Sign in to follow this  
KelB

Fatal error with DX10

I have tried DX10 following your settings and instructions several times but have always come across some problem which has caused me to go back to DX9.

Last time I tried was with version 3.2.1 so I decided to have a go with version 3.2.2 to see if things have improved. I really like the VC shadow effect, the water and the general lighting effects in DX10 so I would really like to use it.

I followed your instructions and settings very carefully and all was well until I tried one of my favourite airports – ES St Mary’s on the Scilly Isles. As soon as I try to take off, a short way up the runway, I get a message box saying that there had been a fatal error and FSX has to restart. This always happens regardless of the aircraft selected and never happens with DX9.

Any ideas?

For the moment it is back to DX9 again for me.

Did you try disabling St. Mary's?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Did you try disabling St. Mary's?

I don't understand what you mean. I want to use St Mary's. Ohter airfields I have tried work fine.

Regards

Kelvin

OK, then: Is this a default airfield? Is it an addon airfield? Did it work with 3.2.1?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Nick

This is the airfield on the Scilly Isles scenery by Earth Simulations. Earth Simulations do payware scenery for the Channel islands of Guensey and Alderney, the Isle of Man and the Scilly Isles around the. This scenery is similar to and compatible with OrbX FTX scenery but is actually more detailed and very accurate. I use this scenery a lot.

When I tried 3.2.1 I had another problem regarding the rendering of vegetation which is now fixed. Due to that problem I never actually tried taking off from the airfield so I suspect the problem also existed then.

Regards

Kelvin

Yeah.. I also remember reading a couple of other posts some months back about these islands (the Channel Islands, specifically), and I think the only answer I can give you is "wait for Steve's Fixer", unless someone else can shed light on it.

I've flown out of St Marys quite a bit recently in the new Twotter without any problems.

I'm still using the 3.2.1 patch at the moment, haven't tried it with 3.2.2 though.

Dave Garwood.

Thanks guys.

I will look out for Steves Fixer program.

Regards

Kelvin

Just thought I would let you know I have solved it and am back to using DX10.

It seems to be a problem with the force-feedback application FS-Force.

I have been setting the affinity for PlanG, TrackIR and FS-Force to use processors not used by FSX to give it maximum processing power.

When I switch FS-Force back to using all/any processors then the fault disappears.

Strange that it works fine with DX9???

Regards

Kelvin

I have a similar issue! I've had DX10 with the mods setup for quite a while now and it all worked great, except on my system performance wasn't as good as DX9 (Which I use mainly because of that) Periodically I would switch with no issues, until yesterday. Now with DX10 set I get the FSX title screen up for a couple of minutes, then it just exits. No error, nothing in the event viewer that I cold find, it just quits. DX9 works fine though. The only thing that s done since the lat time it worked, was I installed another program (Not related to FS) which installed the latest DirectX version. I'm running VISTA 32bit (Don't ask!!:lol:) so maybe there is an issue there, but I've had no other problems with VISTA. (With UAC turned off). Since there is no error, I don't know where to look. I dread a reinstall, especially since I use DX9 which is working fine, but do like the option of using DX10 in some cases.  I've tried the following

rebuilt FSX.cfg file

installed new latest GeForce drivers (Then backed then off when I read about others having serious problems with them - 3.20 series)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Do you have SweetFX installed, Tom?

Do you have SweetFX installed, Tom?

No but I do use Shade!! Never had an issue with it in DX10 before. I tried running without it and FSX still won't load. At least if it gave me an error, it could point me where to look!! I guess , I'll have to try and go back and reinstall the original shaders and resetup the mod. Trouble is I also use Bojote's Shader 3 mod for DX9, and for whatever reason I didn't back that up (I thought I did as I usually do when making mods like this) So I'll have to reset that up as well. I just wonder if it's worth the effort, since DX9 works perfectly (For my system)? I wanted to try new capture software, both for streaming and offline videos for youtube, called Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) as it has features that my current capture software (GameCam) doesn't have, like dual audio source support. It's freeware currently in Beta, but I can't get it to work in FSX with DX9 in full screen mode only windowed, which doesn't perform as well. So I wanted to try it with DX10, (OBS is suppose to support both) 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d