Sign in to follow this  
HugoStiglitz

I'm switching to X-Plane 10!

Several years ago, I almost completely lost interest in flightsim, occasionally starting up FSX and trying X-Plane in several forms.  X-Plane seemed like a foreign language in the 7, 8, and 9 versions, but I decided to try 10 and, while it was familiarly complex, I became drawn to it because of the constant updates (beta), the better and better look and feel, and the 64 bit work - all of which have improved the program.  I have found myself feeling the excitement (hard to do for an old man) of "flying" again.  I think I have tried them all and, while none are "perfect", I have gained a respect for X-Plane which I have not been able to regain for the others.

I do not want to buy bigger and better computers and video cards, but have found that X-Plane flies very well with moderate equipment, if tuned properly.  With the 64 bit, there is no CTD.  While there are many complaints regarding scenery, we have been promised improvements in that area soon and, with WED, I can make my airport look like my airport (approximately).

For years, I "flew" with a joystick but now "fly" with yoke, throttle quadrant, and pedals and have never been more "into" a simulator.

Things may improve in other simulators, but I have seen improvement in X-Plane and expect to see more in the future.

Whatever platform you choose, I wish you the best.  You have to be happy with your choice and I have found mine.

John 

John Wingold

Thought I'd test this out and did a search for my home airport (KMSP).  I found nothing.  If a decent rendition of a major airport like KMSP isn't available that says allot about XPlane.  In contrast FS9 has every major airport in the world rendered the only exception being Auckland Intl.  FSX runs a close second.  X-Plane has along way to go with areas of the world depicted correctly not to mention fixing that weird looking horizon.

Dillon,

You are correct, There is no KMSP airport scenery available for X-plane at the moment.(at least not that I can find). However, it would take about 5 mins to convert your FS9 version to XP10 (I think Bluesky made scenery for this airport).  I had this scenery for FS9 and still have it on an archived DVD of my old purchases, I tried to convert it just to give you an idea what it would look like in XP10, but the installer is so old it says it cant install on Vista or Win 7, (Im using Win 8)

However, There are tons of freeware airports coming out each month, so eventually someone will create a version either as payware of freeware.

There is nothing wrong with sticking with FS9, It was a great sim and in many ways, It has better performance than FSX. Its always good to keep an eye on other sims as well. As someone, who has tried everything out there, I found that FS9, FSX/P3d and XP10 all bring something different to the table and are marvels of programing from my view. All have their strenghts and weaknesses.

There are plenty of things that annoy me with XP10, but in the long run, it fits my personal requirements the best, which is why its the only one I have installed right now. That can always change if something new comes out down the road, but I don't think it will ever happen from Microsoft. There is not enough money to made in this hobby for them and like it or not, we are a small group of hobbyists. Even though we are known to spend money like crazy to get our flight sims to look great, we are still very low in numbers. At least in comparison to the World of Warcraft or Halo crowd. That seems to be where the money is and even that's slowing off..  

Rob

FS9 has every major airport in the world rendered the only exception being Auckland Intl.  FSX runs a close second.  X-Plane has along way to go with areas of the world depicted correctly not to mention fixing that weird looking horizon.

I spent thousands on FS9 addons but after buying XP10 and P3D, I felt like killing myself or hanging out with my mother n law for a weekend :lol:  :P   I'm sorry but it's 2013 and FS9 looks like dog poop compared to P3D or XP10.  I really can't boot up FS9 anymore after trying better sims and that FS9 vibrating/pulsating water graphic issue is very annoying, even with Zinertek Payware.  Also the road systems and ground textures are no match for what we have today:  P3D, XP10, DCS, Rise of Flight, FLIGHT, etc. etc.

XP10 is being supported by many devs:  Aerosoft, Tropical Sim, PMDG, etc.  P3D/FSX is also looking good with FTX Global around the corner.

Austin Meyer and the Laminar Development team have long suggested that the piloting community take ownership by contributing one or more airports to a general community download area, and thus build out the airports across the world little by little.  What bugged me about FSX airports (the default ones, not the payware ones) is that they all look about the same from one airport to another.  Yes, it's probably nicer to have the same red brick buildings at every airport you go to in lieu of NO buildings, but the truth is, it's not THAT hard to build an airport with the WED editing software (free from Laminar) if you are so inclined.  I have a LOT of free/pay airports I've gotten from one source or another on the web, the X-Plane org site being one of the main sources.

What's really great about the 'child' (X-Plane 10) is that it's a collaborative effort between Laminar itself and some of the 3PD (3rd party developers) and it can only get better and better.  Once they release 10.3x version, I think you'll see a pretty significant improvement.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

European Scenery X plane the way to go, and if USA FSX is the way to go. Prefer the X plane model for scenery setup[ its easier to create things than in fsx with its dysfunctional file structure.  Downloads Belgium and Netherlands, Germany photo-scenery 16 Lod hope someone does it for the USA as there are no blurries at all 

Im actually going to buy that card. Do you use HDR? What about plane addons? And do you think i will see an improvement from my HD 6870?

Mate, don't go near the 680. The 770 offers 5 to 15% more power and cost £100 less 

Austin Meyer and the Laminar Development team have long suggested that the piloting community take ownership by contributing one or more airports to a general community download area, and thus build out the airports across the world little by little.

This is actually exactly what I've started doing over the past week. It really is quite easy to roll-out decent 'plausible' airports using WED once you learn the basics.

I'm currently working on YMML and will be submitting it to LR once it's complete. I'll most likely then continue working on other major Australian airports as I feel this side of the world needs a bit of representation in X-Plane, I might leave out YSSY and YPAD though as Chris K has already covered these with his fantastic sceneries.

It is strangely addictive and have actually found myself working on airports more rather than actually flying!

Then the next most common thing you will be doing will be taxiing, just to see your creation from the ground.   Third will be landings so you can see the airport on approach.

General flying wont happen :)

Then the next most common thing you will be doing will be taxiing, just to see your creation from the ground.   Third will be landings so you can see the airport on approach.

General flying wont happen :)

LOL!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I normally load an aircraft then go free camera view mode so I can pan around the taxiways to check my layout, this seems to work well. For landings I do a short flight in something like the 777 and then land at the incomplete airport to check everything looks OK. Killed two birds with one stone there as it allowed me to also test out the R&P 777-300ER v1.5.1 and my airport layout.

I guess another way around the lack of flying would be to do a long-haul flight in the 777 and work on WED in the background while in cruise.

I normally load an aircraft then go free camera view mode so I can pan around the taxiways to check my layout, this seems to work well. For landings I do a short flight in something like the 777 and then land at the incomplete airport to check everything looks OK. Killed two birds with one stone there as it allowed me to also test out the R&P 777-300ER v1.5.1 and my airport layout.

I guess another way around the lack of flying would be to do a long-haul flight in the 777 and work on WED in the background while in cruise.

Be careful, you may fly right through your flight plan into Area 51 airspace.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Do you have SASL 2.0 installed ?

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=148591

It seems to be working with the Centurion !

I'll give it a try thanks

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Be careful, you may fly right through your flight plan into Area 51 airspace.

LOL! I'll keep that in mind for next time!

Mate, don't go near the 680. The 770 offers 5 to 15% more power and cost £100 less 

How much Vram does the 770 have?

My 680 has 4GB and is a perfect match for XP10!

Anyway whatever you buy 6 months later it's obsolete LOL.  :lol:

How much Vram does the 770 have?

My 680 has 4GB and is a perfect match for XP10!

Anyway whatever you buy 6 months later it's obsolete LOL.  :lol:

Unless you have the GTX 680 Titan with 6GB of VRam!

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg