Sign in to follow this  
riftin11

Common real world start-up procedure?

I currently always start my NGX up in a cold and dark state, but I'm aware that pilots almost never enter an aircraft in a cold and dark state. I was wondering what is the most common panel state in the real world for a pilot entering the cockpit, whats on and what isn't?

Also, if there are any real world WN pilots could provide details, that would be great too!

Use the Long Turn and Short turn panel states.

Normally at the start of the day, engineers will go in and power up the aircraft, the crew will then come along for the first flight of the day with the aircraft in a long turn state.  

If you are starting the flight over a turn-around, use the short turn where all the initial set up has been completed.

Most pilots enter the aircraft in what would be considered a "short turn" state...minus the IRS's being aligned.  The most any pilots really have to do would be from a long turn, but rarely from c&d as the airplane never goes c&d unless it's at a hard stand overnight...but by the time pilots get a hold of it, it's already powered up by the ramp/maintenance from when they moved it back to the gate.

Pilots really don't have that much time between when they arrive at an airport to when they depart 30-45 minutes is normal...an hour at the longest.  Besides.  They're just as lazy as anybody else and want to have as light a workload as possible...especially First thing in the morning.

If you are flying during the day, and not the crack of dawn, more then likely you will have the short turn.

Pretty much only GA fliers have complete cold and darks each time.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

Whle entering a cockpit in the cold and dark state may be rare or not realistic, the flow to get the the plane powered and configured can only increase your sense on where everything is. It's not the normal everyday things that will get you, it's when something is gong wrong and your fumbling looking for the right system and switches that illustrate this.

But that's just me.  I am a button pusher and enjoy the interactivity provided by such an excellent product.

James B

Cold and dark might be more realistic for the regionals where the pilots shut the whole plane down to avoid using the APU if the GPU doesn't work.

Cold and dark might be more realistic for the regionals where the pilots shut the whole plane down to avoid using the APU if the GPU doesn't work.

I really only saw that for the overnights where I worked.  Then again, I was also working with a ton of different carriers, who had different procedures (one of which required the use of their own portable GPUs for their own aircraft.)

Kyle Rodgers

I start from a complete cold and dark state everytime as I don't fly the 737 very often.  I have Ground Power connected but not running, and wheels chocked.  Doing it this way I check everything and test the various systems and it works in a flow so nothing gets missed.  I guess I do the maintenance guys work for them!

Rob

The only problem I have with the short term is that the APU is running. Generally, and more so at WN, they try to limit the APU use to pushback only.

The only problem I have with the short term is that the APU is running. Generally, and more so at WN, they try to limit the APU use to pushback only.

You could load up the short turn state, turn of the APU, connect the GPU and save it as a custom state, might work better for you

I really only saw that for the overnights where I worked.  Then again, I was also working with a ton of different carriers, who had different procedures (one of which required the use of their own portable GPUs for their own aircraft.)

They only went to C/D if the turn is one hour or longer, if its a quick turn then they fire up the APU as soon as I give them the hand signal.

Over here is difficult to keep the planes cool so the APU is usually left on unless its a very long turn (3-4 hours) but our 777's always have them running, they don't even bother hooking up ground power. 

[...] if its a quick turn then they fire up the APU as soon as I give them the hand signal.

Ya'll have a hand signal for an APU turn?  We were on the receiving end of all of that.  Power was all their discretion.  We just hooked it up and took it out on signal.

Kyle Rodgers

Ya'll have a hand signal for an APU turn?  We were on the receiving end of all of that.  Power was all their discretion.  We just hooked it up and took it out on signal.

We snap an imaginary stick which signals that the GPU is broken, no point in hooking up the GPU if its inop.

Just to add to the informative replies up there, PMDG's included a cool option to startup the sim in the "Last Flight" state. helps with all the maintenance clocks running in the background for more realistics wear. I use it all the time, and it makes gives me a challenge with an unexpected failure from time to time.

You shutdown the engines, APU is running, left AFT fuel pump ON, ELEC HYD OFF, Park break SET or wheel chocks, etc.

When you quite the sim, that state is saved, and will be loaded next time you load the NGX, however, it seems that that state applies to all variants. I would love to see that the "Last Flight" panel state could apply only to the particular aircraft you last flew.

Cold and dark is a real operation for extended periods on the ground with no maintenance activity's taking place.

Maintenance and flight engineers power up the aircraft at the start of a long turn, however, pilots would do so themselves sometimes.

Some airlines don't seem to care about 120 KGs fuel burn per hour in a 1 1/2 hours turn around.

We snap an imaginary stick which signals that the GPU is broken, no point in hooking up the GPU if its inop.

Gotcha.  I must've misread your earlier post.

We used similar when the pilots often busted a jackie-chan-meme.png every time there wasn't a GPU hooked up.

No joke.  It was always a *GPU hand signal* followed by the above.  I'll give it to them, though.  Most of the rampies at IAD wouldn't do it.  Half the time it seemed to be because so many were out of service that they just stopped checking to see if they'd work.

*Point at wall mount*

*Snap motion*

*Pilot rolls eyes and throws it on the APU*

Like I mentioned in the other thread, we also had to use converters from 6 pin to 3 pin for the SLAABs and the E145s.  To make matters worse, those broke a lot too (our rampies were...rough), so I'd always double check with the SLAAB crews with:

"Hey - blue light of happiness?" (the EXT PWR AVAIL light is blue when it's avail)

"Huh? Oh...yep!  The power works today?"

"Nope.  My ramp just operates on 28V PFM..."

Kyle Rodgers