Sign in to follow this  
HighTowers

747 Red Speedbar Error on Takeoff

This is driving me nuts. Im getting this red speedbar a couple seconds after VR. TOGA sets, Throttle hold annunciates after 80kts, no engine failures, and just after rotating it happens. Recall is clean, checklists completed (3x over to make sure, ugh)

Ive been trying to troubleshoot this and cant for the life of me figure it out. Ive attached 2 jpgs, one before takeoff, 2nd one is just after rotation. 

If I keep flying under the circumstances, VNAV will disconnect soon after and reset the speed bug to 100. So I continue flying under SPD, and V/S however it still presents speed problems. Its as if its a overspeed red bar or the stall speed bar all the way up. 

Ive turned the FMC "inside out" with details, and all seems in order. No problem with flights before. NGX, and MD11 work fine. Ive reinstalled it (Boxed CD version) and insured its the current which is 2.1 May 27/08 as per aircraft.cfg

Ive also tried different flightplans, different load configs, TO configs, Flaps 10 and 20, and freighter and pax versions.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Dave,

Thinking on this this morning whilst out walking. I cannot imagine what's happening.

V2 set at 151kts. IAS/MACH set at 161kts. Already accelerating fairly hard at 164+kts, and a flaps5 indicated at 185kts.

I would love to see what happens as you climb further to see whether there is an end to the red line.

Interested in what others come up with.

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Ive also tried different flightplans, different load configs, TO configs, Flaps 10 and 20, and freighter and pax versions.

Check to ensure your FMC isn't set to look for values in KGs while you're giving it values in LBS.

I'm about 95% sure that's your issue.  If you feed it LBS when it's looking for KGs, it's assuming you're super heavy, and the speed tape values are adjusted unrealistically.

Kyle Rodgers

Dave,

Thinking on this this morning whilst out walking. I cannot imagine what's happening.

V2 set at 151kts. IAS/MACH set at 161kts. Already accelerating fairly hard at 164+kts, and a flaps5 indicated at 185kts.

I would love to see what happens as you climb further to see whether there is an end to the red line.

Interested in what others come up with.

Cheers, Richard

Thanks for reply. I set 161 playing around with different speeds just to see if any differences. There is no end to the red line. I successfully completed the flight, all the while self managing the speeds. Red line remains at cruise FL.

Check to ensure your FMC isn't set to look for values in KGs while you're giving it values in LBS.

I'm about 95% sure that's your issue.  If you feed it LBS when it's looking for KGs, it's assuming you're super heavy, and the speed tape values are adjusted unrealistically.

Thanks for reply. I was hoping that was it, but figured it wasnt because I completed a flight and the fuel was right on as predicted. If it was super heavy in kgs, this would be way off not to mention a very difficult time to climb. For the sake of it, I did check the pmdg options menu and it is indeed in lbs. You mention to look at the FMC for the setting, but I dont see any menu options for such. I assume you mean the pmdg options at the FSX menu bar. 

CYVR LSZH 

If it was super heavy in kgs, this would be way off not to mention a very difficult time to climb.

Not really - remember, we're not dealing with the physical state of the aircraft, we're dealing with the theoretical state you've told it to assume.  The plane isn't actually heavy, you just told the FMC that it is.  As such, it would still climb just fine because the actual weight is X, but you've told it to assume X * 2.2 (so, over twice as heavy as it actually is.)

For the sake of it, I did check the pmdg options menu and it is indeed in lbs.

Okay.  The what about the opposite.  The system is set to pounds, but you gave it kg.  Granted, it's the opposite case, but messing up weights will throw the automation off, while the aircraft's performance remains just fine.

You mention to look at the FMC for the setting, but I dont see any menu options for such. I assume you mean the pmdg options at the FSX menu bar. 

I said "[c]heck to ensure your FMC isn't set to look for values in KGs while you're giving it values in LBS."  That doesn't mean look for the setting in the FMC, rather look for the setting for the FMC, which - as you assumed - is in PMDG options in the menus.

Based on your screenshots, I honestly believe this is an incorrect weight entry.  Either by setting one unit and typing another, or just incorrectly entering the weight (regardless of unit.)

Kyle Rodgers

Based on your screenshots, I honestly believe this is an incorrect weight entry.  Either by setting one unit and typing another, or just incorrectly entering the weight (regardless of unit.)

Dont know what else to tell you. Im using  the PMDG 747 load manager, and there is a drop down option for lbs and kgs and its set for lbs, upon which I send it to fsx, and confirm it in the FMC. Not to mention the lbs setting in the options menu. 

Last test flight was with 589721LBS  ZFW

CYVR LSZH 

Dont know what else to tell you. Im using  the PMDG 747 load manager, and there is a drop down option for lbs and kgs and its set for lbs, upon which I send it to fsx, and confirm it in the FMC. Not to mention the lbs setting in the options menu. 

Hey, I'm only going off of the limited evidence you've given us.  I have to work with what I'm given.

Are you running both FSX and the load manager as an administrator?

Kyle Rodgers

Hey, I'm only going off of the limited evidence you've given us.  I have to work with what I'm given.

Are you running both FSX and the load manager as an administrator?

FSX for sure. Load manager ill have to verify, but I usually set any program associated with FSX with administrator rights. Ill check it later. 

Sorry, I thought I gave sufficient evidence to have some ideas. 

CYVR LSZH 

FSX for sure. Load manager ill have to verify, but I usually set any program associated with FSX with administrator rights. Ill check it later. 

Worth a check.  I've had some issues when I didn't run the Manager as an admin.

Sorry, I thought I gave sufficient evidence to have some ideas. 

