Sign in to follow this  
Russ K

FSX won't reinstall in Windows 8

I installed FSX and it worked. I had an issue with Outlook 2013 and iCloud. It locked up my Outlook so it didn't work and I couldn't even uninstall it. I did a "Restore to factory settings" on the computer. Now when I try to reinstall FSX when it reaches near the end of disk 2 it stops and says there's an error with the windows installer. Any suggestions?

Russ,

I'm not sure what to say to help, but, I had installed FSX on my new computer, with WIN8, then after a couple of months I decided to uninstall FSX and do a fresh install. Well, I couldn't uninstall it, and it gave me an error similar to what your error was (something to do with the windows installer). I tried and tried. What I ended up doing was "Restore to Factory Default". Same problem as you had. I restored to factory default once more, and then FSX installed with no problems. Something strange about WIN8 I guess. However, I like WIN8 so far, and I've had my new computer since Jan of this year.

Hope you get figured out.

Rod

Rod Beck

I had to reinstall my FSX\Gold...Guided th einstaller to a folder I created in my C:\ But it installed into program files (X86); After it finnished installtion of Disc 2 Windows began to configure for like a half an hour, before I was able to put in my Acceleration disc, guided that too to where FSX got installed.

I don't understand how or why it could do this?i HAVE CONTINUED WITH THE INSTALL OF ADDONS AND HAVE NOT RUN INTO ANY PERMISSION PROBLEMS.

Berlopez

I might add that this reformatted HD has never seen an FSX instaltation? Again I ma experiencing i can't take screen shots using the "V" key?

Couldn't edit my previous post, sorry berlopez

I couldn't edit my previous post. Sorry.

I ordered the Gold edition from Amazon this morning in hopes that it will install.

Hi Russ; there is no reason why it shouldn't. Guide your installer to your C:\ create a new folder call it what you want FSX; FSX/Gold or whatever... This way you will avaoid permission problems, be careful though! In my latest install I guided it to that /My created folder ( I must admit I mighthave done a mistake and it installed into Program\Files (x86) Surely I must have done something wrong, but so far I haven't had any problems and hope to continue this way.

berlopez

Make sure the DVD is clean.

What's the error you're getting?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

...Also you may try to turn UAC off while installing it.And try to get FULL CONTROL Of your FSX Folder.

berlopez

As disk 2 was finishing it stopped and I got this: "Error 1772. There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program run as a part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor". Then shortly after I get: "Error 1603. Fatal error during installation. Consult windows installer help (msi.chm) or MSDN for more information". I tried windows installer help and MSDN but no help.

Berlopez - I created a folder on C: named FSX and tried installing FSX but it still wouldn't install. Hopefully upgrading to the Gold edition will help.

Russ

This may sound odd but I had the same issue re-installing FSX on widows 8 lately. The discs looked pristine but required me to clean the disc really good before it would install without error.

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

Received my Gold edition this afternoon. Same installation error. Disappointing.

Restoring the computer to factory settings and returning it to Best Buy. Microsoft can stick Windows 8 where the sun don't shine. And Office 2013 too as far as that goes.

Error 1603: A Fatal Error Occurred During Installation

Your Windows system may display Error 1603 when you are trying to install a Microsoft Windows Installer Package. There are mainly three conditions when Error 1603 can occur, which are as mentioned below.

• First is that the folder, in which you are trying to install the Windows Installer Package is encrypted and the installer is not in a position to access. This is one of the causes of Error 1603.
  • The second possibility is that the drive, on which this folder is located, is accessible as a substitute drive.
  • And the last possibility is that the system is not having full control to the system that you are trying to install the Windows Installer Package.
  • all of which is telling you that either you or the installer is not set up as an administrator and that Windows 8 is not allowing certain files to be written into certain folders.

Error 1772 occurs as a result of the failed installation.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Error-1772---What-Does-This-Error-Mean-And-Can-It-Be-Fixed?&id=5220186

The ways to prevent this have already been posted in this topic.

There is also an outside chance that either your DVD player is defective or that some pre-installed software is preventing it from reading disc two.

Regards,

Nick

I'm the only user on my computer and am the admin. I've tried the above. I read the ezine article and installed and ran a registry cleaner as it suggested. Still no joy. Returning this computer to Best Buy and will try one from my local computer store that has Windows 7.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, Russ