Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

Speedbrakes when landing by hand

I try to land the B-737 by hand, ( no A/P,no Autothrottle ) and wonder if anybody can give me some hints as how

to do it ?

My landings are like a russian roulette,sometimes so so,most of the time failing. ( crashing into the ground or

bouncing up into the air again ).My speed shows 138 knots on touchdown,N1 about 55

1) Should I just watch the PFD and make sure the horizontal pink line follows the flight director and make

small adjustments ?

2) Should I concentrate on the runway and the forward view ?

3) Other

I also noticed that the speedbrakes deploy when touching the rwy but only when I do an autoland .

When landing by hand no speedbrakes extend even though they are armed.

I appreciate your hints and help,especially from somebody who has no problems to land by hand.

HubertWerni

I

Herbert Werni

Hubert,

This has been discussed recently, and in an effort to avoid having people retype it all over again, have a look here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/413776-landings-unautomated/

Landing - done yourself

Autoland - aircraft does it for you

No need for "manual, by hand," or the rest of that lot.  It only perpetuates the idea that autolands are normal, when in fact, they are not.

Kyle Rodgers

It's sad that "manual landing" is becoming a retronym. Unlike "acoustic guitar" or "home phone" - which show an advance in technology - "manual landing" shows a loss of technology.

Matt Cee

To do a good manual landing you need to watch speed location of runway, and listen to the call outs.

GAH!!! Next person to use that term is getting an engine dropped on them Donnie Darko style.  Seriously.  Stop.  It needs to stop.

For the health of the sim hobby, and future real world aviators everywhere, it's gotta stop.

It's sad that "manual landing" is becoming a retronym. Unlike "acoustic guitar" or "home phone" - which show an advance in technology - "manual landing" shows a loss of technology.

Yep. That or a refusal to understand the proper applications of the technology.  Even more sad is the fact that people defend it up and down here, but if I go to my local airport, or IAD to shoot the breeze with my pilot friends, they shudder at the thought.

Kyle Rodgers

We get it, but can we move one beyond the semantics at some point?

Windmills, windmills ;-)

-Marko

There is also a downside of landing (the normal way) all the time.  Have you ever had the experience when you are on approach and perhaps you did not do enough planning and checking of the weather, only to realize #$%& I am going to have to Autoland today with this vis and you have to scramble to figure out how to set the plane up to do it.  I have had this happen a few times to my surprise.  Now I try to at least practice a few autolands every once in a while just to stay sharp and know how to do them.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

There is also a downside of landing (the normal way) all the time. Have you ever had the experience when you are on approach and perhaps you did not do enough planning and checking of the weather, only to realize #$%& I am going to have to Autoland today with this vis and you have to scramble to figure out how to set the plane up to do it. I have had this happen a few times to my surprise. Now I try to at least practice a few autolands every once in a while just to stay sharp and know how to do them.

You should have the ils tuned with loc & g/s displayed on the PFD, auto landing or otherwise. Therefore the only difference is whether you press the A/P disconnect button or not. If you're scrambling around, you've done something wrong.

Just to clarify, by AP disconnect you mean turning off CMD?

See, I always get into turning off AT, both directors and CMD before I land and it's a lot of clicking.

See, I always get into turning off AT, both directors and CMD before I land and it's a lot of clicking.

You could assign them to buttons I think...

And if you don't wait to the last minute you'll have time.

It should be done by "click, click"  at AP button at yoke and "click, click" AT button at throttle lever -1 second job.

Yup

I try to land the B-737 by hand, ( no A/P,no Autothrottle ) and wonder if anybody can give me some hints as how

to do it ?

My landings are like a russian roulette,sometimes so so,most of the time failing. ( crashing into the ground or

bouncing up into the air again ).My speed shows 138 knots on touchdown,N1 about 55

1) Should I just watch the PFD and make sure the horizontal pink line follows the flight director and make

small adjustments ?

2) Should I concentrate on the runway and the forward view ?

3) Other

I also noticed that the speedbrakes deploy when touching the rwy but only when I do an autoland .

When landing by hand no speedbrakes extend even though they are armed.

I appreciate your hints and help,especially from somebody who has no problems to land by hand.

HubertWerni

I

Watch the PFD and concentrate on the forward view. Use the ILS commands on the FD to help maintain the glideslope and check airspeed to ensure it is stable at the correct value (typically Vref+5). But it's most important to look outside and make sure the runway picture looks good.  The PAPI lights will also give you glideslope information (though this isn't 100% reliable in FSX). If you flare at the right time your rate of descent will decrease and you should not bounce.  The altitude callouts will help with this but being able to judge it visually is something which can only come with practice.

As for the speedbrake, you need to arm this before landing ("shift /" by default).  The green speedbrake armed light will iluminate to confirm this setting. In this condition the speedbrake will deploy on landing.  However if you bounce hard enough it may disarm and so not deploy. If it does this, apply reverse thrust when you finally touchdown, as this will also depoy the speedbrake. If all else fails use the "/" key to deploy it manually.

ki9cAAb.jpg

It should be done by "click, click"  at AP button at yoke and "click, click" AT button at throttle lever -1 second job.

OK, but given that I don't yet own 737 yoke or throttle, those are the buttons we're talking about? CMD and A/T? Would FDs need to be disengaged as well?

-Marko.

GAH!!! Next person to use that term is getting an engine dropped on them Donnie Darko style.  Seriously.  Stop.  It needs to stop.

For the health of the sim hobby, and future real world aviators everywhere, it's gotta stop.

Yep. That or a refusal to understand the proper applications of the technology.  Even more sad is the fact that people defend it up and down here, but if I go to my local airport, or IAD to shoot the breeze with my pilot friends, they shudder at the thought.

I did a manual landing just now.  There I said it.  The world hasn't ended.  Your "manual landing" campaign is just as futile as my wish to reclaim the term FOD to mean damage and not the stuff that causes damage.  You need to get a sense of perspective about this.  Annoying as it may be, the use of the term manual landing has absolutely no impact on the health of the sim hobby, nor on what real world aviators think and say.

ki9cAAb.jpg