No problem, but with the pictures painting a nice target on the 95% case, it's tough to go down other paths.  I just don't want you getting frustrated with me thinking I'm almost being intentionally unhelpful or the like.  The symptoms fit, so I'm trying to eliminate that completely before moving on.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Dave,

The performance sure implies very heavy. I see where you have tried many load configurations.

How about to prove she can fly "normally" you use the load manager to set minimum fuel and load. Ensure, as you may have already, that the load manager is in LBS, as is the PMDG options, so no risk of logic crossing for fuel quantity and load. 

You could then try 3 options:

1. Think of her as a very big Cessna and do not use the FMC at all. Hand fly her from CYVR to KBFI

2. Assuming 1.) above gives you no speed tape issues, then use say 1/4 load of fuel and cargo, this time use the FMC and program a short flight to say KGEG.

3. Assuming 2.) above gives you no issues, then keep raising the fuel/load weights until you get to max fuel/load. Sooner or later you may find what your issues have been.

The best training I ever received in my corporate life was in Kepner-Tregoe methods, which is a problem solving methodology...what-where-when-extent..... is/is not.

The 747v1 is a fantastic reliable a/c with many zillions of hours flown on many platforms. If all else fails, then Ryan at PMDG will very soon solve your issue. (though now hopefully a little busy with the 777)

Regards

Geoff Bryce

Worth a check.  I've had some issues when I didn't run the Manager as an admin.

No problem, but with the pictures painting a nice target on the 95% case, it's tough to go down other paths.  I just don't want you getting frustrated with me thinking I'm almost being intentionally unhelpful or the like.  The symptoms fit, so I'm trying to eliminate that completely before moving on.

Ok load manager was NOT run as administrator. Now it is but same result. 

Not frustrated with you, it was a logical thought. I was thinking about it before too doing all the load changes. Appreciate the help.

Hi Dave,

The performance sure implies very heavy. I see where you have tried many load configurations.

How about to prove she can fly "normally" you use the load manager to set minimum fuel and load. Ensure, as you may have already, that the load manager is in LBS, as is the PMDG options, so no risk of logic crossing for fuel quantity and load. 

You could then try 3 options:

1. Think of her as a very big Cessna and do not use the FMC at all. Hand fly her from CYVR to KBFI

2. Assuming 1.) above gives you no speed tape issues, then use say 1/4 load of fuel and cargo, this time use the FMC and program a short flight to say KGEG.

3. Assuming 2.) above gives you no issues, then keep raising the fuel/load weights until you get to max fuel/load. Sooner or later you may find what your issues have been.

The best training I ever received in my corporate life was in Kepner-Tregoe methods, which is a problem solving methodology...what-where-when-extent..... is/is not.

The 747v1 is a fantastic reliable a/c with many zillions of hours flown on many platforms. If all else fails, then Ryan at PMDG will very soon solve your issue. (though now hopefully a little busy with the 777)

Regards

Thanks for your suggestions and input as well. Indeed didnt want to bug pmdg as they are busy enough with 777 and hopefully progress with 747v2. (maybe we will get some screenshots soon :)  )

As for your troubleshooting, makes sense. I applied this when i was a cable tv technician. Anyhow Assuming 1)  did fail just after rotation again, got the red bar on the speedtape. Had no payload and only 40,000lbs of fuel.  Load manager (as administrator) send the load and all in lbs as  is in the menu options. 

Im at a loss. But thanks for the ideas guys. 

Back to my go to long haul aircraft, my trusty MD11 workhorse. 

CYVR LSZH 

Ok load manager was NOT run as administrator. Now it is but same result. 

Can you describe exactly - step by step - what you're doing?  I'll try and recreate it on my machine.

Crazy detail here: what livery, what load weight you're loading (use a preset, not random - otherwise I'll never get the same thing), what fuel you're loading, what unit in the load manager, a screenshot of your PMDG Options where the unit is set, and your FMC INIT page.

Kyle Rodgers

Back to my go to long haul aircraft, my trusty MD11 workhorse.

Hi Dave,

Strange behavior you are getting. Hope you can resolve it.

However, soon, the 777 and dah dahhhhh the 747v2, which should be fantastic.

As for your MD11 workhorse (as a FedEx virtual pilot, you need this bird)...I have just loaded it and my journey with it begins while waiting for the 2 new birds. Must say first impressions are I much prefer the Boeing FMS and flight sytems.

Regards

Geoff Bryce

Hi Dave,

Strange behavior you are getting. Hope you can resolve it.

However, soon, the 777 and dah dahhhhh the 747v2, which should be fantastic.

As for your MD11 workhorse (as a FedEx virtual pilot, you need this bird)...I have just loaded it and my journey with it begins while waiting for the 2 new birds. Must say first impressions are I much prefer the Boeing FMS and flight sytems.

Regards

The MD11 is a true joy to work with and fly. The FMS once you get to know it is functions very well. Its like a hybrid Boeing and Airbus functionality. The AoA course helped tremendously in getting to know this bird well. Will still be in use even when 777 comes out. Will be my freighter flights with FDX,.

Can you describe exactly - step by step - what you're doing?  I'll try and recreate it on my machine.

Crazy detail here: what livery, what load weight you're loading (use a preset, not random - otherwise I'll never get the same thing), what fuel you're loading, what unit in the load manager, a screenshot of your PMDG Options where the unit is set, and your FMC INIT page.

Ok Kyle, Got some screenshots for you. Its PMDG livery with GE and started at KPAE. Made a very simple flightplan to CYVR. Just a STAR. 1/3 Cargo load per manager. Doesnt matter as my problem happens on rotation. 

Im certainly no expert but I know enough to get around the cockpit well and love deep systems involvement. But nothing jumps out that is obvious in causing this. Oh and yes trim was set as per takeoff page. 

CYVR LSZH 

Try running it without any weather (clear weather) and see if it does the same thing.