Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FTX-Global....Fantastic!

Right, I have all my landclass in the Scenery Library starting with the number 1...and onwards...2,3.4.5,etc. Where the landclass ends, I start to list out my scenery and airports. Correct.

But the first 100+ layers are default layers, including those defining basic things in FS, so surely you don't truly mean 1, 2, 3, etc.

Each time I make a post trying to clarify what layer numbering and ordering folks are using, the reply comes back ambiguous still! Layers in the CFG file, which defines the order in which FS processes them, is the opposite of that seen in the FS menu entry for the scenery order. If you truly mean numbers 1, 2, 3 in the menu then your landclass is being processed last of all, on top of all add-on scenery. Maybe it still has some effect there, or maybe not, I don't know, but if not that may well account for a marked difference in performance!

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Hi Peter,

We did not touch waterclass in FTXG so not sure what is influencing the Thames water colours for you to be honest.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

We did not touch waterclass in FTXG so not sure what is influencing the Thames water colours for you to be honest.

That's what I thought. So something in the layering has changed. I'll do some experimentation. Thanks for the reply.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

That's what I thought. So something in the layering has changed. I'll do some experimentation. Thanks for the reply.

Pete

In the worst case you can open any of the landclass definition files in the sdk TmfViewer app and see what the coverage is and what the final (applied) LC/WC value is considering layering.  The problem is there is no good way of determining what bgls are LC/WC definitions and the geo extent of the files except by trial and error in TmfViewer unless the developer was kind enough to use some sort of logical naming scheme.  Once you determine which file you want to have priority, it is simply a case of ensuring the scenery area containing that file has the highest relative priority (among any/all other LC/WC for that QMID15 quad) as determined by the scenery area layer number (larger number means higher priority).  If you are doing other terrain texture mods via regions or seasons, the same rule applies -- determine the relative priority you want for the regions/seasons in TmfViewer and apply using scenery area layer number.  At the end of the day,  each QMID15 quad will have a blended texture synthesized at run time using the LC/WC/Region/Season values at each corner of the quad and then day/night blending.  Vector terrain textures are then burned into the blended texture.

That's for terrain within the LOD range of the viewport.  In the distance a much simplified method is used that doesn't use textures (except for a "noise" texture detail1.bmp).  In the past a complaint of terrain textures mods has been that the colors of this simplified distant terrain don't match well to the textured terrain resulting in the "iron cross".  I thought the applied colors of the distant terrain was hard-coded (maybe in lclookup.bgl)?  I am curious if FTXG did anything about this?

scott s.

Right, I have all my landclass in the Scenery Library starting with the number 1...and onwards...2,3.4.5,etc. Where the landclass ends, I start to list out my scenery and airports. Correct.

I would have thought the landclass would go above the mesh and below the airports. Strange how you put the landclass on top of the things that would go on top of the landclass ie airports, roads

I would have thought the landclass would go above the mesh and below the airports. Strange how you put the landclass on top of the things that would go on top of the landclass ie airports, roads

Afaik FSX is clever enough to know what is what, so it will layer for instance the landclass in the right order regardless of other entries that may be inbetween the landclass entries. FTXG automatically puts its landclass entries at the top of the list without causing any problems. The order of various items seems to be of no importance: only the order of SIMILAR items is important.

So afaik this:

Landclass 1

Mesh 1

Airport

Mesh 2

Landclass 2

would result in the same scenery as this:

Airport

Mesh 1

Mesh 2

Landclass 1

Landclass 2

or this:

Landclass 1

Landclass 2

Airport

Mesh 1

Mesh 2

Please correct me if I am wrong! ;)

Not if the airport defines it's own landclass ;)

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

So if I have UTX and I install FTXG, what is the correct setup in the scenery library to do?

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk 2

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

So if I have UTX and I install FTXG, what is the correct setup in the scenery library to do?

If you want to use the FTXG night lighting you should disable the UTX night lighting using the UTX setup tool. That's all, really.

It doesn't matter, FTXG lights don't work on UTX roads, so you can keep both on for max enlightenment ;)

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

I just installed UTX to compliment FTXG last night , and I have to say, it did wonders for South Florida. Default landclass is such a joke in that area that FTXG only put shine on sh!#. But I am happy to report that both these products work pretty damn well together. It, more or less, reorganized the textures to make more visual sense. Can't wait for Orbx OpenLC! :good:

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

That's all...and am loving what FSXG has brought to the table.

Nice, thanks Mitch.  Does one purchase cover BOTH FSX & P3D do you know?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

That's all...and am loving what FSXG has brought to the table.

Interesting. Does FSXG work well with FTXG?

JUST KIDDING! :P

I'm not going to post that I have the 'technical answer, Jose88, but in a nutshell, here is what happened to me, last Saturday, early morning.

1. I purchased and installed FSXG with no hitch, it installed, and said that the install was finished.

2. I rebooted and fired up FSX.  At my FBO start-up, I settled into 12-16 FPS and when having taken off, went to 11-16,17 FPS.  Before the install, I had always pulled 29.9 FPS

3. I decided to look at my Scenery Library, and noticed that where I had always had my landclass files starting with the level number 1..and downwards, you know,...2,3,4,5, etc, I now had ORBX entries cutting some off below those entries. 

4. I took the time to move those UTX (my landclass are mostly UTX products, including for Central America and the Carib) ABOVE the FSXG entries. I then again, rebooted my system..and fired up FSX upon seeing the Desktop.

5. As soon as FSX placed me at my FBO (KFNT), there again was that magnificent 29.9 FPS!  They stayed there at taxi, and into the air towards Michigan's U.P.  Whew!

Some say it doesn't matter in the Scenic Library (the menu item when you are running FSX, and NOT the scenery.cfg file...) what you have where. By my absolute experience, it does to my FPS-Love.  In a nutshell, here is what I do. I have all LANDCLASS files in the list starting with the number '1' and working down from there. This includes other landclass that I have that is not UTX, but from payware, or freeware authors.

I then have my scenery files and custom airport files below the grouped landclass. This has always brought me high-level FPS stability, and performance. That's what I do...right, wrong, or indifferent! :)

Nice, thanks Mitch.  Does one purchase cover BOTH FSX & P3D do you know?

You're welcome. I don't know about P3D, Noel...I have not purchased that to date.

• Upvote 1

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.