM: Fastest 8gb that you can afford, with low CAS latency.

Graphics: At least an Nvidia 660. Stay away from AMD cards, since they do not run FSX well.

Hard Drive: SSD's are nice, but can be hard to find in pre built systems, and can blow a budget very easily.

Even with a 3570k or 4670k if you're going to load 3rd party airports and other add-ons, as well as weather, to the sim you're really going to have to over clock the nuts off those processors, most people say at east 4ghz minimum - even though they are blisteringly fast already - to get a respectable frame rate of 30+.

Michael Hamilton

Many Thanks one and all for the great support, living here in Japan I have all the technology, but non of the right know-how questions, so there are a lot of common themes here relating to an appropriate system, thank you all so much will take all advice on board and enter flight sim heaven !

Much appreciated, great support !

Richard (Nagoya)