Sign in to follow this  
Tyler Smith

FSX - in 2013 is it worth the energy/time/money when I have Xplane 10?

I thought Orbx had to be turned off when flying outside of it's areas, and it didn't work very well with Ultimate Alaska X?

Ultimate Alaska X has it's own mesh and stuff?

I have both FSX and P3D installed. P3D is smoother and never stutters, and it looks nicer IMHO. And, as someone said, practically every FSX addon works. It's my sim of choice.

Now, if you want to use certain add-ons from PMDG or Flight 1, then stick with FSX. It's a, cough, cough, EULA thing. Oh no, I said it! I actually keep FSX installed just so I can fly the Flight 1 Citation Mustang. Otherwise, it would get uninstalled in a heartbeat.

Consider P3D. A lot of FSX users have made the jump and don't regret it. But there are other FSX users who have mastered the whole CDT issue and have it purring along nicely. Decisions, decisions.

Todd

Windows 8 as an operating system, does have faults, however there are a few nice improvements. With Windows 8.1 coming up in late August it may just turn around even more.

Well I don't want to sound rude to anyone. However I understand that the menu CTD can be fixed, I did try removing the *.dll that was causing the fault, than it switched to the one in my system32 folder.

I was able to smooth out all my issues with FSX; however the CTD due to menu was not something I could correct. I also recall last year I ran into a similar issue with Windows 7, and again was unable to fix the issue.

If anyone is wondering to why I never replied to the hardware questions is the fact I am an IT tech, and have over ten years of experience. I do not overclock my hardware as I have never seem real benefit in having a mild 3-4% gain on most overclocks, compared to the amount of damage the heat can do in return.

My hardware as guess is running Windows 8 on a SSD disc, with 4 TB of mechanical storage that runs on Sata3 at 6/GBs. Beyond that I run a I7 at 3.2 Ghz with 8 cores, 16GB of 1666Mhz DDR3 RAM, and a 2GB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 on PCI-E. The CPU is water-cooled, and the GPU has a series of 3 fans. The case has the front fan to bring air in, past the hard drives, into the case then blown out the back. Even running the highest gaming such as Battlefield 3 or Crysis 3 at max all the temps never reaches 60C.

I highly doubt my hardware isn’t capable of running a base install of FSX; however I do understand that Windows 8 may bring forth new issues. I just don’t see that as the case, however as I will explain below I have moved onto P3D.

I ended up with P3D last time, and hopped back on my P3D developer license last night. From the base install I have had not a single issue since I removed FSX last night. I already have bought the migration tool a year ago, so I have that going to for me. The issues with PMDG I am not going to get into as far I can tell and read before there are work-arounds and most of their stuff does work fine in P3D.

Now I am running fast and stable it’s time to enough some long flights!

I thought Orbx had to be turned off when flying outside of it's areas, and it didn't work very well with Ultimate Alaska X?

Ultimate Alaska X has it's own mesh and stuff?

Orbx and Ultimate Alaska work fine together. They even have a batch file on the Orbx forum that deactivates the UTX lights in the Orbx area so they flawlessly go together. You can also fly from FTX PNW/CRM/NRM into the US with no issues.

The problems were with FTX Europe and flying to mainland Europe. That will be fixed with the release of FTX Global.