Sign in to follow this  
KSATRoadWarrior

US drops unarmed bombs on Great Barrier Reef

It sounds bad but really it isn't in my POV. They were training bombs so just the metal casing and yes they were dropped inside the marine park area but not in a sensitive part of the park. The biggest damage will be the PR campaign for the US Navy. Either the bomb is dropped or the plane is ditched. I choose bomb.

Many people will read too much into this but those bombs are not much different in size to a boat anchor. The US Navy was invited there and was training with Australia.

Matthew Kane

OH THE HORROR!!!!  

Comeon.  This is barely even local newsworthy...much less some type of international incident.  If it's that big of deal though, they'll just go and recover them.

Ignorant folks such as Australian Sen. Larissa Waters really should think more carefully before broadcasting their vacuuous thoughts to the public.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This marine park covers 345,400 km² of coast line so obviously not much chance of avoiding it given the circumstance. They were told where to drop and in an area that is not a sensitive area with coral reefs.

Like I said these 'bombs' are about the size of a boat anchor so them setting down on the ocean floor is no different then dropping an anchor from a boat, and they dropped them in an area away from any reefs. People are just going to make more out of this then it really is.

Matthew Kane

Commenting on communist ideology tends to get me in trouble so I'm stopping here.

Well there was the time the United States dropped an atomic Bomb over the St Lawrence river in Quebec:

November 10, 1950 – Rivière-du-Loup, Québec, Canada – Non-nuclear detonation of an atomic bomb
Returning one of several U.S. Mark 4 nuclear bombs secretly deployed in Canada, a USAF B-50 had engine trouble and jettisoned the weapon at 10,500 feet (3,200 m). The crew set the bomb to self-destruct at 2,500 ft (760 m) and dropped over the St. Lawrence River. The explosion shook area residents and scattered nearly 100 pounds (45 kg) of uranium (U-238) used in the weapon's tamper. The plutonium core ("pit") was not in the bomb at the time.

At the time it was called 'Lightning' as the bomb did smash windows of area residence and caused property damage. It wasn't until the 1980's that this was declassified. This is one of a few Broken Arrow incidents around this time, another Broken Arrow occurred in British Columbia:

February 13, 1950 – British Columbia, Canada – 1950 British Columbia B-36 crash—non-nuclear detonation of a simulated atomic bomb
A USAF B-36 bomber, AF Ser. No. 44-92075, was flying a simulated combat mission from Eielson Air Force Base, near Fairbanks, Alaska, to Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, Texas, carrying one weapon containing a dummy warhead. The warhead contained uranium instead of plutonium. After six hours of flight, the bomber experienced mechanical problems and was forced to shut down three of its six engines at an altitude of 12,000 feet (3,700 m). Fearing that severe weather and icing would jeopardize a safe emergency landing, the weapon was jettisoned over the Pacific Ocean from a height of 8,000 ft (2,400 m). The weapon's high explosives detonated upon impact. All of the sixteen crew members and one passenger were able to parachute from the plane and twelve were subsequently rescued from Princess Royal Island. The Pentagon's summary report does not mention if the weapon was later recovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_nuclear_accidents

Matthew Kane

I wouldn't be surprised if Nancy Pelosi or Barbara Boxer doesn't attempt some stupid legislation banning training exercises. This Australian woman could fit in nicely with these two. I guess every village has to have an idiot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nancy Pelosi or Barbara Boxer doesn't attempt some stupid legislation banning training exercises. This Australian woman could fit in nicely with these two. I guess every village has to have an idiot.

And I will supoort them! One small portion of a reef is far more important than any bombing exercise on this world. War mongers.

This is an "aviation" situation NOT political. Just to keep the facts straights, no portion of the reef was damaged (according to reports - I didn't inspect it personally)......... :rolleyes:

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

And I will supoort them! One small portion of a reef is far more important than any bombing exercise on this world. War mongers.

I suspect that more than one of these war mongers has died for your freedom. Read the reports a bit closer. No damage was done.

Ignorant folks such as Australian Sen. Larissa Waters really should think more carefully before broadcasting their vacuuous thoughts to the public.

It's inappropriately harsh to dismiss this women as "ignorant" just on the basis of this matter, and her views on it.She is a representative of the Australian senate, and as this incident happened in her country, as the result of a military accident by another nation, I would say she in entitled to her view, and it's neither vacuous nor unreasonable in my view.

What does come across from reading the above posts is that the angriest people, firing off the harshest views are those from the US.....

If this incident is as benign and meaningless as is being suggested, then why the defensiveness?

You make it seem like the plan all along was to drop bombs on the reef... it wasn't. Give the actual situation the alternatives are:

1) have a 2 planes crash into a reef which would endanger the pilots and anything in the vicinity of a jet crashing into the water (cause the reef much more damage then some dummy bombs)

2) have 2 planes attempt a dangerous landing which would again endanger the pilots and the crew of whatever vessel they are landing on. 

The lack of common-sense here is really starting to worry me. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

She is a representative of the Australian senate, and as this incident happened in her country, as the result of a military accident by another nation, I would say she in entitled to her view, and it's neither vacuous nor unreasonable in my view

Completely agree.

While the end result may be negligible she has every right to express her view and should not be labelled as ignorant.

I wonder if posters would be off the same opinion if the Australian Airforce dropped "dummy" bombs on say Old Faithful in Yellowstone.

Ian R Tyldesley