Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How do I set the Radio (Radar) Altimeter?

.. the button at the bottom right of the RA sets the DH. The PSS manual says set the RA to 200', or to zero. But how?

Thanks.

.. the button at the bottom right of the RA sets the DH. The PSS manual says set the RA to 200', or to zero. But how?

Thanks.

It is ages since i used the PSS Concorde (i now use SSTSIM), but I think you just turn the knob and the yellow index bug will move around the dial.

Peter

Peter Schluter

RadioAltimetre1.jpg

Radio Altimeter used on the Concorde  (real world instrument picture)

The "bottom left" Knob marked DH moves the yellow DH bug,  currently set at about 460 ft.

It looks like there is a Red Light in the knob, that should illuminate  when plane is at, or below the DH bug setting.

The documentation I have agrees with the PSS manual. The bug is moved by the button on the lower right. looks like your picture shows the radio altimeter from the concorde prototype.

Peter

Peter Schluter

The documentation I have agrees with the PSS manual. The bug is moved by the button on the lower right. looks like your picture shows the radio altimeter from the concorde prototype.

Peter

Peter

I am impressed  -- well spotted  !!    You know your Concordes   :clapping:

Peter

I am impressed  -- well spotted  !!    You know your Concordes   :clapping:

Lucky guess !!  :biggrin:

Peter Schluter

Just to make sure it is understood.  What is being set here is the Decision Height Bug.  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks, but maybe I have misunderstood. What does 'set the Radio Altimeter' actually mean then? I assumed that this was setting it to current altitude based on the QNH, as one does for the standard altimeters. That's not the same as setting a decision height (which I do with the RA knob you mention of course).

When I hover the mouse over the PSS Concorde RA it shows (in a 'tool tip') a value quite different value from the set DH. It shows '2 feet' on the ground, and of course up to 2500' when climbing. Does pressing 'B' set the radio altimeter to current altitude too (I'll check that when I am next on FS)?

The confusion is that the PSS manual talks both about 'setting the RA' and 'setting the DH'.  I guess they are one and the same thing..

Martin

radio (radar) altimeter doesn't measure altitude. It shows height of aircraft and it's fully automatic. You do not have to do anything more than setting decision height(DH) bug. Pressing B should not do anything with RA, as it doesn't contain barometer.

I think you misunderstood whole concept of RA.

Oh dear. Despite what I put in my last post, I do know what an RA does and how it works. My point about setting the RA with 'B' was totally stupid of course, I know it works with radar/radio and not barometric pressure. What could I have been thinking?! :huh:

I was just really just asking what the difference is in the PSS instructions between setting the RA and setting the DH. But now I think about it a bit more logically, 'set RA' must mean 'set DH' .... What else could it mean? There's nothing else to calibrate.

Not my finest AVSIM hour! Hehe..

I know what an RA does (I fly real world with one), I was just asking how to set it according to QNH in the PSS Concorde.

Im sorry, but just reading these two sentences shows me you do not know.

Read again.. I edited it immediately after posting (when the penny dropped!). My bad ... a brainstorm I guess!

I was just really just asking what the difference is in the PSS instructions between setting the RA and setting the DH. But now I think about it a bit more logically, 'set RA' must mean 'set DH' .... What else could it mean? There's nothing else to calibrate.

That's right. There is nothing else you could possibly do with RA. :smile:

enjoy in Concorde.

Yes, I love this PSS model - I bought the CD version when it came out, years ago now of course. Just flew it across from Heathrow to NY and now flying it back to Paris CDG. It feels really 'classy' with rich jet sounds and great responsiveness.

Real-World memories: I am old enough to remember its maiden commercial flight from Heathrow (not far from where I lived then) - it flew more or less over our roof. I'll never forget it (you could just hear the afterburners start up from my back garden, so you knew it was coming over very shortly!).

I now live near Brooklands Museum in the UK, which has a BA Concorde you can visit: went round last year. It literally brings tears to the eyes to think that this beautiful bird is no longer flying. It's almost, well, sexy to look at!!!

How is the SSTSim a/c different from this one (in practice - I've read the Flight1 blurb)? I couldn't praise the PSS/JustFlight one highly enough..

Martin

SSTSIM is a little bit closer to the real thing (realistic navigation, and fuel balancing), but I prefer Concorde X these days.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.