Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

GEP Texture Question

I've been using the default "partly cloudy" texture set for the longest time without creating any new ones.  I recently created a set for "clear skies" and really like the textures.  It works well even in cloudy situations.  I like the more vibrant look of it.

My question is.. If I create another "partly cloudy" set, what difference will I see compared to the default "partly cloudy"?

Probably just a slight variation in color balance or lightness/darkness. If you go into the ground texture menu you'll see some colorize options where you can generate a set of custom tinted textures; when you let GEPro auto-generate a set of textures it just chooses some random settings from those colorize options and builds a set from that. So "life is like a box of chocolates..."

Also have a look at the colorize options for sky textures, there is a row of pixels across the top of each sky texture that control various lighting things in the sim, you can lighten or darken up your entire sim environment just by changing the color of a single pixel on the sky textures. (that's how "Shade" for FSX works incidentally)

Jim

Jim,

I seem to remember that info about the sky textures from reading things over the years.  Do you know if there is a guide around describing exactly what does what?

Ron

Probably just a slight variation in color balance or lightness/darkness. If you go into the ground texture menu you'll see some colorize options where you can generate a set of custom tinted textures; when you let GEPro auto-generate a set of textures it just chooses some random settings from those colorize options and builds a set from that. So "life is like a box of chocolates..."

Also have a look at the colorize options for sky textures, there is a row of pixels across the top of each sky texture that control various lighting things in the sim, you can lighten or darken up your entire sim environment just by changing the color of a single pixel on the sky textures. (that's how "Shade" for FSX works incidentally)

Jim

Thank you for the informative reply, Jim.  I'm going to start making more ground textures.

I've never tried GEP sky.  I think it's going to be fun experimenting with different pixel colors for the sky.

I have Shade for FSX so once I get FS Global 2010 for FS9, I'm going to try darkening the pixel and see if I get similar effects as Shade on FS9.  Shade does a remarkable job at adding more depth and realism if the mesh is good.  Only downside is darker clouds.

Thanks again.

Jim,

I seem to remember that info about the sky textures from reading things over the years.  Do you know if there is a guide around describing exactly what does what?

Ron

Here's a diagram I made up a few yrs back, GEPro lets you colorize these pixels, set a high contrast between the first two pixels in the upper left and you've basically got Shade.

environment_pixels.jpg

Jim

Thanks, Jim!  (I think.)  Looks like some more hours playing with the internals rather than flying.  :-)