Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Thinking about the B777 or A320....

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.... will give the B777 a go, this will be my first complex aircraft for XP.

I must go find an existing thread here with info on all the goodies to get for XPX/64, I only have the stock XPX scenery, etc. Any recommendations for stuff to get? Or any suggestions of a good thread to go look at?

Thanks, Bruce.

In terms of scenery, you can't miss 

http://simheaven.com/

http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/

http://www.alpilotx.net/

http://www.x-plane.fr/content.php

apart from the usual add-on sites. Also don't miss  "uwespeed"'s Madeira ( LPMA ) and soon to become available ( I guess... ) Santorini!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have both the 777 and the JAR A320. They're both excellent add-ons and both have come a long way with updates they've received since v1.0.

I do agree that the 777 is the more 'complete' aircraft of the 2 although JAR have recently released v1.5 beta of the A320 which I'll test tonight as it includes numerous improvements to the flight model and some extras like terrain radar and load manager. I think they've done a great job on the systems with the A320 particularly the managed CLB and DES modes, constraints (at the moment it doesn't seem to do speed constraints so I always have to manually select the speed on the FCU if there is one) but the flight model has always felt a bit odd and it seems to have trouble maintaining CRZ or selected altitude during turns.

If you do get the 777 make sure to get the Extended version if you can as it also includes the -300ER and cargo variants.

The WL 777 is still a bit buggy for my liking...

Just came from an LEMD - LPPT flight.I used the new NOAA GFS weather injector plugin and can confirm it is great BUT!!!! while wind transitions are smooth, beware that you'll have clouds pop in pop out just like in FSX, from time to time :-/  Then, there is yet another little annoying problem - this injector can inject good turb data, and sometimes X-Plane 10 interprets that turbulence at higher levels than it should IMHO - poor 777 wings....

Then VNAV is still full of bugs in the WL 777 - sorry, there is simply nothing coming closer to what PMDG ( and others ) offer for FSX in X-Plane 10 !!!!  I had everything correctly programmed and as usual my 777 forgot to initiate it's descent at TOD... duh... 

There were also other bugs, during climb... 

Peter's A380 is very good in terms of FBW and even following a flightplan with altitude constraints, but it has a very rough interface far from what the typical Airbus FMGS is and some good add-ons for FSX model...

So, for those that say they still feel better in FSX / P3D, if this type of flying is what they're up to, I have to agree and accept their point... :-/  and hope that X-Plane 10 and it's best addons get better with time... I will patiently wait :-)

agreed

I bought XP last week and part of the reason I did was because of how amazing the 777 addon looked (amongst other reasons of course). The hype has matched the reality and I am very pleased with my purchase! To think that a couple of guys have almost matched what PMDG take half a decade to make in a year or so is amazing. Very talented.

Uggg.    It's not remotely close to what PMDG makes.  The reason PMDG,FSlabs,ixeg, majestic and other high end companies take a long time to finish a product is the DEPTH and accuracy of the product.The R+P 777 does not have depth or accuracy in many areas so they are able to create a product much faster.

since day 1, I never had a problem with VNAV :blink:  :Thinking:   have you installed it correctly?

jcomm probably expects the vnav to work as published in the boeing manuals.   Vnav and many other functions do not work properly in my 777 either.  I had this same problem when trying to explain to people how  assumed temp is broken and how the EEC does not work as it should.   they see the N1 number move don't a point when they peg the assumed temp at 60c  and say " see it works"  ( btw if it was modeled correctly valid input would be 0-99c)  and if it was modeled correctly you could override it by pressing the throttle levers all the way forward.   In the R+P 777 you can never override it.    I had one flight where one engine failed and it STILL would not override my derate.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

jcomm probably expects the vnav to work as published in the boeing manuals.  

More or less that mike, I'd say I expect something at least as accurate as Aerowinx PS1, and PSX will make it even harder to achieve :-)  PMDG stuff is what comes closer to the level of detail Aerowinx PS1 provided when it was released in 1997, and later updated to it's final version around 1999. Whow! that is QUALITY / ACCURACY / ....

Of course I can accept simplifications, if not for other reasons simply because I can't even tell the differences between most of the details of the simulator vs real thing, but when it comes to even basic aspects, like those you mention, it's a show killer to me :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Please do not forget about Peter's Aircraft. I often fly his A320. It does not have a 3d panel, the FCDU is far from complete. But it has something that makes me return to it even after every JAR update.

I think it's the flight dynamics, autopilot precision and fly by wire simulation. If you dig into the manual you will see that you can do many things to the waypoints. It let's you fly SID's and STAR's and even non precision approaches. Not as easy as other products who load them from a nav database, but you can key all necessary data in and watch the best A320 simulation doing the "push button" job. The autoland is great.

Please do not forget about Peter's Aircraft. I often fly his A320. It does not have a 3d panel, the FCDU is far from complete. But it has something that makes me return to it even after every JAR update.

I think it's the flight dynamics, autopilot precision and fly by wire simulation. If you dig into the manual you will see that you can do many things to the waypoints. It let's you fly SID's and STAR's and even non precision approaches. Not as easy as other products who load them from a nav database, but you can key all necessary data in and watch the best A320 simulation doing the "push button" job. The autoland is great.

+1  I fully agree!!!! I'd say the best FBW, and autoflight ( including autoland under extreme weather conditions ) I have seen in any simulator!

I only have the A380, and I am waiting for a more stable X-plane 10 before investin in the 320/21s by Peter.

I actually pointed it out on post #11 above :-)

Main Simulation Rig: