Sign in to follow this  
http404

NGX Goes Off Course With 90 degree left turns!

Hello everyone,

Has anyone encountered some weird behaviour while flying into oceanic airspace with no NAVAIDs available, using LNAV/VNAV, where the NGX suddenly changes heading with a 90 degree left turn (or even a right turn)?

I thought that this was something that could happen while flying close to the north pole as FSX doesn't handle that area well.

Today, while doing a FSIA -> OMDB leg, flying north for the major part of the leg, I noticed that VATTASTIC was showing me as flying heading west, I rushed to check the sim in the room just to find myself heading to Africa.

After turning right back on course using HDG and intercepting the course and going on LNAV again. same thing happened after a while, 3 times!

Is this a bug with the NGX, or just with FSX especially while crossing the Equator?

There's no bug of this nature that I know of, which is not all inclusive. If this is happening while you are out of room how do you know it is making a 90-deg turn and not the result of a wide shallow turn? Maybe something is tripping LNAV such as a route disconnect? Try catching it in the act.

Dan Downs KCRP

I think it is an FSX glitch. There were no discontinuities, and i caught the act on my other laptop on VATTASTIC by chance, and the simulator was a few meters away in the bedroom, the aircraft was in a sharp turn and stopped turning after completing a sharp 90 degree left turn. It never happened again though.

Thanks for you reply.

Using any external hardware with a heading select feature?

Heading knob (+/-) is assigned to a switch on the Saitek yoke. But not the HDG SEL button. 

Is it always a 90 degree turn, and always to the left?

If it's always to the left, is the selected heading (regardless of being in LNAV) always to the left?

Additionally, do you have wake turbulence active in ActiveSky or similar?  Sometimes, while on VATSIM, your own position gets ghosted on top of your own position due to pilot client errors (more with FSInn than SB, but both happen).  When that happens, the "other" aircraft creates a wake, which could knock you off of LNAV.

Kyle Rodgers

Sometimes, while on VATSIM, your own position gets ghosted on top of your own position due to pilot client errors (more with FSInn than SB, but both happen).  When that happens, the "other" aircraft creates a wake, which could knock you off of LNAV.

I was able to fix this by going into FSInn Settings>Network>Peer to Peer and check "Disable Peer to Peer Automatic Establishing." That should work!

Ok, thanks guys. Will try disabling the "Peer to Peer Automatic Establishing".

Anyway, this only happened during one flight of all NGX flights I made online in the past 18 months, so no big deal.

Cheers,