Sign in to follow this  
Tyler Smith

FSX - in 2013 is it worth the energy/time/money when I have Xplane 10?

Not really sure about that usepools, as I had that on. I was getting crashes nonstop, when I switched it over it was fine...

I am thinkin of rebuilding the *.cfg again and using the avism guide as it seems to be in better order..

FSX - in 2013 is it worth the energy/time/money when I have Xplane 10?

Yes because X-Plane is idiosyncratic beyond enjoyment for a lot of us..... (others love it of course).   Oh there's the small fact that both the 64 and 32 bit versions of X-Plane 10 run like an absolute dog if you have an ATI video card (but great if you're on nVidia).

Contrastingly, FSX with all it's tweaks and amazing add-ons feels as new as ever.   I have never had a CTD with FSX for years, when I tried X-Plane 10, I got a CTD within minutes.

Some people will always dig FSX and some will dig X-Plane 10.

Neither is objectively better - just better to different people.

If Austin ever fixes the ATI issues, I would perhaps try XP10 again, but promises have been made before, and still it's an absolute hog if you have ATI GPU hardware and drivers.

FSX forever! 

So I am going to start flying outta PANC, as I was doing that last night in XPlane. I'm a lost as I know FTX Orbx needs to be turned off when your flying out of its coverage area.

However, I am trying to decieded between Ultimate Alaska X/Canada or Orbx FTX NA Blue SAK?

Just wondering if I should just stick with the UTX stuff for all of north america, or go full out with Orbx..

I am also planning on buying the Aerosoft airport for PANC...

Use both like sim heaven for western Europe vfr for Xplane got Belgium, Netherlands, Southern Germany, Northern France downloaded so far it's free and good as MSEv2 get Euro-Autogen ahh heaven. Use FSX for US and Canada and XPX for EU. Think it good to have both to use as you can compare and contrast. FSX get it like 25 bucks at store get gold edition, XPX global get that actually.

My personal opinion would be to go ahead and use P3D 1.4.  It's very similar to FSX, but a notch or two more stable.  It doesn't require nearly as much tweaking around.  With FSX it seemed like I couldn't ever get everything together... 

Plus almost all FSX add ons will work.  You will still have to spend considerable time setting up and doing some tweaking, but once you get everything tuned up you won't regret it.

With ORBX areas, and the new ORBX global and landclass you can enjoy a pretty plausible world that's a joy to fly in.

I haven't tried XPlane, but the conclusion that I've come to is that the graphics CAN BE out of this world and much better than FSX/P3D.  In general the FSX/P3D default scenery is low res and ugly. ORBX is a real step up, but let's face it, it's an old software engine and the terrain textures are just not up to 2013 standards as far as I'm concerned. 

But with XPplane the add on scenery isn't there to fill in the wastelands and all of the other aspects like AI, ATC, etc... to make a it a viable full on sim environment.  But you could leave it installed and enjoy certain areas of scenery and the night environment from time to time and catch a few moments of zen here and there.

In the meanwhile while we wait to see how P3D 2 and XPX progress, I think P3D plus ORBX  is the best option for the moment.  Just my two cents!

here are my concerns:
Stability in FSX is still an issue, I have added the menu fix but it still crashes when accessing menus
Vsync does not work in full screen
It may be fixed since I switched to the usepools=1, however before that it was crashing after less than 20 minutes of flight time from Vancouver
Cost of add-ons, I know you don’t need them all however to get closer to what xplane has and more it does cost
Windows 8 explorer crashes when not even using FSX, since it’s installing and REX my explorer crashes all the time and having a very difficult time determining the fix.

First of all Windows 8 is asking for trouble.  Windows 7 64 bit if you're serious about FSX.

If you still crash in menus, you didn't use the right uiautomationcore.dll  It's a vista dll; perhaps its conflicting with Windows 8.  Again use 7.

Vysnc absolutely works in fullscreen.  You don't even need the line in the cfg. What are your pc specs?  Nvidia recent video card; 580 gtx or better?  Using Nvidia inspector?

The correct line is usepools=0.  You don't want the cpu to use a "video buffer", You want it sent directly to the video card to free up to cpu for other things. No pool buffer; usepools=0.  It absolutely helps on my system, 25-50% boost in fps.  You do have a good video card right?

Crashing 20 min after Vancouver?  What kind of crashes? Like an OOM out of memory?  You shouldn't be getting any crashes.  Something is not right with your pc overclock or windows/fsx install.  Do you have FSDT Vancouver?  What plane are you flying?  What are your LOD, autogen, AI, road traffic settings?  You should not be getting OOM's in a light memory footprint addon like Carenado or Realair with realistic settings.  The ONLY time I've gotten OOM'S is the PMDG 737 NGX flying into a payware airport with a lot of AI traffic.  I can and do fly Carenado aircraft for hours over Orbx scenery with no memory issues.

NickN has been working on a document called the FSX Bible.  He's not joking with that name.  He puts a lot of great info in there about building and setting up a system for FSX.  Google it.

I think I'm going to buy a few payware that I have my eyes on for FSX. Once I get running stable and time to move on from Xplane. I just don't see much of a reason to waste any more money/time on xplane..

Hi Tyler,

I was in the same boat as you.  My solution is simple, lower the settings in FSX until I am happy and enjoy it and come back to XPlane in a year or so.  I parked my XPX installation for now and will come back later.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

First of all Windows 8 is asking for trouble.  Windows 7 64 bit if you're serious about FSX.

Truer words never spoken.

spacer.png

I am using the Vista uiautomationcore.dll and it crashes non stop... when accessing the menu.. argh

"Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 6.0.5840.16386, time stamp: 0x45398e5f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0001dd8d
Faulting process id: 0x97c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce880e4161eae4
Faulting application path: G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\uiautomationcore.dll
Report Id: 06749373-f403-11e2-bfd4-90cc1d62ea87
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: "

There are other versions of that .dll to try.

Maybe your FSX menu is crashing because you have the DLL installed

Did it click to you that the faulting module name is Uiauotmationcore.dll??

I didn't want to write a book, however I am using Word Not Allowed guide, and the only other edit was the usepools=1

That's actually not even a tweak. By default even thought its not listed in the fsx.cfg, the sim is already set to usepool=1 and has a predefined pool size . You can delete it out of your cfg and FSX will run the same.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

However, I am trying to decieded between Ultimate Alaska X/Canada or Orbx FTX NA Blue SAK?

Get both.  They compliment each other.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

For tweaking you could try also this automatic tool, take a backup of your fsx.cfg before using it:

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

It might work or might not. For some people its tweaking gives no advantage or might even give worse performance than before, then for some like me it seems to work well, after I ran my fsx.cfg through it I have gotten quite good and stable performance, good enough to make me not bother go through any tweaking guide.

If it doesn't work for you all you have to do is restore your old fsx.cfg to get rid of the changes made by that tool.

I will definitely stay with FSX and continue developing for it, lately I've started to experiment more with 3D modeling, I think I will get my first airport scenery product out within 6 months ( a couple of small airports in Greece) though it's the final year in college for me so studying eats a lot of potential development time...

While I respect Bojote for some of the great tweaks he's found (HIGHMEMFIX for example and BP=0) his venotube tool is full of outdated counter productive tweaks.

Much more effective to apply the 3-4 tweaks that actually work on modern hardware and be done.

Not really sure about that usepools, as I had that on. I was getting crashes nonstop, when I switched it over it was fine...

I am thinkin of rebuilding the *.cfg again and using the avism guide as it seems to be in better order..

You need a decent video card to use it.

BP=0 can cause graphic spikes but it shouldn't cause CTDs.

FSX=addons...period.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor