Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FTX-Global....Fantastic!

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

GEX replaced your default FSX textures with more optimized better performing textures.  This is why it is not in your Scenery Library.  I believe FTX Global will be listed in your Scenery Library which indicates it is standing alone and will trump out any default or GEX textures.

Best regards,

Jim

No, FTXG also replaces your default FSX textures (or the GEX textures if you have them installed) and FTXG will not show up in the library. It works just like GEX in that regard. The only thing that will show up in the library is the included landclass.

No, FTXG also replaces your default FSX textures (or the GEX textures if you have them installed) and FTXG will not show up in the library. It works just like GEX in that regard. The only thing that will show up in the library is the included landclass.

Good info!  Thanks!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

[quote name="I agree that FTX would be doing themselves and us a favor by converting FTX Global to X-Plane 10/64bit, but I doubt if they will listen.

I, for one, would buy it again.

I'm pretty sure orbx and p3d are partnered up in some way. I wouldint be surprised to see global be included with p3d v2. I might be wrong but we can only hope.

Kacper Nowotynski

Mitch, so what do you recommend.  Should I be uninstalling GEX first?  How about UTX, do I need to change it's status to Inactive first maybe?

Hi Noel,  After my initial install and down in the dumps FPS, I fired back up FSX, and then went into my Scenery Library. I saw that some of my landclass UTX files had been written below the new installed ones (Global). I brought them back up above (landclass should be the first and top-most files...before any scenery files..) any scenery files. Closed down FSX, rebooted the entire system...and then when going back to FSX, my original pre-install-Global FPS were back to 28.9.  I did not uninstall anything.  If you had been using UTX night lighting, go into your UTX region setups, and turn that feature nonactive.  That's all...and am loving what FSXG has brought to the table.

Mitch

I think he means to move FTX Global down in priority within your scenery library, so that the UTX landclass is toward the top

I think Global needs to be above UTX - correct me if I am wrong

Official directions:

openLC Scenery Library Entries

The openLC included with FTXG is contained in two initial folders inside the ORBX folder:
FTX_OLC\FTX_AA
FTX_OLC\FTX_EU1
These folders represent the base openLC folder (FTX_AA) and the first Europe folder (FTX_EU1) which contains
the Baltic States openLC demo. When you add more openLC products, more folders will be added to the
ORBX directory and also the Scenery Library.
If we look at the Scenery Library menu (FSX shown below; select Settings | Scenery Library) in this example we
can see two new entries added after the FTX Global installation. These entries are NOT tied to any Orbx FTX
folders like before, meaning you can move them up or down as you wish. This will allow our openLC landclass
to work in conjunction with other third party landclass products.
The simple rule to remember is that the highest priority in the Scenery Library always takes precedence, so if
you want a particular landclass product to override openLC or other products, just move it higher in the
Scenery Library.
IMPORTANT: You must always place the ORBX!OPENLC_BASE folder below all other ORBX!OPENLC* folders in
the scenery library, otherwise the fixes to SE Asia, Greece, Spain etc will not work correctly.

Yes, to get my FPS right back up, I moved all my UTX files above anything else. They go from 1----to whatever. Then all my other lib files start. That did it for me. Some say that where the UTX (landclass) are in relation to anything else doesn't matter) In my case, I had to disagree with that. Anyway, each to their own methods. The good news was that it worked for me, and have no further problems, only enjoyment of the product and change in scenery! :)

Wow - reading all the positive reviews on here makes me wonder whether I should drop the bomb and get it....

....probably will. :happy:

You'd be dropping a bomb on yourself, IF YOU DID NOT! :)   You'll love it. Michigan LOOKS like Michigan!  I haven't even flown much out of state because of having way too much fun with rubber-necking! :)

... went into my Scenery Library. I saw that some of my landclass UTX files had been written below the new installed ones (Global). I brought them back up above (landclass should be the first and top-most files...before any scenery files..) any scenery files.

Sorry, can you clarify that please? When you say "first and top-most" do you mean in the Scenery.CFG file -- i.e. with lower Layer numbers -- or do you mean in the in-FSX Scenery list? My UTX files have ALWAYS been below (lower Layer numbers in Scenery.CFG) all add-on scenery Layers, which sounds as if it may be the reverse of what you say is correct, yet I've never noticed anything awry.

Maybe I've always had it wrong?

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I think you are right Pete....  At least that's the way I have had them too without any problems.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Sorry, can you clarify that please? When you say "first and top-most" do you mean in the Scenery.CFG file -- i.e. with lower Layer numbers -- or do you mean in the in-FSX Scenery list? My UTX files have ALWAYS been below (lower Layer numbers in Scenery.CFG) all add-on scenery Layers, which sounds as if it may be the reverse of what you say is correct, yet I've never noticed anything awry.

Maybe I've always had it wrong?

Regards

Pete

I had always had my landclass at the start top most layer (1..and onward down..2,3,4) as this should be read first for then the scenery to add layer over. That is how I have always had it..and have always had stellar FPS performance. What happend, is that when FSXG went onto my system, it wrote itself into my library half way between all my UTX's.  I got crap performance. I then went to look at my library after posting, and saw what, was what. I then took up the UTX (landclass files) that had been all ahead of everything else in my lib, and reunited them with the others. I then saved the lib, and rebooted the system. After my desktop came back, I fired up FSX, and my FPS at my FBO were back to pre-install and only GEX'ed 29.9 and holding. It  has been that way with every flight since then.  So in otherwords, place all landclass (of any kind or author) starting at level 1 and work down. THEN...place scenery and airport files below (higher number) the last landclass you have.  Does it make a difference?  It sure did on my system, and has always given me burp-free FPS performance. Running FSXG has not shaved one FPS off of the deal...but looks a 'generic fabulous'.

Odd... FTXG only added two landclass entries at the top of the scenery library on my pc. Which is where they are supposed to be unless you want other landclass to take priority. Don't forget that right now the FTXG landclass only has effect in parts of Asia and in a demo area somewhere in Eastern Europe.

The idea is really simple: you put the things in the order you want to use them. So the landclass that you want to give priority should be the topmost landclass (which doesn't mean it has to be at the top of the list because the list consists of more than landclass!) and the one that comes second in your priority list should be second. I use UTX landclass but also Norway freeware landclass and the latter is positioned right in between UTX urban (above) and UTX vegetation (below) which results exactly in what I want. My landclass entries are something like number 15 to 18 in my library because I have a lot of other scenery addons above it.

It's odd that the order has such an effect on performance on your PC, specially because you probably were flying where the FTXG landclass didn't do anything and UTX was showing as it always did. But well, computers... ;)

I had always had my landclass at the start top most layer (1..and onward down..2,3,4) as this should be read first for then the scenery to add layer over.

Ah, so you do mean the same as I, lower layer numbers in the Scenery.CFG, not in the FSX menu listing.  In the latter it is the first entry which is on top, the last on the bottom, but the Scenery.CFG lists them in the order in which FS processes them.

Pete

So what is the correct order in the library? First UTX and then FTXG?

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk 2

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Ah, so you do mean the same as I, lower layer numbers in the Scenery.CFG, not in the FSX menu listing.  In the latter it is the first entry which is on top, the last on the bottom, but the Scenery.CFG lists them in the order in which FS processes them.

Actually, re-reading your answer, "start top most layer (1..and onward down..2,3,4) as this should be read first for then the scenery to add layer over.", either you have the numbers wrong, OR you do really mean the opposite of what I understand. The first layers processed, numbered 1 up to about 100+ (depending on SP2 / Acceleration etc) are all default FSX installed layers. They need to be there, processed first, to establish the world and allow add-ons with higher layer numbers, later in the list, to override them with "flattens" and "deetes" and so on.

If you are talking about layers 1, 2, 3, 4 in the listing in the FSX menu then I think you understand the opposite, which would make the default stuff override and scenery you've added, so I certainly think that's wrong.

My unknown here is where landclass layers need to be in relation to the other stuff. I've always had them at lower layer nmbers so they are processed first -- not the top of the in-FSX list so they are processed last.

Regards

Pete

Land classification is going to register by what is read last (higher up in the Scenery Library inside FSX), which is why you can "sandwich" certain properties of an add on like UTX.

Okay, so I have it set okay. The assorted land class layers I have are in the order I want them in, with later ones (in Scenery.CFG file order) registering over earlier ones, and related scenery positions later too.

Next: I have a water colour problem since installing FTXG. For example, the Thames and the reservoirs south and west of EGLL are a pale green now, as if they are completely covered with moss or algae! Is that something I can rectify in FTXG, or is it something else?

Regards

Pete

Pete

Right, I have all my landclass in the Scenery Library starting with the number 1...and onwards...2,3.4.5,etc. Where the landclass ends, I start to list out my scenery and airports. Correct.