Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Why is GTX770 cheaper than GTX680

Can anyone offer an explanation? Is the 680 a better performer than the 770? Has anyone got any feedback they can offer who have experience of the upgrade. Cheers...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

The GTX 770 is basically a rebranded 680. Everything is the same apart from faster memory but comes at a much lower price. Upgrading from the 680 to the 770 isn't a good idea though

It's how Nvidia markets for some reason.

Kind of like how the 570 was cheaper then the 480. The 770 is a better card then the 680 from what I've read.

Mmm, interesting. Thanks guys...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Mmm, interesting. Thanks guys...

I was looking for used 680(s) bargains on e-bay a few weeks ago, but the prices (in comparison to a new 770) don't seem realistic there as well (at least then).  I've read last-gen GPU prices are slow to go down.  I guess the 680 market ATM is for the uninformed buyer?

This usually happens when a new generation of GPUs is replacing the current generation, even if this "new" generation is basically just re-branding. The GTX 770 is designed to replace the GTX 670, so it inherits its price. Stores are reluctant to reduce the prices since they paid full price for the cards.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

The 770 is much quieter and runs on less power for the same performance.

Quiter? Perhaps, but definitely doesn't consume less power. Difference in real life is not that big, but there is one clearly measurable. TDP values for them are 170W versus 230W, so there is quite noticable difference in maximum consumption, though.

GTX770 is practically same GK104 chip, which is inside GTX680. There are some modifications in memory controller, which allows better memory clocks. All in all GTX770 is basically little bit more clocked GTX680, main improvement is on memory bandwdth. Bigger clocks with pretty much same chip means higher power consumption. Is GTX770 better than GTX680? Sure it is, but not that much. Quiter? Maybe. I remember at least some reviews where these two scored pretty much the same noise values with reference boards and coolers. Does it consume less power? Nope.

Can anyone offer an explanation? Is the 680 a better performer than the 770? Has anyone got any feedback they can offer who have experience of the upgrade. Cheers...

The answer is "AMD". It has nothing to do with performance - it's all about the money. The price tags for the 770 and 760 are aimed AMD.