Sign in to follow this  
Popcorn

Why am I getting such bad fps?

I actually have a very good computer too, so I don't see the problem. One of the weird things that happens is that it often starts off at 30fps without any problems and as I progress through a flight it keeps dropping until it reaches like 10fps. Also I think it's probably because of the aircraft that I use, for example last time I tried loading up the CLS A340-600 and even if I lowered all my display settings down it would just stay at 10-15fps.

Another problem I'm having is that I really don't have a lot of autogen and scenery. Both are set to extremely dense but it's still nearly nothing. And again, dropping the autogen to even the lowest doesn't increase my fps. Only changing the aircraft.

The addons I use are GEX, UTX, REX and a lot of airports by Aerosoft and UK2000.

Specs 

i5-3570k overclocked to 4.2ghz

XFX 7950

8GB RAM

Windows 7 64bit

It's really annoying, especially since some videos on youtube with people of the same specs as me run everything fine and it looks better too

One problem I had was flying over water with the NGX tutorial 1 from EGKK to EHAM. Approaching EHAM the frames would drop in half. This turned out to be because of a water effect I had (can't remember exactly what it was).

Does this happen with you near water?

Is your computer running a scheduled virus scan in the background? Not set to silly time like every hour is it?

One problem I had was flying over water with the NGX tutorial 1 from EGKK to EHAM. Approaching EHAM the frames would drop in half. This turned out to be because of a water effect I had (can't remember exactly what it was).

Does this happen with you near water?

Is your computer running a scheduled virus scan in the background? Not set to silly time like every hour is it?

Nah, it happens anywhere. And it drops gradually as well. And like I said turning down any of the settings doesn't even help..

FSX SP1 installed?

FSX SP2 installed?

FSX Acceleration installed?

The basic tweaks of the FSX.cfg been made?

Is your CPU set to throttle down under heavy loads?

FSX SP1 installed?

FSX SP2 installed?

FSX Acceleration installed?

The basic tweaks of the FSX.cfg been made?

Is your CPU set to throttle down under heavy loads?

All of those are a yes except the last one which is a no

"It's really annoying, especially since some videos on youtube with people of the same specs as me run everything fine and it looks better too"

Please do not compare your FSX with these vids on Youtube, they are edited with all kinds of tricks to make it look good and smooth!

Heck, I´ve seen one of them posters having a Q6600 with a GFX285 and some good ol´ DDR2 Ram, he maybe enjoying himself making all those vids, and looking at them afterwards, because his rig is just outdated.

Do like this: Be modest with your FSX settings, get some assistance in setting up FSX and your OS.

Ok I've found out the problem was some FPS limiter someone advised me to use which would increase fps but instead it just made it worse. I've stopped using that and now it's smooth 30fps all the time.

However I still have the autogen problem. Scenery is set to extremely dense and so it autogen, but it's empty.

Picture - http://oi44.tinypic.com/2vs19u9.jpg

@Popcorn: 

Empty, where? Looks OK to me, and BTW why extreme everything, turn it down, get in your airplane and try some flying, it´s a simulator you know, not some fancy virtual sightseeing machine, but others will of course disagree with me, I know.

:unsure:

Autogen does drop out at a certain altitude. Fly real close to the ground.

but others will of course disagree with me, I know.

Yep.

Popcorn, you mention FPS change when changing aircraft, this might be a good place to look also

Best, Michael

KDFW