Sign in to follow this  
maple-syrup

I've had my share of turbulence and FUN!

Could someone help me make sense of what we're looking at in the second video?  I'm not terribly familiar with the 767 control surfaces.

So I can see the flaps are down for takeoff, but is that the spoiler deployed above them?  Why would the pilot have that engaged for take-off?

Or is it just broken and flapping around loosely?  In which case those passenger screams seem a little more justified!

Regards

Dr V

Could someone help me make sense of what we're looking at in the second video?  I'm not terribly familiar with the 767 control surfaces.

So I can see the flaps are down for takeoff, but is that the spoiler deployed above them?  Why would the pilot have that engaged for take-off?

Or is it just broken and flapping around loosely?  In which case those passenger screams seem a little more justified!

Regards

Dr V

The pilots are essentially just 'rolling' the aircraft into the direction the wind is coming from by putting the ailerons on that side of the aircraft up. It's standard practice when it comes to crosswind takeoffs. 

The ailerons on all commercial aircraft now are connected to the spoilers, these are called Roll Spoilers.

I see.  That does make perfect sense now.  I'd not heard of spoilers being used for attitude control until now.

Thanks for taking that time to answer, chaps.

Dr V