Sign in to follow this  
shane_IT

Prepar3d and FSX - Same machine?

Wondering about migrating to prepar3d....... I currently use FSX and am wondering if I would run into performance issues if I installed them both on the same machine - or should it be one or the other?

I have both FSX and Prepar3D in the same machine without any issue. Of course, it is different if you try to use both at the same time in the same computer.

It works best if you have a different drive letter for each sim.

That way,if you have aerosoft products,it won't ask to repair if you are trying to install a p3d product where you also have fsx installed.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Hello Shane,

I am running both programs on the same Hard drive - after completely re installing every thing again ! - I suggest NOT  using the migration tool - it worked fine for awhile - but it eventually led to a Train Wreck ! - IE Re installing the programs again !

I am getting higher fps in Fsx - P3d is about 10 fps slower - but still very steady - not really very noticeable !

You should have very little problem as long as You keep the two programs SEPERATE !

I was able to Drag and Drop most of My favorite Aircraft from FSX to P3D - Be sure You have the correct aircraft installed for Sound and Panal Alaizing.

Scenery - I have stuck with Freeware - and have had very little problem ! - and Freeware can mostly be Drag and Drop !

You start using FSX Payware Scenery in P3D and the installer gets confused ( It likes FSX )- again Be VERY  carefull if You use The Migration Tool !!

Good Luck - I think You will enjoy P3d - Unfortunatly the P3d Eula states that Entertainment or enjoyment are Not Something that they promote !!

I like it !

Johnman           :p0504:

I am getting higher fps in Fsx - P3d is about 10 fps slower - but still very steady - not really very noticeable !

That wasnt my problem, i got the same number

I have both installed and running great on the same PC.  It's actually fun having them both and running tests and tweaks to see how they run with different payware installed.

I had both of them on my PC and had no problem. However, I've uninstalled FsX after a while. There was no point of keeping it honestly.

Once you get used to it, P3D much better and lot of addons coming everyday with P3D installer. With release of FTXG, I miss nothing I had in FSX.

• Upvote 1

How does it work with Active Sky Next and Aviasoft Flight Bag, do you have to redirect it to the Prepr3d directory? What about FTX Global, I have it on FSX with FTX Central on my desk top, does in create another one when you install again onto Prepr3d?

Regards

Marsh

I am resurrecting this old thread as I have the same questions. I am going to download/ install p3d on a new SSD on my computer (different drive to FSX).

What do I do with ASN, EZDOK etc? Do I install it again on the p3d drive? So I have two of them on my system? Will that not cause conflicts? Just trying to figure out the logistics.

Never understand questions like these... You do know you can run more than one program on your PC, right..?

Never understand questions like these... You do know you can run more than one program on your PC, right..?

So what is the answer then?? If I have a program like EZDOK installed for FSX, will it automatically fire up and sync when I open P3D? Or is some work-around needed?

Hi Richie

I don't know about EZDOK but for ASN you will need to download a separate version for P3D. You have 2 ASN's installed then, one for each simulator and just start the one you need for each session. As long as you have bought ASN you are entitled to use it for both sims. You can install it anywhere you like as long as you tell it the correct path to your simulator you'll be fine.

Cheers

Stu.

What do I do with ASN, EZDOK etc? Do I install it again on the p3d drive? So I have two of them on my system? Will that not cause conflicts? Just trying to figure out the logistics.

Stuart Furley

This was just a stupid comment. Of course everybody understands that you can run Chrome and Excel at the same time....

But it's not as straightforward to someone who never installed FSX and P3D on the same computer (same hard drive maybe) if an addon, like the global mesh addon "FS Global Ultimate" can be used by the other software (P3D) installing it only once.

How do you do it? Obviously you don't want to install an other 100 GB of data again just for the P3D.

This was just a stupid question.

There, fixed that for you...

The rest of your comment comes from your lack of reading context and failing to see that I didn't quote anything and was answering the original question of the thread.