Sign in to follow this  
ViperPilot

Tips for LHC Turboprops

Ever have a problem with the PT-6 on your Quest Kodiak or Epic LT try to run away at Start Up? When you release the Parking Brake, does your Kodiak or Epic start to roll forward?

Mine did, until I got this tip from the LHC folks in their 1st Newsletter, published back in May of '11. I thought I would post this tip in the appropriate place; the NEW LHC Forum!  :lol: 

From William Ortis:

"Something has been occuring between Flight Simulator, new Joysticks with reverse thrust option, and thrust settings.  Some people have been reporting in with issues concerning startup in turboprops, not just by LHC, but others as well, though not all.  What happens is when you start the turboprop, it runs out of control with a wild flare up, then returns to normal idle RPM and thrust.  This is only with new reverse thrust joysticks and FSX when on the water.  We tracked the issue down to several points.

I am happy to announce that there is a fix, and its super simple.  Go to your turboprops folder, such as the Epic_LT.  Look for the 'aircraft.cfg' file and right click on it.  Choose 'Open With' and find Windows Notepad.  Open it with that.  Navigate down to 'Beta_min=15'.  You can get there quickly by clicking Control/F and punching in 'Beta_min' and 'FIND' will get you there fast.  Next, note that its at setting 15.  This was standard in FS2004 and is also on the ground in FSX, but on startups with turboprops, FS does a wild thing (both FS9 and FSX) as it can spike the throttle high, when you have a joystick that has the reverse thrust' notch in it, giving the engine 10 to 20% throttle during the start mode (flare up).  Its worse on the water, as FSX now has a very low drag setting on Floats, so the plane will rocket forward.  We think thats why the Cessna Caravan wasnt offered as a float plane in FSX was the start issue.  So...  Back on track, take the setting of Beta_min and change it from 15 to perhaps 5, even 1.  Some preferred less then one, such as 0.5 setting (for float planes).  I suggest a setting of 3.  This will be good and keep you from running forward.

My own computer does not have this issue, but others have reported it.  I recommend it for those that like to do 'cold dark' startups on the water."

Thanks to the folks at LHC for the tips, and the great airplanes!

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Hey VP,

Thanks for the post!  That's from quite a while back.

I am going to sticky this.

Bill

Bill,

I figured it would be pertinent here since there are quite a few who use the Epic for the RTWR., and lots who use the Kodiak in the Bush.

Awesome airplanes; keep on Truckin'!

:smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I just got the Quest Kodiak.  Great plane ,but I have the 'rocket' effect on startup with both the land and the water model . Parking brakes are on (except water); I set the prop to 0, fuel to 30%.  I tried setting the beta min to 0.5.  When I fire up the turbo away she goes.  I have to hit F2 and the brakes to stop. By then I'm either half way down the runway, crashed into a building or beached.

Any other ideas to get this stallion calmed down?

Thanks,

Alan

I know I'm a little late to the party but I've got a similar prob w/ the Realair Turbine Duke taxi speed.  

Have to control the Duke's taxi speed w/ throttle reverse thrust beta. Some guys say lowering condition levers do the job but I've not had any luck going that route.

I control reverse thrust w/ a button on my Saitek X-55 Throttle.  Wish it had the reverse thrust detent option like the Thrust Master Warthog throttle where you lower to idle & lift up to go into beta.  That's way more realistic.

I know I'm a little late to the party but I've got a similar prob w/ the Realair Turbine Duke taxi speed.  

Have to control the Duke's taxi speed w/ throttle reverse thrust beta. Some guys say lowering condition levers do the job but I've not had any luck going that route.

I control reverse thrust w/ a button on my Saitek X-55 Throttle.  Wish it had the reverse thrust detent option like the Thrust Master Warthog throttle where you lower to idle & lift up to go into beta.  That's way more realistic.

See my post on this topic. http://www.avsim.com/topic/493041-starting-kodiak-floatplane/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310