Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Mooney 'Barber's Pole' is too low ....

I have made a copy of my Mooney Bravo and 'converted' this into a (kind of) Mooney Acclaim by editing various parameters in the aircraft.cfg file. It is now pretty powerful and good for flying in the Himalayas and so forth. I don't get overspeed warnings when flying at 290KIAS, but the barber's pole on the airpseed indicator is still set at about 196 KIAS and nothing I do changes it. I am using the KingAir airspeed gauge BTW (can anyone suggest a better one?), as the original Mooney Bravo gauge was obviously inappropriate. The KingAir 350 itself does not have the pole set in this position, so I can't make out what setting is creating this.

Can anyone help? It's only a cosmetic thing, but it'd be good to know. Is it set in the gauge file? Thanks...

My aircraft.cfg now has these entries:

[General]
atc_type=Mooney
atc_model=Acclaim Type S Turbo
editable=1
performance="Maximum Speed\t\n295 kts            
Category = airplane

[GeneralEngineData]
engine_type=0
Engine.0=9.2500,0.00,0.00
fuel_flow_scalar=0.700
min_throttle_limit=0.00

[piston_engine]
cylinder_displacement=137.4132627
compression_ratio=6.00
number_of_cylinders=12
max_rated_rpm=3000.00
max_rated_hp=1735.00
fuel_metering_type=0
cooling_type=1
normalized_starter_torque=0.0350
turbocharged=1
max_design_mp=66.0
min_design_mp=1.00
critical_altitude=34000.00
emergency_boost_type=3
emergency_boost_mp_offset=10.00
emergency_boost_gain_offset=0.6500
fuel_air_auto_mixture=0
auto_ignition=0
max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.100
idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.00
max_rpm_friction_scalar=1.00
idle_rpm_friction_scalar=0.800

[propeller]
thrust_scalar=1.0
propeller_type=0
propeller_diameter=11.300
propeller_blades=4
propeller_moi=65.00
beta_max=65.00
beta_min=20.00
min_gov_rpm=1700.00
prop_tc=0.100
gear_reduction_ratio=2.0800
fixed_pitch_beta=0.00
low_speed_theory_limit=80.00
prop_sync_available=0
prop_deice_available=0
prop_feathering_available=0
prop_auto_feathering_available=0
min_rpm_for_feather=0.00
beta_feather=0.00
power_absorbed_cf=0.00
defeathering_accumulators_available=0
prop_reverse_available=0
minimum_on_ground_beta=0.00
minimum_reverse_beta=0.00

[Reference Speeds] (knots)
flaps_up_stall_speed=65.000000
full_flaps_stall_speed=52.000000
cruise_speed=295.566262
max_indicated_speed=300.000000

I thought this was working, but having rebooted, I am getting the overspeed alert, as for the Bravo. I can stop the alert sound in the sound.cfg file, but that's not a proper solution: I still get the red overspeed alert on the screen.

Any ideas how I adjust this in the cfg file, or is it coded into the model? I already edited the Vmo value in the air file...

The barber pole position is coded into the gauge. The aircraft.cfg settings will not alter it. You need a product like the Reality XP gauges which enable you to customise those settings.

Graeme Butler

An Acclaim won't do 290 KIAS!

David Porrett

An Acclaim won't do 290 KIAS! ....

No. It won't stop in mid-air when you press the 'P' key either... A real Acclaim will do about 450 km/hr. I guess that's around 245 knots. Pushing 280 miles per hour.

I got the a/c to work just fine, though it was a bit trial and error. I am not even sure now how I did it. I'll now adjust things so that the FS9 Acclaim performance matches more closely the real aircraft. I don't want to shock anybody! :O

Martin 

I'm just wondering where you get 290 KIAS from? If you are wanting to mimic the actual aircraft (minus the 'P' key), the maximum IAS is indeed 194 KIAS, however the maximum TAS at altitude can go as high as 242 KTAS.

However, I have never flown an Acclaim, but I do own an M20M TLS/Bravo so I do have a little insight into the actual airframe.

David Porrett

I don't remember to be honest - from an FSX remodelling of the Bravo, I think. I just used it as a figure so as I could clearly see the difference between the Bravo, I used as a base, and the Acclaim that I was trying to create. As I say, I can adjust the performance back down a tad now, to make it more realistic...

Thanks,

M.

In actual fact, there isn't a lot of difference between the Bravo and Accliam - if I recall the Acclaim engine is "suped" up a bit to 300hp (vs 270 hp) and is double supercharged. Anecdotally though, it is claimed that a lot of the speed increase is due to remodelling of the engine cowling. Mooney worked wonders with aerodynamics ....

David Porrett