Hi I have downloaded the trial version of MCE and today tried it with the Majestic Q400.

I have one major issue:: The copilot kept complaining that I was close to stalling, even though I certainly wasn't as I was flying more than 200 mph. I even got it while accidentally over speeding. What am I doing wrong here?

Also, I really hate the "smart" remarks from the coplit, is there a way to make him more business like?  

Helge

Helge Rasmussen

Hi I have downloaded the trial version of MCE and today tried it with the Majestic Q400.

I have one major issue:: The copilot kept complaining that I was close to stalling, even though I certainly wasn't as I was flying more than 200 mph. I even got it while accidentally over speeding. What am I doing wrong here?

Also, I really hate the "smart" remarks from the coplit, is there a way to make him more business like?  

Helge

It's very likely due to MCE not reading simulator data correctly.

If you want to keep Windows UAC enabled, there are two things you need to do.

Install the Demo to the default \Program Files ...\ folder and set "fsx.exe" to run as admin.

Right-click "fsx.exe", select <Properties>. Click the <Compatibility> tab at the top and make sure option <Run this program as administrator> is ticked.

Affirmative, you can disable the "smart remarks" (they won't look good when MCE can't read data anyway) by telling co-pilot

No more nagging please

Keep quiet

Stop nagging please

etc...

That should keep him business like for the remainder of the session.

If that doesn't wok you can permanently disable nagging via the mce.ini found in

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Multi Crew Experience\ folder

Change "DisableNagging=0" to "DisableNagging=1" and save the file.

Don't forget to download the additional voice packs, William, Clive and Jean-Claude.

They will work with the Demo too.

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

I do have UAC turned off, and I have FSX set to run as administrator as you describe, but I do not have MCE installed under Program Files. I have all Fsim stuff in another directory, could that be the cause?

Helge

Helge Rasmussen

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

I do have UAC turned off, and I have FSX set to run as administrator as you describe, but I do not have MCE installed under Program Files. I have all Fsim stuff in another directory, could that be the cause?

Helge

I don't know if it's the issue. Normally, when UAC is disabled, it's possible to install MCE to whatever location you want.

For the purpose of the Demo, suggest you un-install MCE via Windows Control Panel, then re-install to default \Program Files...\ folder.

I assume you ran "setup" for installation aand not "xPack.msi"

The Q400 does not use standard FSX variables, so your add-on may be unable to assess what the Q400 is actually doing..

Bert

I changed the setting in the ini file (DisableNagging=1), but I still got "smart" remarks. Here are a couple of examples:

- When setting the parking brake: "It is not very considerate to set parking brake that way."

- When asking for check list: "I beg your pardon? Check List? Ofcourse!" (And then the checklist starts)

I find stuff like this very VERY irritating :)

Unfortunately the trial ran out before I got it installed in Program Files, so I never got it to work correctly with the Q400.

A trial is a good idea, but 3 days is way too short, especially when there are problems. 

Helge Rasmussen

I changed the setting in the ini file (DisableNagging=1), but I still got "smart" remarks. Here are a couple of examples:

- When setting the parking brake: "It is not very considerate to set parking brake that way."

- When asking for check list: "I beg your pardon? Check List? Ofcourse!" (And then the checklist starts)

I find stuff like this very VERY irritating :)

Unfortunately the trial ran out before I got it installed in Program Files, so I never got it to work correctly with the Q400.

A trial is a good idea, but 3 days is way too short, especially when there are problems. 

There are two types of naggings.

Those related to FO monitoring the way you fly. Things like reminding you to keep heading or speed bug. These can be disabled via the "DisableNagging=1" option.

There are other occasions where FO will chime in. Example, you pull the parking brake before the aircraft comes to a complete stop (assuming MCE reads aircraft speed correctly). We never had people complain about this, but it would be easy to add an option to prevent that.

As for the checklist, this is intended to inject some realism. If you want the FO to be business like, go to "mce.ini" once again, and under the [checklist] section, change "strict=0" to "strict=1" and save the file. But don't complain later when the speech engine accidentally recognises "pushback checklist" when airborne and the FO goes straight into business and starts reading that irrelevant checklist section without "bugging you" with "are you sure about that?".

If you contact support(at)multicrewxp.com, we'll send you a link to the extended Demo, which will give you another 3 days or 30 runs whichever expires first.

Thank you

Edit: If you want the Extended Demo, make sure you act quickly. There is a built-in protection whereby no further Demo can be run past 10 days after the very first MCE run.

Concerning the brake, I didn't know it referred to me still rolling. If that was the cause, then its fine.

Regarding the checklist thing: I did not have to say anything, it said the text "I beg your pardon? Check List? Of course!", I did not have to say anything more before the checklist started, so I did not see it as a confirmation question.

I will mail support about the extended trial. Thanks :)

Helge Rasmussen

Ok, got the extended trial, and also figured out what was wrong.

I was not running FSX directly, instead I started a FPS limiter that in turn started FSX. This meant that just setting administrator rights on FSX wasn't enough, I had to set the rights on the FPS limiter program.

After doing this nearly all my problems went away. I no longer have those "smart" remarks coming. They probably showed up because MCE could not read the status of FSX and then complained because it thought that the plane was in some strange state.

Only problem currently left is that MCE complains when I set the parking brake in the Q800. Apparently it thinks that the plane is still moving when I do this, even though I certainly am not. This is a minor problem, and can live with it.

I am going to test a bit more now :)

Helge

Helge Rasmussen

Ok, got the extended trial, and also figured out what was wrong.

I was not running FSX directly, instead I started a FPS limiter that in turn started FSX. This meant that just setting administrator rights on FSX wasn't enough, I had to set the rights on the FPS limiter program.

After doing this nearly all my problems went away. I no longer have those "smart" remarks coming. They probably showed up because MCE could not read the status of FSX and then complained because it thought that the plane was in some strange state.

Only problem currently left is that MCE complains when I set the parking brake in the Q800. Apparently it thinks that the plane is still moving when I do this, even though I certainly am not. This is a minor problem, and can live with it.

I am going to test a bit more now :)

Helge

I have the same issue, I think it is mostly because of the "lag" in sync with the external FDE, which MAY also be the culprit in some of the bounces people report.

I have only seen this with the Q400, so you are probably right.

I have another question:

The co pilot keeps asking me for runway in use, and I cannot figure out what to say. Also, what is he using this information for?

Helge Rasmussen

Getting ready for departure, just tell him "departure runway is 25 centre or left or right", or if he asks, just tell him the runway.

When I am underway, I tell him the destination, for example "we are going to EDDF" and then you can tell him the landing runway "landing runway is 25 centre"

Or if he asks for runway in use just tell him "25 centre"